1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking ahead to 2025 Free Agent possibilities

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jun 28, 2023.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Since it's becoming patently clear that the Rockets are going to do 2-year deals, I wanted to look at who may be available in 2025. Here looks to be the most prominent names (I may be missing some since I didn't look too hard at various options and stuff).

Giannis (if he opts out) - Unlikely but you never know since Milwaukee may be becoming too old
    Jamal Murray - Unlikely
    Brandon Ingram - This one is a decently likely scenario
    Jayson Tatum - Unlikely
    Donovan Mitchell - Probably gets extended before he reaches FA but who knows. It's Cleveland after all

There are some other not quite max-worthy player but there looks to be enough to dream on if the Rockets think they're a good FA destination. To me this is enough where it makes sense the Rockets roll over their capspace. Next year's FA list doesn't look like it's worth saving money for (Siakam and Jaylen Brown the former wants to stay in Toronto and the latter will be maxed out by the Celtics). So looks like we get to have another round of fun in two years hopefully

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

so you looked ahead 2 years and found 5 unlikely FA's. awesome thread

Where does this rank @Os Trigonum @ThatBoyNick

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t think we wait for FA’s. We will trade a lot of our assets next year for a star. Still maintain some flexibility for 2025. The whole name of the game is to sign useful vets to help our youth learn for a year or two. I don’t think there needs to be a target year. We just need to meet the salary floor and still have the flexibility to sign or trade for a difference maker when they become available. A good example to me would waiting for the Nets to finally decide that they are on the mediocre treadmill and will make Bridges available at the deadline, even if it means taking on Simmons.

Madmanmetz and kspires999 like this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Only way to get a star nowadays is make your team an exciting team to play for and lure them to demand to be traded to you.

Their teams will always offer them the Max and they will accept the money.

There is a CHANCE sure that Giannis hits UFA but its such a losing strategy to just go "Welp, lets just save space until MAYBE we have a chance at Giannis!"

YOLO likes this.
  6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I think the plan is not to reload for the 2025 free agency class. It's to have enough money to hold onto Green, Sengun, Jabari, and Tari when they become extension eligible. The presumption is that we organically get a lot better, really soon.

Madmanmetz and kspires999 like this.
  7. meh

meh Contributing Member

If we trade for a star we automatically stop having flexibility of any kind. In which case no amount of short term deals this year will matter because stars take up so much capspace.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

I maen, we sign a bunch of 2-year deals clearly the Rockets are looking forward to 2 years later, regardless of your personal opinion on things.

If they don't care about 2025 then our deals would be longer and AAV would be smaller.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

they care about 2025 bc the rockets have a number of rookie deals that they will need to worry about. which doesn't relate to the 5 unlikely FA you referenced