1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking ahead to 2010, if Yao decides to opt out, it would be time to feast

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by djohn2oo8, Jul 7, 2009.

1. fzr11017

fzr11017 Member

2. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

It wouldn't really be the same as the Joe Smith deal. Yao is coming off of a serious injury so giving him a 2 yr deal worth $21 with a player option isn't real that much lower than his market value when you consider that he might not be an effective player when he comes back. However, straight telling Yao to take less money with a promise that he will get more later would be considered illegal because thats what happened with Smith.

Also players do like to play in Houston and there are at least 10 solid free agents on that list even though I don't think Chris Paul is a free agent anytime soon. Apparently a lot of people out there think we could get Bosh next yr and if he comes it won't be that hard to talk a player like Joe Johnson into coming with him especially if we end up with a good draft pick this yr. So if Yao for some crazy reason decides to opt out I'd bet on us getting at least one of the best players available and possibly two.

3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Here's the link on Joe Smith: http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q23

I'm no legal scholar, which you would need to be to truly understand the NBA CBA and what is legal and what is illegal. But the I think the complications arrive from the Rockets asking Yao to opt out and then giving him something in return (i.e. a longer contract).

Possibly by the letter of the law it wouldn't be a violation unless the agreement was in writing. But I would imagine that it would still be a shady deal from the league's point of view.

Then again Boozer was said to have a "wink, wink" agreement with the Cavs, which he ended up reneging on, without the league coming down on anybody. Maybe that's evidence that you can come to an agreement but you just can't be stupid enough to put it down in writing.

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

You're right! We've got no chance of getting those guys - forget the Millers, TJ Ford and Josh McRoberts, let's try and land the REALLY big fish: Michael Finley and Ricky Davis are both off contract too!!

If you still can't get it - I'm pointing out that his list is terrible. Why put Mike Miller or Brad Miller on there as possible targets? And Rip Hamilton has 5 years left.

5. HTR99

HTR99 Member

You could make the same case for Ariza, albeit he may never be in the same category as the players listed but I have faith that DM can convince anyone to come play here with or without Yao.

6. Knight

Knight Member

LOL, is it legal for Yao to opt out and retire (assuming he can't play anymore) and then we recruit him as a scout in China for a year and pay him $17M? Or be a scout/good will ambassador for 5 years at $4M per?

7. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

That is absolutely, 100% illegal to pay someone to be a "scout" instead of their basketball salary.

Besides, if Yao has a career ending injury and has to retire, the Rockets can just apply for salary cap relief and have his contract come off the books.