1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Loren Woods impressive in his debut against Pryzbilla

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LiLStevie3, Jul 13, 2001.

1. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Loren Woods scored 24 points, grabbed 9 rebounds, had 4 assists, and blocked 6 shots in only 32 minutes. The downside was his 7 turnovers. He looks like a big time steal for a mid second round pick. He definitely played better than his center counterpart, Joel Pryzbilla. Name ring a bell? Yup, its the player we traded to the Bucks for Collier and the 22nd pick this year, a year ago in the draft. Well, it looks like we made a hell of a deal. Pryzbilla looks like a bust. He had 4 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, and a block.

<a href="http://www.proexposure.com/stories/0713c.html">Box Score</a>

------------------
    "I look kind of dumpy. Look at my butt. And what kind of shoes do they have me wearing? At least they got the chinstrap beard right."
    -Kevin Garnett on the KG bobblehead dolls during KG bobblehead doll night at the Target Center

[This message has been edited by LiLStevie3 (edited July 13, 2001).]

2. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Bust? You got to be kidding me. If Pryz was playing for the Rox those numbers would of earned him a 50 million dollar deal.

------------------
    "I have amazing, powers of observation"...Pink

3. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

So lilstevie I guess that makes Collier a bust too?

One game in a meaningless off-season game means nothing. I definetely think Pryz will be a much bettter playe rthan Collier, but god I am glad we made that trade in hind-sight!

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

4chuckie,

Was Przybilla injured most of last year? I honestly don't know...

------------------
    "I'll tell you this, the older I get, the less I trust people. It's true. It's damn true." -- gr8-1 going through some growing pains.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

DOD,

He was healthy throughout. While it's too early to judge for sure, when both players were healthy (which for Collier was just a month), Jason was by far the superior player. Of course, last year was just their rookie seasons, so we will see down the line.

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

6. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

A little early to call Pryz a bust. While I'm not a big fan of his game, he's only 22 (2 years younger than Collier). The Bucks drafted him to help sometime down the line, not immediately, so I would wait awhile before declaring him a bust.

IMO the biggest part of that whole deal wasn't Pryzbilla, or Collier, but the extra #1 pick that we got.

------------------
    I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip that I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I think they (pryz and collier) both suck.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

What I find amazing though is that people say give Pryzbilla a chance, and then proceed to just tear into Collier. Pryzbilla never had an offensive game, even in college, and his defense in college was against SMALLER guys, that's why he dominated defensively. The jury is still out on him.

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

10. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Have, not of, have!

I personally think Pryzbilla is the second coming of Greg Ostertag, plus teeth.

------------------
    All hail Fadeaway's Cyberfish -- your 2000-2001 BobFinn* Fantasy Basketball League Champions!

11. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Although I wanted the Rockets to get Woods(before the Morris trade), I wouldn't say he is a steal just yet. A big performance against Pryzbilla is hardly a major triumph.

------------------
    Anger is a weed. Hate is a tree.

12. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Cat-
    Collier a superior player? I love your loyalty to the guy but Collier is not a SUPERIOR player to anyone in the NBA. He is a role player.
    There is a reason why Pryz was projected as a lottery pick last year and the same reason many felt Collier wouldn't go until the end of 1st or beginning of the second round.
    Pryz left school early and only played limited games his last year due to his eligibility. Collier had 4 years to hone his skills so at this point he is more polished.
    Let me say again in hind-sight that the trade was great, in the fact it got us the extra #1 pick. But, Collier will never be anything but a 3rd string center in the NBA. Give Pryz 2-3 years and he will be a starting center adn a contributor.

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Collier a superior player? I love your loyalty to the guy but Collier is not a SUPERIOR player to anyone in the NBA. He is a role player.

I said Collier was superior last season and he was. When healthy and given the backup center minutes, Jason consistently went in and got 8-10 pts and 3 rebounds per game in about 15 minutes. Pryzbilla never had a stretch like that.

There is a reason why Pryz was projected as a lottery pick last year and the same reason many felt Collier wouldn't go until the end of 1st or beginning of the second round.

It doesn't mean it's the right reason. I would've thought everyone could see this by now-- every year underclassmen centers are hyped up much more than they deserve to be. They all have big bodies, can play defense and rebound (in college), and the perception is that teams can build them an offense as the years pass because they are younger and have that "potential". See Bryant Reeves, Erick Dampier, Adonal Foyle, Tony Battie, and Michael Olowokandi as examples. Are they solid players? Most. But I fully expect Jason to have roughly the same impact as they do over the course of his career.

But, Collier will never be anything but a 3rd string center in the NBA. Give Pryz 2-3 years and he will be a starting center adn a contributor.

Not even Bucks fans think that highly of the guy. [​IMG] Maybe he will turn out good, but I have my doubts. He was the one center before the draft I really hoped we wouldn't get, because offensively I just don't see it, and defensively I always thought his blocks and rebounds came more from his massive height advantage over college centers than actual strengths in those areas. Of course, I've been wrong on evaluating players before, so maybe I am again.

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you guys are misreading th post. The Cat called him the superior player, not a superior player.

As in:

Two players were drafted in 1986. Chris Washburn, the #3 pick in the draft, was a total bust, playing in parts of three seasons before being kicked out of the NBA for drug problems.

Meanwhile, John Salley was the 11th pick and had a somewhat more palatable career, playing as a role player for many more years than Washburn.

Therefore while neither is a superior player, John Saley is the superior player to Washburn.

------------------

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I read it the same way as Ottoman!

But remember that George Karl doesn't play rookies much, Pryz was uninjured all last year and sat (to learn) - personally I don't think he'll come round, but we'll see.

------------------

16. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Cat, you do realize the catch you put in your own post right?

I said Collier was superior last season and he was. When healthy and given the backup center minutes, Jason consistently went in and got 8-10 pts and 3 rebounds per game in about 15 minutes. Pryzbilla never had a stretch like that.

Exactly when did Pryz ever get a streak himself where he was the backup, and doing that while healthy? I dont believe he ever did. I mean Im just pointing out the flaw in your eqation.

------------------
    "I have amazing, powers of observation"...Pink