1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

London terror attack

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

is it? i honestly didn't follow.. if it is, so it is.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Oh no, who would've thought this would be connected to Islam???

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Oh! I'm sorry. I didn't recognize that the point of the thread was to condemn an ideology. My apologies.

5. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

We've long been numb to murder. Maybe we're becoming numb to terrorism. We'd probably make better choices if we were.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Here is a gofundme for one of the victims:

[​IMG]

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Did you know that hundreds of millions of Muslims support things like strict implementation of Sharia as the law of the land, suicide bombings of civilians, honor killings, etc. You don't need a majority of members to be active terrorists to come to the conclusion that Islam is awful.

Yung-T and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

What gets me are the large portions of the population in the Middle East that believe death is the suitable punishment for apostasy.

The United States and the West have long struggled with the definition and practice of "freedom", but in the Middle East, freedom can most certainly mean signing your own death warrant.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Seen that video before - http://www.politifact.com/punditfac...o/shapiro-says-majority-muslims-are-radicals/

Islam, like other religion is very good for many great number of people that practice their religion. If you want to conclude it is awful by some number that have a radical view of it, you can conclude that with other religion. It's an extreme generalization to all followers of religions.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I thought polls are pointless?

People like Ben Shapirio love using these numbers without a baseline metric to see what they are to let's say a average evengilcal would poll on a question like "Should homosexuality be against the law?" or "Should our nation be a nation of laws based on Christianity?" what would those percentages look like?

His entire premise here is base on some polls where he btw disingenuously forgets to mention that a lot of these polls have a qualifier such as "Those who voted 'yes' to Sharia voted so and so".

I'm not going to judge 1 billion based on some polls. I hope you are intelligent enough to do the same.

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Even using Politifact's interpretation that only support for terrorism makes one an extremist with an unacceptable ideology, you still end up with nearly 20% of Muslims supporting terrorist attacks. I don't think any poll of another religion is going to get you numbers like that. So yes, Islam is awful.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're pretty awful.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Nope, it is not. Every single one of them would be better off without Islam. Islam is awful.

Yung-T likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

I think s pollster can easily make a poll that shows twenty percent of Americans support some sort of draconian measure such as nuking the Middle East.

I know a pollster could even more easily make a poll that shows evangelicals supporting something as draconian as death for homosexuality.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Extreme generalization. Thinking you know that EVERY single person would be better without their religion is quite a display of arrogant.

18. fchowd0311

The thing is his statement isn't that far from reality For an overwhelming majority of people, their lives would be better without Islam. Rare cases such as Hakeem finding 'faith' in some benign version of Islam making them more 'disciplined'.

I still overwhelmingly disagree with the premise of ATW and StupidMoniker here. I'm not going to use ****ing polls to tell me how to judge 1 billion people. I would rather use individual merit.

BTW, a vast majority of religious folk would do better if they lost their 'faith'.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I take your opinion much more serious, since you came from a family of that faith.

My own experience tell me religion is very important to people and I doubt not having that would make them "better". This is coming from an agnostic, but that's my view having friends that are very devoted practitioner of religion (I'm talking about all major religion). Now, i do have my own judgement on what is a "fake" practitioner from "real" one... and I think that's where the problem lies, more than the religion itself. If I have to generalize, religion is awesome... but some people are pretty terrible at learning the meaning of it, and practicing it.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would the world be better off without Islam? Yes. But it would also be better off without Christianity and Judaism as well as Hinduism.