1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking for Streaming PC for TV

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by davo, Mar 15, 2012.

1. davo

davo Contributing Member

I would like some advice on getting a PC that I can connect to my TV and stream content from the web. The features I am looking for:

- Enough processing power and graphics capability to display full screen flash/silverlight/other, from sources such as HULU, netflix, youtube, ESPN3 etc, and also 1080P divx/mkv files.
    - HDMI out
    - Quiet
    - Small form factor preferred but not mandatory
    - This will be connected to my large screen plasma

I know some of you will suggest aple tv, roku etc, but those devices don't work for me. I subscribe to some services (such as Aussie Rules broadcast) that are only available on PCs.

In the past, I experimented with a an Asus Eeepc with Intel Atom/Ion - despite the claims that it could handle the above, it never really did. I always had problems with it, specially full screen flash. Of course, it was one of the first generation Atom/Ion combos, so perhaps things have moved on.

I am not averse to buying a barebones PC and building my own, but in order to use my internet subscription, it must be Windows or Mac - Linux/XBMC will not work.

I know I can buy Core i3 laptop that will probably do the job, for around $400 so I guess that is the price ceiling.

Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated - especially around the minimum processor/graphics combo I need to guarantee performance.

davo

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

i'm the last guy to pretend like i know what i'm talking about, but isn't Apple TV new softward upgrading to basically allow you to AirPlay your entire desktop/Mac to your tv? That's what I hear.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/03/14/the-new-apple-tv/

3. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

AMD A6-3500 on an A75 motherboard if it's strictly HTPC use only. That's probably the minimum nowadays for flawless 1080p viewing.

4. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

An Xbox 360 or Playstation.

5. davo

davo Contributing Member

Thanks for your responses.

JayZ - I think the airport needs the source to be an apple product, or I would need some 3rd party software/hardware to stream from my windows PC to the appletv.

br0ken_shad0w - would that processor be ok for full screen flash? My understanding is that the flash can be more demanding than purely playing back a 1080p file?

Cowboy - I don't think Xbox and Playstation will work for me, as some of the streaming sites need a PC to work.

6. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Didn't know you have a desktop PC. You can take a look at this McTiVia.

But you still have a problem. How are you planning on controlling your TV if it's away from your computer? The only solution is to built a cheap mini HTPC for around $500 or get an HTPC Asrock CoreHT Series for around $700 or better off a laptop. Lots of products out there can easily stream your contents from your PC but the real problem is accessing the web browser.

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

for around 500 your best bet is to get a mac mini.

8. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

That's why I didn't recommend the e350 which seems to be popular among HTPC hardware. Apparently, that had issues with 1080p flash or silverlight (read that several had problems with Netflix HD). A6-3500 basically smokes it away and should be more than enough for what you're doing.

9. davo

davo Contributing Member

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

you can get a used mac mini

12. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

WTF you talking about dude I have a Pentium quad core 2gig memory and only 500gig of HDD space and I can watch online streaming content fine. You don't need a super computer for this ****z just get the ****z you can afford and roll with it. Every body on here probably gonna recommend top of the line ****z but you don't need it. You just need to know where to find the content and that I possibly can or can't help you with depends. Good luck, hehhee.