1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Local NBA TV Broadcast Crews ranked! Where do Bullard, Worrell and Drexler rank around the league

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Harden2Capela, Jul 22, 2015.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Definitely if Bill and Calvin were still a team would hands down be the best.

At least he got to call the 20th anniversary game, like the good ole days.

2. OpenLayup-Why3?

This least means nothing. One man's opinion. I am another man and in my opinion Houston trio is one of the worst. They are as big of a homers as any other crew, probably bigger. Mostly it's Drexler, but what can you do about it.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

True, it's only his a opinion. But, I think it means something. If you read the entire list, you saw that he did take the time to listen to all the broadcast teams and made some good observations. I've heard some of the other teams broadcasts, but I haven't heard all of them. I thought he did his research well, and made some good points.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Being a homer as a broadcaster isn't necessarily a negative. Being a homer broadcaster while pretending to be objective is a negative.

The two ways broadcasters can go is either homer or or totally objective. Even homer broadcasters should have some objectivity when talking about the strengths of opponents.

5. newAge_Rockets

Bill Worrell is a living legend! Its a pleasure listening to him every game with his great knowledge of the game, the excitement that he brings out of the fans, and his great one liners.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I like Bill.

NY has the best duo.

Utah and LAl are the worse.

7. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Bill carries Clyde throughout the game. Bullard is much better than Clyde, Clyde has some Floyd Mayweather in him.

8. mcgrizaondersen

mcgrizaondersen New Member

HAHA commentary would be more entertaining than the game

9. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

It's clear from the descriptions of many of the teams that this list was entirely culled from watching 2-3 games of each team. I think it thus vastly underestimates how hard Clyde's schtick is to deal with over the long term.

I'm not in the "Rockets broadcasters are the worst" crew because Bill Worrell makes me feel better about life in general with his old-man cheer and the fact I have listened to his voice for 20 years. But #1 would be crazy even without Drexler on the team. I'd put Rockets crew about middle of the pack.

I would support Timberwolves' crew for #1, I feel like I learned something about the league most times I watch them. Portland at 5 is crazy, they're top 3 homeriffic crews along with Boston and Denver.

#69 CDrex, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  10. OpenLayup-Why3?

He got lucky to listen to like 2 Houston broadcasts that weren't totally homerish (vs Spurs etc), but that's small sample size he is basing his results. Ask any non Rockets fan who ever watched their team play and listened to Houston broadcast - it would be top 5 worst for them. I read how bad our commentators are almost in every game thread on neutral boards. If I was a fan of some other team, I would hate listening to these guys.

11. OpenLayup-Why3?

I didn't read entire article, I don't know what is his criteria for ranking, if it's how it is for home fans it would totally differ if the criteria was how it is for opposing fans or neutral fans. Utah only 12th is bollocks, they are probably the least biased crew out there, always listen to them when Rockets play. Clipper at 8... They are bottom 3 for me.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Half of Clyde Drexler's vocabulary during broadcasts:

"I agree."

You can add a comma and the third and fourth words in separate sentences, like so:

"I agree, Bill."

"I agree, Bull."

13. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Worrell is great.

Bullard is good.

Drexler is awful.

JVG is the best and Mark Jackson drags him down.

I'm in Sacramento so I see a lot of the other teams' broadcasters on League Pass. The Celtics crew always stands out as the absolute worst homers.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

this is probably true, but no crew is as annoying as san antonio's. those guys are worse than hearing chandler bing's janice sing while scratching her fake nails down a chalkboard

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Every team has announcers that are actively rooting for their team. That's across the board. If you look past that, then I can understand from a neutral perspective ranking the Rockets team #1. Clyde is terrible but he more or less acknowledges that. Worrell is the best in the business and Bullard is a very good analyst. If I didn't know how good Calvin is next to Bill I'd think even more highly of Bullard.

16. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

I'd love to see Clyde on the TNT telecast.

I wonder what would happen.

1 person likes this.
  17. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Worrell is the best basketball play-by-play guy working on television. (Gene Peterson was, in my opinion, the best to ever call a basketball game, radio or tv. People can argue for Chick Hearn, but I'll never agree.)

18. Dentyne

Dentyne Member

:grin: My favorite Drexler saying

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Isn't that all articles and sports broadcasts are? just peoples opinions.

20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Hilarity, lol