1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking back 5 years ago . . .

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by subtomic, Aug 28, 2001.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I view it as Will joining in on the kick the losers some more by stealing our ability to actually lose the bet gracefully. You happy now Will. Bet reneging punks like HOOP-T can get in their shots now for me not actually losing my post count.

btw: anyone notice that Will doesn't use smilies?

#21 heypartner, Aug 29, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2001
  2. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Oh Lord......that is a gem! Our ability to lose gracefully? Nice try.

The flood gates are open, all losers of the bet report to the office for post count reinstatement at once.

:p

He he he he he!
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha!
    Ho ho ho ho ho ho ho!

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Lol. Isn't this whole thread a "big what-if"? We are speculating about what would have happened in the past because we are entirely bored in the present and tired of waiting for the future (61 days and counting?). I just said that a dreamcasted lineup of Dream-Willis-Horry-Drexler-Cassell would have been a potent one, capable of winning 21 out of 23 at some point. A stretch like that requires alot of luck, though.

Barkley was brought in to help us get past the Sonics and win another championship. He delivered on the former but failed to deliver the latter. Clyde, what were you doing taking that 3 too early! :mad: Charles did provide a fun ride, but if the standard is championships he failed to deliver. As awesome a player and an athlete as Chuck was, image if he kept himself in shape! He might have been able to avoid some of those injuries that kept him down at critical times while he was in Houston.

There is no emoticon for what Will is feeling.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I have to agree with subtomic. Obviously, nothing is guaranteed but the Willis/Cassell lineup is just as fearsome as the Barkley lineup, if not more so. They made the trade becuase they knew the Sonics had their number. If they knew the Sonics would soon self-destruct, I don't think they would have given up so much. That trade sacrificed our future so that we could beat the Sonics. And, by the following year, it wasn't even necessary anymore.

5. heypartner

Let's see. HOOP-T first laughs claiming heypocrasy for someone else reneging now is tossing Ho Ho's in excreting excitement. HOOP-T claiming heypocrasy....that's kinda the perfect ironic ending. Dude, do you even realize Clutch had us take the post count back, claiming cc.net history and all that. I didn't think you were actually clueless to that, but now I think you are, giving the fact you won't shut up.

gracefully means, shut up already.

btw: Will, do you really want a smilie to go with my above comment.

oh, crap....what the hell.

:)

Now was that graceful HOOP-T, or do you require more smilies. And SamCassell, you mean that there is no smilie for what Will is feeling.

#25 heypartner, Aug 29, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2001
  6. heypartner

This holds no water.

Maybe if Larry Bird and Dennis Rodman had kept themselves in shape they would not have had back injuries. :rolleyes: Maybe if Dream had kept himself in shape he wouldn't have had the knee and groin problems. :rolleyes:

Barkley got injured by the Praying Mantis boning him in the hip pointer in 1996-97, otherwise we might secure home court advantage.

Barkley got injured by Bob Hurley? in 1996-97 stepping directly on his ankle. Barkley had aches and pains like Larry and Rodman for carrying huge bodies on their back and diving for lose balls all their life. Barkley cannot do that for that long without being in great shape. imo, it is a miracle he played the way he did for so long.

Hakeem got injured at halftime by a cold glass of water....10 games into playing with Barkley.

7. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well that was my intent but some people seem to be taking it a little too seriously. ;) Obviously it's hard to predict how well a hypothetical lineup would do. There's no guarantee that Cassell would have improved at all in a "dump it into the post"-type offense. Then again, Horry might not have degraded into a passable bench PF and remained one of the best defensive SF in the game who consistently hit clutch 3s. What I think we could agree on is that this group would have been stronger defensively and would have had better chemistry than the actual Barkley one, by the plain fact that they had played together longer. Would they have been as successful? Who can really guess :confused:?

The real point of this thread was to divert some attention from the Rockets woes with Moochie/Fegan and the absolutely insane trade proposals that have been dominating this board. I hope at least some of us are having a good time (crispee?).

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

What you guys are missing, is the fact that Kevin Willis more then likely WOULD NOT have come to Houston without Charles. Also, Dream had a problem with Cassell's shoot first mentality and the fact that Cassell was asking for big bucks would have made it tough for Houston to keep him and Robert Horry. Willis wasn't the key to Houston beating Seattle, because the ingredients Barkley brought to the team that got them past Seattle was a dominance in the paint, dominant rebounder, and probably the best low post passer in the game. He was also a coach on the floor, knowing where people should be, and basically being Rudy's eyes on the court. Besides, if Houston had gotten Derek Harper, and he hadn't panicked and jumped to Dallas, it probably would have been a moot point. But it was a lot more complex then just getting Kevin Willis, because he wasn't the missing ingredient to Houston getting past Seattle. In fact, during that year, Willis had a subpar season. In fact he had a couple of subpar years before getting back to his old self during the '97-'98 season.

9. heypartner

Oh yeah, I have just as much fun throwing Ho Ho's at "What if" threads as I do being a cliquish BBS Nazis in the other lame threads. don't worry though, just because you call someone cranky and mother insulted for upsetting you doesn't mean you are paranoid.

10. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Cartman, what the hell are you talking about?

You're right, it is the perfect ironic ending......but it has little to do with me. That Clutch made you take your post count back is irrelevant......that you claim you didn't want it or that you are now not "gracefully" allowed to lose is VERY funny.

:D :) ;) :p :cool:

......I'll see you your smilies and raise you one. Now, my good man, I gracefully bow out (or shut up, whatever you prefer).

Sorry to derail the thread. Carry on.....

11. heypartner

HOOP-T

What gets me is your fascination with lofting smilies at me in a barrage of silliness versus an effort at alliterating histrionics, and I get nothing back but Ho Ho's and intellectual Cartman contraptions and crankiness thrown in by the atomic subtopic protecting his topic and the big sanctified lips of Sam lapping "what if" luctations of nostalgia, because he got traded for Barkley's big butt 5 years ago.

What kind of clique is this?!

btw: HOOP-T, are smilies really your way of dealing with losing the bet. The sum of all your smilies are still lame!

oh, let me loft a smilie at you :rolleyes: so I can win the last jab!

12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

My lips have never been called sanctified before. I don't know whether to take that as a compliment or run screaming because heyp has been paying waaay too much interest in my appearance. ;)

BTW, I can't believe you didn't get my Simpsons quote (in reference to Will).

13. subtomic

Supporting Member

Such a grumpy attitude today crispee. What's the matter, did someone replace your coffee with Folgers???

If you are irritated by all of our pitiful attempts to alleviate the boredom of the off-season, then feel free to steer the conversation in another direction. Maybe even post a thread of your own. :eek:

By the way, is your real name Statler or Waldorf?

14. heypartner

You can relax Sam. I was referring to the real Sam Cassell's lips. Although, I will take this opportunity to say that I'm jealous of Sam's eyelashes. Use them well, Sammie!

Count on all Simpsons quote going over me head...or as rimbaud says, "beneath me." I took it as humorous. I also can't believe some didn't see that I purposely didn't give a smilie to Will, because I can't actually recall him ever giving one before. Does anyone remember him giving one? And grummett, too. And I feel so compelled to offer up the smilies because the subtopic's get so fussy. that brings me back to subtopic,

Hey Subtopic,

reread your thread. You got grumpy on me, because you didn't get the response you wanted, like I am grumpy because I treated your historical "what if" with the same respect you show a moochie/fegan thread, which you admonish with grumpiness here in your own thread. What? I give 3 rhetorical questions in my response, and you cry grumpy attitude and throw some smilies at me to offset you looking like a subtopic cranky crank who twists responses into the innards of a Ho Ho of subtomic, artificial preservation. You and your gripe with my response is an atomic subtopic smattering smilies through my Cisco.

15. subtomic

Supporting Member

RocksMillenium,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we sign Kevin Willis before Barkley. I also seem to remember that Barkley agreed to be traded to Houston because he felt that the signing of Willis showed that the Rockets were committed to improving. But it's been 5 years and I could be remembering wrong. I do agree that Barkley's passing out of the low post was one of the main reasons we beat Seattle in 96-97. Still, it was Kemp who destroyed us in 95-96 and I think Willis would have contained him better than Chucky Brown. And I don't remember Willis having a subpar season although he did have foul problems in the playoffs. Finally, Cassell did have a shoot first mentality, but would he have denied Hakeem the ball any more than Barkley did? Again, it's all hypothetical.

Crispee,
    Me? Grumpy? Surely you jest. I was only returning your clever sarcasm. By ignoring (or overlooking) our mutual agreement that Seattle would have given us trouble, your rhetorical questions came off less as a genuine concern and more of a desire to strut your vast basketball superiority. Well congratulations - you're a regular Bill Walton. ;) And if you really think my joke about the Fegan/Moochie/center threads equates grumpiness, well so be it. Obviously that was what really bothered you. I apologize if my joke insulted you.