1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking to get a bicycle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BrieflySpeaking, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

2. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

Yeah definitely a buyers market for used bikes in Houston! Wow I am surprised the bikes are priced that high! as you know bikes don't hold their value.

3. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Yeah, if I'm lucky enough find one, they're overpriced. Everyone down here wants top dollar for their used stuff.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Try 2ndswing.com and just start with a few clubs. Maybe any combination of a 5, 7, 9, and a hybrid or driver. Or try taking your current clubs to a Golfsmith store and see if they can re-shaft them to be longer.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Or instead of a budget road/mountain bike get a good comfort bike made specifically for comfort. Not for speed or downhills or jumps.

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Just picked this guy up off of Woot for my daughter to tool around college next year. Got it for about $200 off of sticker.

[​IMG]

7. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

How is it living close to the border? Is it as dangerous as they say it is? Or is that just the news sensationalizing it all?

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Bikesdirect.com

9. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

10. Bandwagoner

I'm still LOLing at all of the road bikes being suggested to a guy who said he wanted something "comfortable and durable".

That isn't a hard requirement to meet for 300 bucks. It also in no ways suggests a budget/old road bike. Because those are not as comfortable or as durable as a commuter/urban/city bike.

11. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

That's a matter of opinion. I have a hybrid and a road bike and unless I'm going to be going off road I much prefer the road bike. If it's properly fitted and not set up in some crazy racing geometry then there really isn't anything that uncomfortable about a road bike.

I would suggest going to some bike shops and trying out different types of bikes to see which one works best.

12. Bandwagoner

Forward lean is pretty uncomfortable. So is a tiny seat to save weight. Comfort is subjective but city/urban bikes are designed with comfort and durability as a priority. Road bikes compromise on that for light weight and speed. That isn't a matter of opinion it is a design strategy.

I agree on going to a bike shop. As someone said earlier, fit is the first priority.