1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[LOL]Alaska reporter quits on live TV..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by 713, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I respect her decision, and not only that, she got some great publicity.

2. likestohypeguy

Did anyone who read all the links/backstory here find out what "it's not like I have a choice" meant?

I can't imagine if it's because her bosses found out about her connection to the story, then chose to fire her while letting her last report be that. Unless the station wanted the viral publicity too.

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I would be surprised if the station fired her ahead of time and still let her go on the air to do one final report. That would be very dumb on part of the station manager. She also used the words, "I quit."

I think what "it's not like I have a choice" meant that when she disclosed she was owner of the business she believed she would get fired anyways so she quit.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

She could have resigned normally, and then if the pot thing didn't work out return to that

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Did she quit first or was she terminated first? It seems the company is saying she was terminated but you can't be terminated if you quit first. :p

Well, semantically speaking anyway.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Yeah but resigning normally doesn't go viral.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Ironically, that was actually a very informative report she did. Much better than your average local hack reporter story.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

She may have jumped the gun.

10. AB423

AB423 Member

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

so what's a "raid" like that cost a police department? no arrests, no charges, i mean seriously what a waste of tax payer money...

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They keep the impounded vehicles?

13. Roscoe Arbuckle

As someone who lived in Alaska, I find this whole thing quite odd.

First off, since at least the 70's you have always been allowed to grow mar1juana on your own property. Sales were forbidden, but hell! You could grow it and smoke it legally!

I'm guessing this "smoker's" club (essentially a bar with pot rather than liquor) took it over the limit. And I tend to agree. There's always a level where folks go too far.

Alaska should be happy as a lark that they are able to literally grow pot on their property with no ramifications. Don't screw that up, now!

#54 Roscoe Arbuckle, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2019
  14. Major

Major Member

What exactly is the cost for the taxpayer? The gas that it took to drive there? The police, DA, judges, etc are all salaried, so it's not like you're paying them anything extra.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

It depends on location and how "famous" you are. I'm sure a competent reporter for CNN or another major news outlet makes way more than a struggling reporter who reports the 4 o'clock news in rural Wyoming.

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Are you making the argument just to be a nit picker of what ipaman said or do you not have an issue with law enforcement allocating resources to carrying out raids that result in no arrests or that cannot even confirm that criminal activity was happening? Honest question.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not an expert on this and would need to know more about this specific raid but my understanding is that raids do cost more. If it is done at night as many raids are to catch the occupants at home that would cost overtime. I also think that some LE get hazard pay for things like raids.

Anyway I think the point of this isn't so much the cost to PD but what the point of it was if no arrests were made. Was it basically a fishing expedition just to see if they could find something illegal or was it bad intel that the LE had?

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Until I looked it up .. . .I did too.

Rocket River

19. Major

Major Member

ipaman said it was a waste of taxpayer money - I'm simply asking what cost there is. "Allocating resources" is vague and meaningless - if the resources were idle anyway (policemen, whatever vehicles they used, etc) so there's no real cost.

The lack of arrests is not really relevant to my question, and at this point, it's not really relevant in the larger picture. Raids are part of investigations - you don't necessarily have to arrest someone on site if you're just gathering evidence and building a case. You'd never solve any crimes if you didn't investigate unless you were certain you would make an arrest on the spot. For all we know, they might make arrests next week or next month once they've sorted through all the evidence and found if anyone was doing anything criminal.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

That's some gestapo police state **** right there. Please tell me you don't really support those type of police tactics. :(

and yes my point isn't so much actual financial details (but it's obviously a waste) but more the ridiculousness and illegal aspects of something like this. the standard for policing/investigating continues to degrade. this screams of a witch hunt scenario to teach someone a lesson. again that's a terrible waste of resources (illegally) and down right scary.