1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lol look at what the Wizards are offering for Vince Carter

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr Chuck Norris, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Mr Chuck Norris

ESPN's Chad Ford is reporting the Wizards plan to offer the Nets a package consisting of G Mike James, F/C Darius Songalia, F/C Etan Thomas & the 5th overall pick in this year's draft for Vince Carter. Please disregard this as BS, as NJ doesn't even have room for all 3 players on their roster or their salary cap.

Note: New Jersey is interested in moving their pick for in the event that all the players on their target list are off the board. They only have 1 pick this year & want to make it count.

Ford is convinced that the Nets will pick either North Carolina F/C Tyler Hansbrough or Louisville G/F Terrence Williams. In addition to those 2 names, i know they have interest in Earl Clark, & Austin Daye. They like James Johnson too, but he came a little too heavy (around 260 pounds).

Jonny Flynn isn't coming in to workout as he apparently has a promise from the Raptors.

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

James and Thomas are entering their final years and can probably be bought out. Songaila has two years remaining but is somewhat useful when he's healthy.

The offer is the #5 pick, and $12M off the books for the Nets in summer 2010. The Nets want to be able to offer two max contracts (so LeBron can have a buddy), and this is why they're willing to give VC away.

I'm not saying this deal will go down, but it's not completely laughable.

Evan

3. sbyang

sbyang Member

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

:confused: not sure how that offer warrants the lol in the title. the cap space in the form of the aforementioned players is an obvious precondition to any carter deal, and the #5 alone is far better than anything offered for him last year (unless you're a big george hill fan) and possibly than any offer currently on the table.

5. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Ya I could see this happening as well, It makes sense to me after looking at the contracts and remaining years

Chilcutt

6. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Makes no sense to the Wizards. :confused:
    I thought they were trying to trade away Jamison to avoid lux tax.
    How is bringing in Carter gonna do that?

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Maybe the Wiz will make BOTH deals. Washington would have a 1/2/3 lineup of Arenas, Carter and Butler (man, that's a lot of firepower!) and can fill out the rest of its lineup with young big men like Andre Blatche and Javale McGee. Also, if the Wiz get back Ben Wallace, maybe they decide that he's still got enough left in the tank and (rather than buying him out) convince him to stay and be the team's starting PF/C. Just a thought.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

ALWAYS POST A LINK. It looks like you took a suggestion and turned it into a report/reality. That's how rumors get spread.

This is from an ESPN Chat with Chad Ford yesterday afternoon:
    http://proxy.espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/26986/NBA-Insider-Chad-Ford

Obama (Washington DC)
    what would it take for Nets to deal Vince Carter to the Wizards

Chad Ford
    I think they'd do it for just about anything that didn't cost the Nets a lot of money. the Wizards have the expiring contracts to make it happen ... if they are going for it ... they should consider it.I think No. 5, Mike James, Etan Thomas and Darius Songaila should do it.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Someone needs to tell Obama he should be focusing on Gay Marraige, Healthcare, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, the Financial Markets, and quit worrying how to get Vince Carter to D.C.

Jeesh

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

So not much to that rumor.

Washington is a spread the floor space team with Arenas, Jamison, and Butler. If they are truly in salary cutting mode, then I am sure they would prefer to move Arenas or Jamison and it would make the most sense for them to move Arenas actually. I am wondering if a McGrady deal for Arenas and their #5 is possible. That would allow them to move a true point guard into their lineup. We could throw them Lowry for that. Send them McGrady and Lowry or Landry (their choice) for Arenas, #5, and an expiring (James, Haywood, etc.). Then use the #5 and our expirings to move up to #2, give Memphis expirings and the #5 for #2 and Marko. Do we want Arenas' contract? Can you imagine a starting unit of Rubio, Arenas, Battier, Yao, Scola with Artest, Brooks, and either Landry/Lowry coming off the bench?

There appears to be a myriad of options possible for us to move up significantly in this draft. It will come down to how much Morey really wants it, how much of our depth he wants to sacrifice to get it done, and how much salary he wants to take back.

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Number one, this isn't as laughable as you say it is from the Nets' perspective. The additional cap space, plus the expiring contracts and the draft pick is a pretty big coup for New Jersey if they are trying to lure LeBron over next year. Second, the Wiz will have one of the strongest backcourts in the league, along with a helluva forward duo in Butler and Jamison. The only thing is with Arenas, Carter, Butler, and Jamison, who would be the facilitator to make sure the offense doesn't just stop at one shot?

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Clutch showing exactly why he asks everyone to post links when mentioning a report.

I don't think the OP thought this one thru.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Interesting scenario, but we'd be taking a huge contract in Arenas. If he's healthy, he could thrive in Adelman's offense (IMO). If we also ended up with Rubio... wow!

14. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Arenas would be sweet if fully recovered. Sign me up.

15. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Not a bad deal if you ask me. Vince hasn't been VINSANITY for like what 10 years?

Nets need Lebron or Wade to stay afloat as a franchise because the move to Brooklyn is stalling after financing for the arena fell through. A big splash in 2010 is the only way the make it to Brooklyn.

Now as for the deal this gives them a nucleus of Devin Harris, #5 pick and a ton of money in 2010 to sign some good players. Nice one year rebuilding program.

Grade: B-

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Wiz-Cavs rumor...

17. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

this type of deal is much more in tune with what they need to be pursuing. despite his stellar season last year, i'm not convinced that shaq can continue contributing at a high level, or at least not enough to make a significant improvement over ilgauskas. here's to hoping danny ferry actually gets something right for once. after seeing hakeem's career unfold, in contrast with someone like tim duncan, i'm very empathetic towards great players wasting away their athletic primes with little to no help.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

They have the 11th pick too if they wish to use it. Brook Lopez has been a big success for them this year,making him a critical piece for the future as well IMO.

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I agree. Tawn would instantly be the second best player on that team and as an added bonus, fill a critical need.

James and four scrubs are routinely one of the last four teams standing. Imagine what the Cavs would be if they managed to team James with just 3 scrubs and a pretty good player.

Shaq on the Cavs does not compute in my basketball computer.

20. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

he was vinsanity this season. which is why there's that vc for tmac trade rumor before the trade deadline.