1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

look on the bright side, at least the Rocks didn't overpay Webber

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JR, May 7, 2002.

Tags:
  1. JR

JR Contributing Member

for all my (well-founded, of course) criticism of the Rocket front office / coaching staff, watching the playoffs has reinforced my belief that they made the right move (or were just unable to make the wrong move) when they did not sign Webber. He has to be the most overrated "superstar" in basketball. Great in transition, I will admit, but horrendous in the half-court game. He has ZERO low-post moves and when it gets down to it can only get off an 18-foot jumper, which he back-rims with amazing consistency.

As crappy as things seem now, it could be worse.

2. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

The most overrated player is Iverson, not CWebb.

3. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

A)...Webber is not overpaid by any stretch of the imagination...he makes market value for a top power forward

B) I'd rather have an "overpaid " (as you put it) Webber than a grossly overpaid and underachieving Mo T

4. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Not even gonna give MoT a chance, huh? A one-time season ending injury is not reason to put somebody on the "grossly" underachieving list. That's rather harsh of you, IMO.

5. man532

man532 Member

I agree with your assessment, I'm a Michigander at heart and loved the FAB 5. Webber was tougher as a freshman and sophomore than he is in the NBA. He build similar to Malone w/o heart. He needs a trip to see the Wizard of Oz.

He's 6'10" and is getting his layup blocked. Chris should dunk all night every night on Dallas. He looks scared.

However, MoTaylor is twin from Michigan, just a soft and doesn't like the paint. Treats it like fire.

6. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

At least C-Webb got more out of his talent that Derrick Coleman. I do think C-Webb looks slipping from his form 2 years ago. Still, who would rather have at similar cost Mo T and Rice or C-Webb? This is no knock on Mo T--but they are totally different caliber of players.

7. Bonomaniac

Bonomaniac Member

yah but what did Mo ever do BEFORE the injury?

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

You guys are out of your minds if you think it was smart to not go after Webber. We would be a playoff team right now with C-Webb. With Webbers rebounding and open court style, we would have been better at the fast break for sure. Also, we know how uncomfortabe Rudy T is without a dominant post player. Webber would probably fit into Rudy's prefered type of offense. Think about it, if we had C-Webb we'd have 2 allstars with him and Steve, and one very good player with Cat. If we had signed Webber, then we wouldn't have had the money to make the stupid Rice trade. So we lose Shandon Anderson and get nothing, oh well, we could have kept Richard Jefferson. Collins would be a good backup C/PF for us as well. I like Griffin, but he will never be as good as Webber. He's gonna be a better defender and rebounder though, but not the total package that you get with C-Webb.

9. Sane

Sane Member

Hakeem would still be here too. Plus, Webber is not a dominant post player. He can be pushed around.

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I really wanted Webber, but now I'm glad we didn't get him.

If he came here, he would be "the" franchise player, he'd be b****ing all the time, making his stupid faces all the time, and dissappearing in the playoffs, if we could even get there with him. Definitely couldn't have this year, with all the injuries. The guy is not a post up player, and he cannot conisistantly hit his jumper, not when it counts anyway.

I'd rather be stuck in suckitude for a while and hope a lotto pick or two can get us real players(ala Griff) than be stuck in mediocrity with Webber.

11. JR

JR Contributing Member

thanks Sane, my point exactly. Webber has no low-post moves. If you think otherwise, you haven't watched him play. The guy can't even score in the post against Dallas.

And Oski, try having a point instead of just vomiting all over the board. This team will never be successful on the break until Steve and/or Cuttino actually push the ball up the court. They are the problem. And "keep" Richard Jefferson, or the Collins twin? The Rockets never drafted either one of them. The Nets drafted them through the Rockets after the Rockets moved up to 8 and took Griffin. I think the Nets may have let Rudy and CD make the Brandon Armstrong pick for them, however.

CriscoKidd - EXACTLY right

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We don't know how good Griffin is going to be. No one does, not the staff, the other players, the "experts" in the press, this BBS , or Griff himself. Let's give the kid a chance before we start comparing him to Webber or anyone else. All we are going by is one insanely disrupted season that probably had this kid spinning like a top. Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. (thank's Dennis)

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

How is pointing out the multiple pluses of signing Webber not making a valid point? Is it because my opinion is different than yours that it is vomit and not valid? Why are you telling me this anyway? I'm talking about basketball here JR, junior, JeRkoff, or whatever your name is, and your making b**** ass comments about me. :mad:

Ok, now that I got that out of my system, let's talk more about how much better we would be with Webber. So you don't like Webber because he has no post game, well, then why are people getting all wet over Mo-Taylor when the paint is kryptonite to him. 5 rpg vs 10 rpg, clearly C-Webb has the advantage. 13 ppg vs 24.5 ppg, whoop-tee-damn-do, Webber has the advantage over Taylor again. What about assist? 1.5 vs 4.5, oh may god, is it possible that this non superstar has another advantage over Taylor? Webber is definately a superstar and I still can't believe there are people who wouldn't want him on this team. I don't watch all of his games so I can't say that I know for sure how he plays in the post, but you don't have a .495 fg% by jacking up 18 foot shots all day long. How else does Webber improve this team, well having a new superstar can only have a positive affect on ticket sales. If that's not enough for you, how about the fact that Webber is a true leader in the locker room, not to mention he was friends with Cat and Steve so that is a plus for chemistry. Also, at 29 years old he solves our lack of veterans problem. If I was GM, I would have let Anderson walk and just signed Jim Jackson for the veteran's minimum. Jackson had .469 3pt%, he's the 3 point shooting SF we wanted. The only negative is that we probably wouldn't have the money to give Steve a max extension, but I don't have time to crunch numbers and can't give any details. As for "keeping" Jefferson, who do you think we would have drafted if we passed on Griffin? Jefferson was bound to be a Rocket until after the Warriors took Richardson and it was pretty obvious the Grizz were going to take Battier leaving Griffin available for NJ. So imagine how are team could have been(if I was GM):

Cato/Griffin/Collier or Cato/Collins/Collier

Webber/KT/Griffin or Webber/KT/Collins

JJ/Griffin/T-mo/Langhi or JJ/Jefferson/T-Mo/Langhi

Cat/Torres

Franchise/Moochie/Brown or Franchise/Moochie/Tinsley(I'd have picked him)

That's a serious playoff team and not the 8th or 7th seed that we could have been with a healthy team.

By the way :confused: Baaaarrrfffffff:eek:

14. DJ

DJ Member

Dunk on Shawn Bradley.

15. Sane

Sane Member

Oski,

VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY (you get the point) VERY people get all "wet over Mo Taylor".

Webber plays 12 or so more minutes than Webber. In similar minutes, I don't think the difference is as great. Also, Mo shot, I believe, a higher percentage from the field when he was playing. If all he does is shoot perimeter jumpers, than he's nailing almost 1 out of 2. That's pretty darn good. Plus, Mo T is younger. Not that he'll ever be Webber, but look at roles, price range, efficiency, prudoctivity, effort, and dissapearing at crucial times.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

This side of Walker,whoever for the sonics, Mo Taylor is the worse 4 in the west healthy or not.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah...i'd hate to have the best player on a team still in the playoffs which finished with the best record! :rolleyes:

come on!!!!

18. Band Geek Mobster

I agree with Crisco.

Webber wusses out in crunch time, he's been doing it ever since his college years. Jalen Rose was the man to count on when the game mattered the most back in Michigan. Now Webber just bails on his teams whenever he can, the only reason he couldn't bail on the Kings was because of money issues, and if he were a Rocket, he'd probably be b****ing about something and demanding a trade to somewhere else...

19. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

It WAS smart not to go after Webber. I live in Sacramento, and I see almost every game. Webber sucks. He's one of the most TALENTED players in the league, but he hasn't harnessed it at all. With how good he is at passing, you would think he could be the next Magic Johnson. But it won't happen. Just like Jason Williams has the talent to be Allen Iverson, but it's not going to happen.

Webber is NOT a good rebounder. He is athletic and strong on a team that has ONE legit rebounder (Pollard, who comes off the bench), so he just ends up with a good number of rebounds. Webber doesn't even know what "box out" means. Put Webber next to someone like PJ Brown and he would get about 6 or 7 per game.

I know that. What does that have to do with Webber? Webber thinks "post" is the little sticker in the upper right corner of the envelope he gets his $223,000 game checks in (that's the actual amount, too).

JR was correct in saying Webber has ZERO low-post moves. I laugh every time I read about Webber's "automatic" jumphook. Yeah, right. Automatic brick, that is. Webber's jump hook is the ugliest thing since Medusa. The last thing we need is another guy who shoots 18-footers all day.

Let's review: Webber sucks in the post, is an average rebounder, and loves the 18-footer. Plus he whines a lot. The one thing I will give Webber is that he is one of the best passers in the league. At ANY position. But how much difference can your power forward's passing make, anyway?

#19 Drexlerfan22, May 9, 2002
    Last edited: May 9, 2002
  20. Major

Major Member

yeah...i'd hate to have the best player on a team still in the playoffs which finished with the best record!

come on!!!!

Why would a team with the weakest front court ever want maybe the best current all-around power forward in the game!??!

come on!!!!