1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking into buying a house...Question?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Eddie5ball, Sep 30, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Eddie5ball

Eddie5ball Member

Anyone know of a few good websites? Im looking to get some prices and info for the Deer Park area...any help thanks.

2. Landlord Landry

welcome home!!
    [​IMG]

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I grew up in Deer Park and my family still lives there. Don't move there. It's a craphole of a town.

But the best housing site on the net for our area is www.har.com

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

5. Eddie5ball

Eddie5ball Member

lol thanks Harrisment I'll see what I do, I lived in Houston my entire life and like it over lol

6. raw10628

raw10628 Contributing Member

My best friend is a realtor and can help you to find the perfect place. Send me an email through the board if you would like his contact info.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Deer Park != Houston. :p

Try driving around the area you're considering, then seeing some signs of houses "for sale" there, and calling some realtors selling those homes. :eek: That's the way Mrs. SwoLy and I bought our first home. We drove around the area we wanted, then found a nice-looking house. The lady selling it for the owners said "it's already sold, but I have others, would you care to see?" and we did.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

www.har.com

is the free Houston area MLS. It will have every house listed by an agent on there. It won't have for sale by owners and typically doesn't have foreclosures.

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I would like to buy a house now but I don't think I can get a better deal than my rental price is now.

$410.00/month
    3 bedroom
    1.5 bath

New AC, water heater, and plumbing. Good neighborhood and the owner basically lets me do as I want.

I would still like to buy someday though.

10. playlife

playlife Member

11. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Hey SwoLy-D,

You ever going to send me your addy? If you're still curious about prices in your neighborhood, let me know.

12. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Zillow is a poor estimator of housing in Texas due to the new rules about keeping sales comps private. It can basically only look at asking prices in the area and hcad appraisals which are worthless, but it CAN give you a ballpark.

Another thing, you are going to get a steal right now, especially if you buy a new spec from a builder.

13. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

ziprealty.com has been pretty good imho.

14. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

I used har.com...we used this website a lot when we were looking at houses.

For the love of God, please use an experienced inspector or two inspectors because you do not want to find things that were missed during the inspector and the sellers didn't disclose them.

15. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

This guy likes the area.

[​IMG]

16. SwoLy-D

Do some PHYSICAL visiting through the neighborhood at night, then on a weekend, then on a holiday, to see how it is and how it would be in that area to see if you would still like it. Don't let the computer be the only guidance. :eek:
    Sorry 'bout that. I thought I had answered in another thread. I think we're considering the price ranges, and such, but... oh, what the heck, I will email you off the board, brother. :cool:

Just to clarify, we know whom we would like to use as our real estate agent, but we can still talk, I guess? Expect a message from me soon.

17. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

I'm not trying to get your business. I thought it would be better if you hear two agents CMA and compare them. :D

18. SwoLy-D

Yeah, I understand.

It was nice to know that this agent we found didn't just say "Oh, no, it's sold. Sorry..." and that she went about her business, but that she explained the House Buying process entirely for us, and so we had a foundation to how to approach this and to get a good deal.

It's been six years, so yeah, like you say, the person you would refer may say a couple things mine would forget about the House Selling business. I think it's good we discuss this like so in this thread. I am sure Eddie5Ball doesn't consider this a hijacking. :D