1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking ahead to free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoRockets, Apr 6, 2004.

1. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/NBA_SC-RUMOR

Kobe Bryant said that he wouldn't rule out signing with Denver as a free agent this offseason. Denver is expected to be one of the teams making a push for Bryant, who has made it known that he will not re-sign with the Lakers.

Coach Jeff Bzdelik's job may be in trouble, according to the Rocky Mountain News. Bzdelik's Nuggets have lost nine of 11 games as of Thursday. The Nuggets were playing well earlier in the season, but have fallen off that pace. Center Marcus Camby, who will explore his options as a free agent this offseason, said Bzdelik's return will not play a part in his decision to return to the Nuggets. However, Camby said he would like to see the coach return for a third season.

Of course pursuing KB would be a no brainer, but how do you guys feel about Camby to fill the 4th spot on the Rockets?

2. Sane

Sane Member

I don't think he's a better rebounder or shotblocker than Cato. Cato plays harder, has great size, knows the team, knows the system, and doesn't get injured as often.

The ONLY thing Camby has on Cato is that his shot is very slightly better. Not worth pursuing IMO.

However, if they'd take MoT off our hands in case, that's not bad.

3. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

4. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

I'm also looking at the chemistry since Camby was once very loyal to JVG. I do agree he's a bit injury prone, but all of the Rox current forwards have had their share of injuries over the years. If nothing else, he would be a great filler at the 4. I realize many are hoping for Webber to be a Rockets starter, but maybe Camby is just a little more attainable?

5. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Two points here:
    1) Camby would be more affordable than Mo and and has played better than Mo this season.

2) Cato could go back to being a backup C like he's suppose to be but still rotate to 4 if necessary.

Losing MoT's contract + Padgett and Weatherspoon becomes expendable = more money to pursue Free Agents like Kobe or Webber.

6. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

Yao would have to take back a seat to Kobe the whole time Kobe is here.

7. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

A back seat*

8. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

KB is a true franchise player and the argument here would be whether Yao has the attitude to defer when necessary. I believe yes, whereas KB had problems with Shaq being the dominant player and person he is. Inside out game between Yao and KB is a much more beautiful prospect than with Cat or Steve.

9. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

You're just forgetting that Bare Bryant makes SF3 look like a Mother Teresa clone. Many would root for a team that wins. I want more. I want a team that wins and of which I can be proud that it represents my city.

#9 thumbs, Apr 6, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2004
  10. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Assume a 3-way that involves Rox-Lakers-X.
    We pick up Camby and trade away MoT's contract
    We pick up a serviceable PG from listed FA:
    Anthony Carter
    Robert Pack
    Chris Childs
    Erick Barkley
    Mateen Cleaves
    Anthony Goldwire
    Tim Hardaway
    Tito Maddox
    Kareem Reid
    Kenny Satterfield
    Jay Williams (shot at a comeback?)

Next season's starting lineup:

PG - ?
    SG - Kobe Bryant
    SF - Jim Jackson
    PF - Marcus Camby
    C- Yao Ming

Off the bench:

Cat, Pike, Cato, Mark Jackson

Not too shabby.

11. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

I have to disagree with that Sane, Camby's blocks and rebounds per 48 are astronomical. well maybe not astronomical, but top three in the league I believe? If he can stay healthy, he's just quicker and more athletic than Cato. The reason I wouldn't get him is that he's too injury prone. I think he's a dynamic player though... thinking back to when the Knicks made it to the finals in that short season, Camby and his injury had a huge impact.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Kobe Bryant in Denver?!?!

Well, he knows Colorado well now.

A little TOO well.

If he bolts, he bolts for Phoenix or San Antonio.

As far as Camby, he will likely opt out and JVG pursued him earlier this year. He offered garbage that Denver rightly refused to accept. For a change, Camby has missed no games this year.

IF (big "IF") we trade away Cato, I can see it is because we have Camby waiting in the wings for the MLE. Is he worth that? He has been this season. But he is the original Mr. Glass.

I wish there were a tall small forward available, a Hedo Turkoglu, but he will be a restricted free agent, and available only if San Antonio should pick up Kobe (needing cap space also for Manu).

13. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

After watching tonight's game, I'd say that this statement deserves a retraction.

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Marquis Daniels
    This kid is going to be a stud. Very athletic with good handles and passing ability plus he can score. He is a three position player that can handle either guard spot or the small forward. Cuban is wishing he had signed him to more than a 1 year contract right about now.

Brent Berry

15. BigCountry132

BigCountry132 Contributing Member

I think McDyess would be a good pickup if the asking price is low. I heard some analysts say that he'll be real healthy next year and can contricute to a team.

16. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Yes, Marquis Daniels looks like a good prospect, if Dallas hasn't signed him yet. I watched at least two Dallas pre-season games where Daniels got a lot of minutes. I think he can be a good addition.

Can anyone confirm if Boston's Mark Blount is opting out of his contract to check the free agent market this year? Blount has had a terrific season with the Celtics. Would love to see him in a Rockets uniform.

How is the development of Malick Badiane coming along? I hope he's like Marcus Camby but without the injury problems. If we can't get Theo Ratliff, Mark Blount and Malick Badiane ought to be great help to Yao Ming and Kelvin Cato.

17. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

There is alot of things I would like to see happen to the Rockets this offseason.

1. Trade Francis. I don't care if the Rockets get equal value or not. I just want a player or players that will make the team better.

2. Trade Mo Taylor or Cato with Cat for another player or players that will fit the system better.

3. Sign Mehmet Okur to play back up center or PF.

4. Hidayet Turkoglu and Manu Ginobili would look nice in a Rocket uni.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Now, I guess Charlotte is locked into the #4 spot, so I'm looking for a sucky team with cap space....

ATLANTA!

Best case scenario: (dreamcasting, mind you): Atlanta gets the #1 pick. Trade Steve and Cato (native Atlantan) to that city. Gives them an All Star and a good center. Then they can go after Doc Rivers as a coach. We keep Okafur or trade him for AK47. A lot to give up? Not when you can use that cap space to go after Okur, Sheed, Camby, Brent Barry, Carlos Arroyo, et al....

Likelihood of happening? Next to nil.

I would like to get Turkoglu but he still has a year left on his contract.

19. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Hmmm.....trade Francis, Mo, Cato and or Mobley for players that will make the team/fit the system better. What a concept!

Mehmet, Ginobili....nice hallucinations.

Maybe we can go back to 1990 and bring back MJ and Barkley to bring some competitiveness and toughness to this team.

:rolleyes:

Seriously, if Francis gets traded it will be a huge task to get equal value. He's going to really have to step it up throughout the last 3 games and the entire playoffs for anyone to give us a fair deal.

Cato could be traded as his contract is becoming easier to manage, but Mo probably isn't going anywhere this offseason(maybe next).

ATTENTION!! MOBLEY....ARGUABLY OUR 2ND BEST PLAYER ISN"T GOING ANYWHERE! He's one of the best values in the NBA. He has got a great contract for what we get on the court. IMO he is better than Francis. The guy has shown that he wants to get better by taking better shots and deferring to teammates when they have better opportunities, both problem points early in his career. I'll probably get flamed for this, but he reminds me of Clyde Drexler in some ways. He is so quick off the dribble and the way he "glides" to the basket is just so reminicent of Drexler it's freaky. I would be extremely disappointed in Rockets management if Cuttino were traded.

20. Sane

Sane Member

I stick by my statement actually.

Camby wouldn't come much cheaper, as he will market himself as a C, and C's don't come cheap. Raef Lafrentz is making 10M and Brad Milelr is making the same I believe. Camby will easily net 7 or 8M, which is close or equal to Cato.

Cato was among the leaders per 48 minutes in rebounding and blocks last year, same as Camby. Camby is quicker on his feet though and more athletic, so I'd say he's a better shotblocker.

However, Cato brings energy, and mroe importantly SIZE. Camby cannot bang at all. Camby is as fould-prone and way more injury prone.

The differences to consider are Cato's size and better durability versus Camby's better shot and quickness.

Personally, I think they will have the exact same impact on the Rockets. If that's the case, I'd rather not toy with the team, and I'd REALLY rather not bring another former Knick here. I'm getting sick of them honestly.

We don't want to make a splash just to make a splash. We want to improve. A Cato/Camby PF rotation wouldn't work, not enough offense, and teams would collapse on Yao even more.

The way things are, I'd rather stick with Cato. We're too much over the cap for such a deal to make us players in the market, and regardless of that, it WON'T provide flexibility, as Camby will demand long-term money as well.

I'll pass on this one. I would love bring Mehmet Okur here to backup the 4 and 5 though. But there's nothing we can offer that Detroit can't, so it's too far fetched.

Turkoglu sounds like a player that maybe we could get if the Spurs get their hands on someone else. Turkoglu is a great passer, great size for a SF, and can knock down the 3. It surely helps that he's played with Duncan's Spurs.