1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lobby here for a 3rd new jersey!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by droxford, Sep 24, 2003.

?

Should the Rockets make a 3rd jersey with "Houston" on it?

1. [b]YES![/b] Third jersey will better demonstrate Rockets loyalty to Houston

352 vote(s)
    79.5%
  2. [b]NO![/b] Rockets should market the team any way they wish

35 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. [b]I DON'T CARE![/b] Any jersey will do.

56 vote(s)
    12.6%
  1. droxford

droxford Member

You heard it, folks! If we want a third jersey with "Houston" on it, we need to work together!

For those of you who don't understand what this is about...

The new Rockets uniforms will have the word "Rockets" on them, but will not have "Houston" on them. Many people have voiced their disapproval of this, feeling that this does not demonstrate loyalty between the Rockets organization and the city of Houston. Others feel that it's the organization's right to market the Rockets as best as they wish.

The Rockets will not change the two new existing uniforms, but accrding to Tim McDougall (Vice President of Marketing for the Rockets organization), our only option would be for us to lobby to have a third jersey made that said "Houston" on it.

How do you feel? Vote in this poll and/or reply to this thread to provide input on the 'third jersey' issue.

-- droxford

2. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Yes!! And I want It to be gold color!!!

3. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

We had soul... :(

[​IMG]

I would lobby at rockets.com for better results?

4. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

no!

5. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Okay, so 100 freakin percent of your devoted fans so far have voted that y'all need to put "Houston" on a jersey.

Now tell me, realistically, how smart of a marketing move it was to exclude that?

Please no B.S., I'm tired of hearing excuses like how it's more specific to this team to have "Rockets" on all the jerseys. In a fan-oriented business, it's not very smart to go this hardcore against the grain of your fans' opinion.

If there had been a jersey that said "Houston" on it, would there be 100% on a poll saying that they needed another jersey with just "Rockets" on it? No. If you had put "Houston" on the original away jerseys, would anybody have been this pissed off because you excluded "Rockets"? No.

I wish the team would either
    A) Admit they did it so they could sell more red jerseys to people who weren't from Houston, i.e. all the Chinese folks who watch the Rox now, or
    B) Admit they were wrong and just do something about it. Hell, you can still change it because you haven't even released the damn things yet. Just tell the papers and the websites that the ebay thing was just a "earlier generation" version and the "real" ones have "Houston" on them.

#5 DallasThomas, Sep 24, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2003
  6. jiggaj

jiggaj Member

Here ye, here ye! The Rockets' omission of Houston on the away jerseys is completely unacceptable. We, the fans and taxpayers, deserve better and deserve appreciation. If it weren't for us, the team would be couped up in Louisville right now. Instead, the team has a brand new palace and the revenue that will accompany the arena. Since the team failed to recognize us, I say we play the Rockets at their own game. Let's give the team two months to alleviate the situation by changing the road uniforms and switching "Rockets" to "Houston." After that point, I urge an all out boycott on all Rockets apparel, including jerseys, t-shirts, etc. To let the team know that we're serious, let's take it further by starting with a boycott of the Wednesday, December 3 game against the Utah Jazz, and continuing to boycott until the jersey problem is resolved. Houston fans do not deserve this kind of treatment. We've stuck with the team through highs and lows, and we demand appreciation and most importantly, respect. WHO'S WITH ME??????

7. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

FYI

People buy juersay now for the color. They could give a money a-- about the team or the players (in general). Why do you thing Wes Unsold is on of if not the most popular throwback. Along with Nolan (astos rainbow) Ryan.

second people buy because of the PLAYER. do you think that the rockets sales jumped up because all of a sudden pin stripe were in or people like the team. No. It jumped up because about 1/5 of the world poulation had a player thaye could chere for in the league. I mean I how many braves and NY yankee stuff sell around here. (alot)

all this mean is that you will not sell a thing unless you got a team with fly colors (SILVER AND BLACK) or a fly player or 2 (Shaq and Kobe) by the way the lakers have to have the UGlIEST colors in basketball

8. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Do you ever watch BET?

Every rapper that's from Atlanta wears Hawks/Falcons/Braves crap in their videos. Every rapper that's from St. Louis wears St. Loius gear, and so on. Every kid that watches said rapper and likes what he's wearing buys that same jersey. Every kid that likes a local rapper from Houston that wears Houston jerseys (a la Lil' Flip) will also buy the jerseys that say HOUSTON so they can show their city pride. There's a lot of that in hip-hop culture, which has very close ties to basketball, the sport that the HOUSTON Rockets play.

9. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

I always thought they should have kept the old colors but modified the yellow to gold.

Like a Florida St., 49ers, and Boston college. They sport red & gold and it looks good.

10. ESource

ESource Member

Yes! HELL, yes! As I've stated before: "ALL I'm trying to get across is that fans should have the option of getting a jersey w/ "Houston" on the front.'

11. bpbstock

bpbstock Member

SILVER with RED TRIM please...

12. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

cant have a thread jersey the year u get a new logo and jersey

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Not only is this a good way for the Rockets to save face on the lack of Houston on the primary jerseys, it is very likely a way for them to make a good chunk of extra money on an alternate jersey.

Personally, while I'd prefer Houston on the main jerseys, I'd be satisfied with an alternate jersey to be worn, say, on Sunday games or something like that.

14. DCballer

DCballer Member

Ok...you guys know that you can't have a third jersey untill the second year of the new uniforms.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Why not just wait a few more years when they change uniforms again. The status quo isn't always profitable, you know. I'm sure we'll see many more Rocket incarnations as long as Les is around.

16. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I personally don't care if the third jersey says Houston or not. I just want to see a clash of red/silver/black/grey-white-whatever-that-color-is.

17. jamma34

jamma34 Member

i wanna see the dominant color be black

18. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

The lack of "Houston" on a jersey pisses me off. We've EARNED it after shelling out all that money for the Toyota Center.

You paying attention, Les?

19. Sattle

Sattle Contributing Member

Is there an email address we can send our request to? I know Tim is the man here and will surely see this thread, however, is he the one to give the final say for a 3rd jersey? If not, who is and how can we reach them.

20. lggarcia

lggarcia Contributing Member

Can somebody break down how the funding of the stadium was done. The taxes (were they the same tourist tax like the other stadiums). As well as revenue the team gets from merchandise.. tickets.. suites etc... I just get the feeling while this is houston's team, how much is paid for by houston (aren't the biggest and best boxes owned by huge firms) and many prime season ticket holders are corporations that may not even be from houston. perhaps I'm wrong.