1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking for knee injury advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by withmustard, Mar 2, 2012.

1. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Dancing at the club last weekend I felt a "pop" in my inside knee but there was no pain, I even danced for a couple more minutes.

Later that night I decided to jog a little to the car and felt a sharp pain. Since then I've had a lot of trouble walking and pain that doesn't seem to be improving after 6 days now.

I feel that the damage is to the MCL, the same place I felt it "pop". There is no pain when standing, only pivoting or side to side movements. I keep it straight when walking because is hurts to bend the first couple degrees but then is painless the rest of the way

I guess my questions are

1. How likely are an Meniscus or ACL tear in combination with an MCL tear? Does my lack of healing indicate it's one of those or am I just being impatient.
    2. How much is surgery. 3. Anybody have any advice on cheap routes of knee care in Austin for the uninsured? I'm pretty active and would HATE to give up basketball because I can't afford surgery. I'd almost rather be in debt than quit basketball.

Any other comments or things I should know would be really helpful. Thanks

2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

1. i think you're being impatient. if it's an acl tear, the pain will eventually subside significantly in about 3 weeks.

2. i tore my acl 2 years ago. decided not to have surgery. have no idea how much but i have good insurance too.

3. i tore it while playing basketball. since i didn't have surgery i'm basically acl deficient which means that i did give up basketball. :( my age had a lot to do with my decision too. i can still run in a straight line, hike, and squat though. i don't think i can ever ski either. another :(

3. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Sucks man, do you regret not getting surgery?

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xAquRuqyQQc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

only when i'm at the gym and watching them play 5 on 5. surgery isn't going to be the only cost. i knew i'd have to give up a year of my life in physical therapy and that cost money too. i could never play at the same level either so what would have been the point.

6. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not concerned about physical therapy. I have friends who will show me exercises to do at home.

7. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Sounds more like a meniscus tear. An ACL tear would hurt like hell, I tore mine in 05 I was 30. Not having surgery wasn't an option I was playing in two leagues and coaching.
    I came back after about a year and was as fast as before if not faster due to my rehab and workouts(Had a better shot too since that's all I could do lol!). Right now you need to ice it for 30 minute intervals and use a brace. I have a meniscus tear right now that flares up when I play, usually ice and elevation cures the issue.

8. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Sounds like my story, torn ACL basketball, no surgery. Since then I reinjured my knee several times. Right now have a meniscus tear... can't even jog. If I try, my knee me lock up and swell on the inside and I won't be able to straighten it.

9. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Girl baller?

10. Bigpetelikeiron

Is it swollen? I tore my ACL and it was pretty big and impossible to bend for the first 2-3 weeks. Took about 6 weeks to recover fully. I did not have surgery either. Here in Austin we have a program call HAAM which is free insurance for musicians. Regardless of whether or not you play music they can provide you with plenty of cheap or free opti

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

exactly what kind of dance move were you doing?:confused:

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Go to the doctor and pay to get it diagnosed, at the very least. I know what it's like to skip that because of finances and i wish i could take it back. the last thing you want is to get it wrong and make it worse, either injuring it further or making the injury last longer, which adds more wear and tear overall.

After that, you can wing it (treatment and rehab), if you must, using information from the internet and contacts you may have, assuming surgery isn't needed.

13. esteban

esteban Member

Before you decide any route, you've got to know what's wrong with your knee first. Don't guess about your knee, find some good orthopedics and get some tests on it if you can afford it. You may want to take a look at prolotherapy.com, this therapy basically put me back together after I'm done with pro tennis.

14. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I had a meniscus tear and surgery to repair it two years ago.

When curling and extending your leg, do you reach a point about mid-way through where you feel pressure and pain, and then once you push through that point the pain subsides? If so, it's likely the flap of torn meniscus getting caught between the knee joint bones.

My surgery went well, and the doc said I should be up running and exercising within a couple of weeks. I had some personal issues arise post-surgery so I never really performed the post-surgery rehab. This caused my recovery to take longer than expected, and it was about a year before my knee felt really normal again.

So if it is a mensicus problem and you have it repaired, be very good about doing the rehab and you'll be fine.

I believe my surgery was about $19,000 total before insurance paid their share. My share was around $3,000.

15. esteban

esteban Member

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

This is one of my biggest fears when playing basketball is tearing up my knees.

17. esteban

esteban Member

18. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Very informative. It feels like what you described. Gosh, 20,000 might be worth a full recovery to me. I need to get medical insurance ASAP. :mad:

19. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Wow thanks man I'll look at HAAM. Not too swollen but severe pain with some movements. I think ACL is least likely. I'm just hoping for an MCL injury bc those heal, but It's not really healing as fast as I'd like.

In the past I've been really lucky and only suffered from broken noses and stitches in my lips and face from basketball. This knee stuff is scaring the crap out of me.

20. RUDYG

RUDYG Member

He was pulling a tmac he didn't want to leave the dance floor or club. Can u learn to dance on ur left leg