1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lou Williams traded to Rockets for Corey Brewer, first round pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raz, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Too much urban?

RiceRockets and daywalker02 like this.
  2. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Lou Williams definitely helps, I think we did pretty well at the deadline considering we also shed Brewer (who cost more than Lou) and we have Lou for the next season also. Players like him that can create, get buckets, and do it efficiently are huge come playoff time. Tucker would have been nice, but I've been seriously considering if we shouldn't have target Nurkic based on what the Blazers pulled off. He doesn't really fit our offense, and would have been a road-block to Capela's development though.

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Speaking of Lou ...chemistry has gone down the drain since he got here. I'm sure it has nothing to do with his personality. But guys dunno what their teamates are gonna do.

That second unit is the perfect illustration of "chicken with its head cut off" play on offense and they are just too small to be effective defensively unless the hustle is turned up to 11 ... and that's not sustainable outside of stretches.

of course , the bigger problem is dantoni. He should be playing 3 guard for 12-15 min a GAME not per HALF ... he plays 3 guard that much even when Ryan was healthy... tonight we played it the entire game.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Trade Sour Lou and a late first for Corey Brewer

Get it dun Murray

5. Fantasma Negro

I still stand by this, plus he's streaky as ****. Should've traded that first to Denver for Nukic

W22_STREAK likes this.
  6. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Capela for Nurkic AND we dont have to surrender a first rounder

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  7. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Lou is in a slump, but in the playoffs just watch Ryno, or Lou go off in some games. I believe the confidence of the team is a little shot, they are hesitating on shots. Lou is a creator to the basket, we will need this asset in the playoffs.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

How big has Lou been in the last 3 games! Another great trade by Morey.

9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

7 rebounds and some key steals this last game. Great effort.

raining threes likes this.
  10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bump...

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Thank you once again Magic Johnson

Good luck to you Corey Brewer. Hopefully BJ finds you a spot in Memphis to replace Portons

J.R. likes this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Saved our ass multiple times. It's too bad James couldn't be himself this year. He had more than enough help to beat the Spurs.

14. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Lou was pretty awful that series.

Nook likes this.
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

lou will's defense is among the worst in the league for a rotation player, at any position. same goes for his shot selection. would not be surprised if he's not on the roster come training camp.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

His shot selection has got to be bottom 3 in the league. 4 of every 5 shots are a runner/floater/fadeaway/off-balance.

pippendagimp likes this.
  17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not that we'd want Brewer, or that we'd really value the 28th pick in the draft - though you never know, all-stars have been picked there or later plenty of times - but it certainly will be frustrating if they do decide to move on from Lou and have to attach another asset with him to move him for cap space.

We'll all be happy at that point, because that move will be made ostensibly to sign a "better" free agent but it will be frustrating when viewed individually.

I have no concrete view on Lou. It's possible without him the Rockets lose in the 1st round. It's also possible that could have been a good thing. Or its possible the Lou addition kind of threw something off chemistry wise - it certainly adjusted EG's game/role a bit, not necessarily in a good way. add in the EXTREME volatility in his game, the fact that he was absolutely horrible for 5 straight games to end the season, his questionable shot selection, and lack of defense... and I just don't know.

Consider he was 14-43 the last 5 games against the Spurs including 1/13 from three and only 2 free throws across those 5 games and he was a huge net negative in losing that series.

I wonder if DM could move Lou and get cap space AND an asset in return instead of having to attach an asset. The Lakers are apparently looking to move Clarkson, and one would assume would want an actual positive asset back. I have to imagine Lou is valued more highly than Clarkson

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Aren't you describing incremental increase in value of your assets. If Lou is flipped for a better player, then flipping the 28th pick for Lou might have been a requirement of the subsequent trade.

Further, if we hadn't made the trade, the that 28th pick would probably be used in a trade scenario vs Lou, right? So what value on the court did the pick ever provide.

Both scenarios result in no pick. One gives us half a season look, and probably is more valuable in trade than the pick -- thus an incremental increase in value of assets that lead the a summer trade.

I'm not seeing why you'd get frustrated other that if (like DD) you just don't likecontinuously flipping assets -- in this case, flip a pick for player A to flip for player B. Versus just flipping pick for Player B

vator likes this.
  19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

despite all the good points you stated, i actually think DM would not have much trouble unloading lou b/c many around the league probably just blame harden for not letting lou do his thing. they'll say he was money w/ the fakers and just never got comfortable in houston. plus at his contract and expiring, he won't be much of a risk to take on. as far as what we can get back, my guess would be a high 2nd rd pick in a few weeks

Vivi likes this.
  20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm speaking more to the potentiality that they move Lou and have to add another asset - eg. next year's first rounder -in order to do it, to create cap space.

It's not a big deal in the big picture, as they'd have to had attached the same thing to move Brewer had they kept Brewer, but of course they already moved this years.

It's just an in retrospect type post, Lou wasn't really as value add as I hoped, that's for sure - as solid as he was off the bench some games and in round 1, he was horrible as much if not more of the time, so more than anything I guess its lamenting the first we gave up this year to get him.

I mean that's the 28th pick and it was clearly a good deal at the time. But I'm a fan, I can also judge in retrospect. And in retrospect to the extent there ever was an opportunity to get in on the Ibaka, or Nurkic action, again in retrospect, would have preferred to make those moves, even if it meant trading slightly more value out.

Is what it is, no big deal as far as assets go... and there truly is the potential perhaps to flip Lou for some cap space and an asset in return, instead of having to attach an asset to him. It's hard to argue his value is anything more than a late first round pick though since he was just moved for that.

Would the Bucks want him for the 17th pick?