1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Local NBA TV Broadcast Crews ranked! Where do Bullard, Worrell and Drexler rank around the league

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Harden2Capela, Jul 22, 2015.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

wish it was bill, calvin, and van chancellor

2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Worrell is outstanding. He is very clever yet subtle. Bullard and Drexler are tough sometimes but Worrell actually calls them on their own BS, which is really funny. I love Worrell and Murphy as they were like ying and yang together which made it really funny. But I understand why many people don't like Calvin ...not everybody can be cool.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

Worrell: excellent.
    Bullard: good except for the corny jokes.
    Dresser: no comment.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

They got this thr wrong way

Clyde is obnoxious and half the time he can't recognize players from the opposition team. His stats are outdated

5. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

Yup. Ive heard a lot of other teams broadcasts and they are horrible. I understand people dont like Clyde at times but its entertaining :grin:

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Clyde, like Harden, always steps up his game when he's on national TV (NBA TV). If you've just heard him there, you might never have heard any Drexlerisms.

7. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I love our broadcast team too, very folksy and funny.

I agree about the Spurs announcers. I feel like throwing something at my computer screen when they're on. Where did the Celtics announcers rank? Same as the Spurs', I would think

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Does this mean that there really is a draft in the building?

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I love Bill and Bull. Someone please replace Clyde with Calvin so we can have the big 3!

10. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

The list is garbage if it rates rockets that high. Drexler is the worst. He just repeats what the bill or matt said previously and adds nothing to the broadcast.

11. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

The list is trash, the spurs broadcast team should be dead last, guy is clearly a Lebron/Cavs hater.

12. malakas

malakas Member

The Rockets broadcasters are certainly not the best. I would say one of the worst becaue of homerism. Just my opinion.

13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Not really sure why a lot of you criticize Worrell for being a homer. Personally, I expect my LOCAL broadcast team to be fans of my team. This isn't the NBA on TNT...

And when I didn't live in Houston and had League Pass and had to watch tons of Rockets games with the other team's crew, I can tell you that Bill and Bull (even dopey Clyde) are in the very top tier. There are some horrible broadcasting crews out there.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Whoever made this list obviously doesn't listen to Bill/Clyde/Bull on a regular basis. For one night, Clyde is probably tolerable, maybe even good. But over the long haul listening to him is hard.

There is so much about the rankings that is wrong I wouldn't know where to begin.

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

This.

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I honestly couldn't stand the broadcasters during the playoffs and sorely missed ours. Our guys are entertaining and make the game fun. I would say they are the most entertaining and the Miami heat broadcasters are the most unbiased.

17. tdo

tdo Member

You all have to realize that he is doing these lists from a sample of probably 2-10 games per team. So the little things that annoy us about Clyde, because we have to hear them sooo often, bother us much more than it would just the casual observer. I really like our crew, so I'm cool with them getting first on this list. Minnesota is really good, and I really enjoy Orlando every time as well.

I would probably put our road crew of just Worrell and Bullard no. 1. Clyde really is just not needed on the broadcast at all. I think Bullard is one of the better color guys in the game, and Worrell is a pro at walking the line of cheese and professionalism.

My biggest complaint would probably be all the terrible nicknames they give to everyone. It seems like it is always just the first initial of the first name combined with the last name. That really grinds my gears.

18. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Houston aside I take issue with a list that has Utah as 12 and Portland as 5. 5!

19. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

"Cold blooded three!"

"Oh Terrance Jones talk to me!"

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I miss Bill Worrell and Calvin Murphy. The dynamic duo. Vanilla and chocolate.

Calvin is extremely knowledgeable of the game and I enjoy his commentary. But now he's relegated to halftime and pre-game and post-game.

I remember a national game when Calvin was talking to someone on the sideline, back when he was still alongside Bill. The national TV focused on him and the national commentators were having an "oh my goodness!" moment over Calvin's pimped-out clothes. Without using the word "pimp".

I was like, Yep, that's Calvin.

Seriously? No, gotta disagree here. I doubt they're the best but they're not the worst. San Antonio's pretty damn bad. Sean Elliott is a clown.

Is Tommy Heinsohn still broadcasting for the Celtics? He's getting up there in age so it might be getting difficult.

According to Wikipedia, "During broadcasts [Heinsohn] is known for his sense of humor and indignantly questioning game officials when calls against the Celtics appear to be made in error."

Translation: Major-ass homer! :)

#60 ROXTXIA, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015