1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Local NBA announcers rated from best to worst by fan voting.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Phreak3, Jan 28, 2016.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

The crew is anti-3pt shot? Now that is a flat out lie. Bullard and Worrell always defense those shots. Can't disagree with the rest. When will Leslie learn? The more people speaking up about Clyde, the better the chance for a change!!

2. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Drexler is awful, will always complain about calls against Houston even if replays clearly show it was correct. Plus his 3 keys to the game are always some variation of "run a lot" or "play hard".

Bill can be a bit silly with the refs calls too but his announcing style I think is really great, for a Rockets fan anyway. I have no idea where the anti 3 thing comes from cause hearing Worrell call a JSmoove 3 probably gets all us fans pumped. He loves the 3 pointers.

Bullard probably drops the most actual knowledge, he will say something insightful that isn't just obvious. It could honestly just be Bill leading with Matt as the colour guy, Clyde is pretty pointless other than some occasional soft humour.

3. Caesar

Caesar Member

That said, i am all for replacing Clyde with Calvin. But, i don't want the organization to leave Drexler hanging, so basically just switch their jobs and let Clyde do half time.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

It's not so much Clyde's whining although that's miserable. A lot of it is his constant botching of players names, their stats etc. He just puts out a lot of wrong information. Least he can do is his homework and keep up to date with the current NBA

5. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

You are right on the money! Here are the results, in case you're interested:

Knicks
    Nets
    Kings
    Bucks
    Timberwolves
    Raptors
    Hawks
    Blazers
    Wizards
    Mavericks
    Pelicans
    Pistons
    Hornets
    Warriors
    Bulls
    Magic
    Lakers
    Spurs
    76ers
    Celtics
    Pacers
    Jazz
    Grizzlies
    Heat
    Suns
    Cavaliers
    Nuggets
    Clippers
    Thunder
    Rockets

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Man it must be a treat to listen to Frazier and Breen every home game.

My hope is that one day JVG will still want to commentate but will get tired of the travel and be a home guy for the Rockets. That would be nice.

Worrell-Bull I really don't have too much of a problem with. Well Bull and Clyde are just really corny.

With other super homers like Heinsohn at least his screaming is amusing.

7. malakas

malakas Member

Thanx. Repped. Don't know why that link doesnt' work for me.

I personally dont' like the Knicks that much because that Knicks commentator voice is kinda..cringe worthy lol. But other than that they are pretty good. Esp when they used to make fun of their own team.
    And the Raptors often talk about totally unrelated things in the middle of the game, like who is going to win the Oscars.
    The Hawks too should definitely be bottom 10 and so should that Celtics dude.

They say listening to that Tom dude that it's like an acquired taste..well eating rotten cheese is also an acquired taste. Doesn't make it any more better than what it really is. Gross.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Ha! That's comically bad. I've had to deal with the Blazers telecasters and they are 100x worse. Bull calls Rockets on flops, Bill on bad calls, and Drex... Well Drex is there I guess. IMO this is more of a sign of how much this fanbase is hated, and less the announcers.

9. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Nobody is worse than Clyde, period.

Sean Elliot is a big homer, but he doesn't sound like a complete buffoon.

Rocketeer4Life likes this.
  10. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Bill and bull aren't the problem

11. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

With enough negative feedback I think Calvin Murphy will eventually return back to the TV commenting. I really missed both Bill and Calvin. I don't miss the old PJ looking uniforms though (this is unfortunately when I started watching and following the Rockets).

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Any announcers ranking that doesnt have spurs and cavs in the bottom 3 is trash

Also, clyde is obviously amongst the worst, but he only does half our games. No one seems to make that distinction

Bill and bull are solid. Having Murph in the studio is also a major plus.

13. ibm

ibm Member

i dont get to listen to other local broadcasters that often, and i am sure there are many good ones out there. but i like our crew. what's wrong w/ a little homerism? that's the way it's supposed to be.

and calvin murphy's colorful outfit beats the tnt color guy hands down. even clyde brings fun in his own weird way. :grin:

that being said, jvg trumps all broadcasters. he's the GOAT in that business.

14. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Golden state has got to be up there. Boston should be below us

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Utah was pretty bad last I heard them

Rocket River

16. OpenLayup-Why3?

Yup, this list is more or less spot on. First couple years of DMo's career in Houston I was looking for other team's broadcast when watching the games. Now I got used to the trio, but they are unbelievably terrible to listen to if you're not a Rockets fan.

17. AXG

AXG Member

I feel like the bottom half that list is pretty interchangeable. A few I cannot stand: Spurs, Celtics and Jazz. Bulls are pretty bad, too.

18. OpenLayup-Why3?

Mostly it's CLyde, but it's not just Clyde. Number one draft choice...

19. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Worrell is the best. Even in partial senility

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Clyde needs to quit whinging!!!

Rocketeer4Life likes this.