1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Look At This Pic of Wilt Chamberlain

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hotballa, May 12, 2012.

Tags:
  1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

He's the guy on the right for anyone who's too embarrassed to admit they don't know who he is. Those arms are so ridiculously long it looks photoshopped.

[​IMG]

2. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

Kevin Durant has a 7ft wingspan

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What is with the accusatory tone? Who does not know who Chamberlain is? Who is embarrassed?

#3 Carl Herrera, May 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. codell

codell Contributing Member

Not unusual as wingspan usually closely equates to a person's height.

5. VBG

VBG Member

Looks like a coordinated JaVale McGee

6. lean

lean Member

I sleep under this photo every night (minus the signatures, unfortunately)

[​IMG]

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm still looking at the pic of Wilt Chamberlain.

Does something happen after some time of looking at it?

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

That's one weird thing about Wilt, in most of his pictures he looks so lean and slender, yet he weighed like 265-285. Which puts him in about Dwight Howard's to Andrew Bynum's range. I see most sites are listing him with 9'6 standing reach and a 7'2 wingspan. Again, I've watched some of those older all-star games and NBA Finals on NBA TV. When Wilt played in LA, during latter part of his career, he clearly was past his prime. Though, I'd have to say at times, he looked like most nimble and athletic player on the court. Literally, he was casually jogging up the court, and still passing wings. Very coordinated. Excellent defensively and a great passer.

Players aren't made like that anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. conquistador#11

it looks like he is playing basketball?

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

7'2" wingspan
    9'6" standing reach

crazy long for his era

but to give it some perspective

Shaq
    7'7" wingspan (much wider frame)
    9'5" standing reach

Deandre
    7'6" wingspan (wider frame)
    9'5.5" standing reach

Javale
    7'6" wingspan (wider frame)
    9'6.5" standing reach

Every one of those guy has at least 40 lbs or more on Wilt. In SHaq's case, probably close to 100.

Probably the guy closest to Wilt in frame and length is Brook Lopez.

Wilt was the king of his day because he was so much longer than anybody else playing. But he was a finesse guy all the way. Big Dipper. He laid it in with the fingeroll, using his incredible length to extend past all the defenders who simply were not match physically with him.

Wilt, as great as he was, would have a tough time in today's game. He'd have to gain weight and be able to bang. Don't know what that would have done to his skillset.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Don't forget that if Wilt were 20 today, he would have the benefit of the same training today's players have. My money would be on Wilt destroying all today's NBA 5s.

12. Jet036

Jet036 Member

Rajon Rondo is 6'1 with a 6'10 wingspan

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup. Give Joe dimaggio steroids and he'll bat 500

14. jopatmc

Yeah, it's difficult to imagine what he would have been with today's training. Not to mention today's science. If Wilt's parents were given the same science as Shaq's parents (I am convinced that Shaq is a military science experiment.), then perhaps he would have been close to 7'8" and 300 lbs of lean mean fighting machine.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you put this kid from the 84 draft named Akeem he destroy every center in today's game with e tremendous ease.

16. jopatmc

Hakeem was very physical.

17. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Lol at his arms...

18. conquistador#11

Are we watching the same nba? it has become the diva association. the only banging going on is which blonde shorty is dwight howard going to impregnate. Even in that department, Chamberlain had more expertise.

although, wilt would have to take a crash course in theatrics to play in this era of physical bang brand of basketball. :rolleyes:

2 people like this.
  19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Where are your numbers coming from, because most modern day centers weigh less than Wilt by a good 15-20 pounds.

Wilt Chamberlain: 7,1 275 lbs. (basketball-reference)
    7,1 275 lbs. (nba.com)
    7,1 250 lbs. (wikipedia, listed as a rookie with Philadelphia)
    7,1 275 lbs. (wikipedia, during his playing days)
    7,1 300 lbs. (wikipedia and nba.com, during his Laker days, because he is noticeably bigger with the Lakers than in his early Philly days)
    7,1 270 (self-proclaimed)
    7,1 near 300 (Bill Russell)

Javale McGee: 252
    Marc Gasol: 265
    Joahkim Noah: 232
    Nikola Pekvoic: 290
    Andrew Bynum: 285
    Pau Gasol: 250
    Tyson Chandler: 240
    Brook Lopez: 265

If you've watched any film on Wilt (from the earlier games to the All-Star games, or his Laker games), I don't see too many centers who are that nimble and athletic. I even look at someone, like Bynum, who is very athletic in his own right, he cannot move down the floor, like that and is nowhere as tenacious on the boards. The only active center that I've seen with comparable leaping ability to Wilt is Dwight Howard and Javale McGee. The only centers I could see really overpowering him are maybe Howard or Bynum, even then I've seen those two get overpowered at times by other lesser centers.

Another thing, most centers lack that Wilt had was optimal conditioning. 45.9 MPG for an entire, he had several seasons over that mark. No modern center could play that many minutes in today's game or in the 60s.

Most overlooked aspect of his game - passing. Statistically, he's the best passing center ever by a sizable margin. He's has as many 5.0 or more assist per game seasons than Bill Walton, Vlade Divac, and Bill Russell combined. He topped out at 7.8 and 8.6 assist per game over two 82 game NBA seasons, only missed one game. I do not care what his intent was, because no other center could ever average that many assist, if they tried and wer

Never fouled out of an NBA game. Remember, that's an outstanding accomplishment for centers.

In Wilt's day, he actually had more competition than any center does currently in the NBA. Here are some of Chamberlain's contemporaries:

Bill Russell
    Willis Reed
    Walt Bellamy
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Bob Lanier
    Dave Cowens
    Nate Thurmond
    Neil Johnson
    Wes Unseld
    Bob Rule

Theoretically, you could say that he's played against better players than any active NBA center.

This videos are clips from his last few seasons in the NBA with Lakers (he was a shell of himself, after the 68 injury). You cannot tell me that there would 30 NBA teams trying sign up for a player, like this (especially the Rockets):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2i8mlFGwmO4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  20. jopatmc

Wilt was not over 250 until he went to the Lakers.