1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lob pass and proper spacing essential vs. front defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pacmania, Apr 25, 2009.

1. pacmania

pacmania Member

Just wanted to share some observations about game 3. We were very fortunate to come out with a win on some clutch plays in the end but I feel we have not been properly exploiting the fronting defense.

We are allowing the fronting defense to dictate where we go on offense, anywhere but Yao.

First of all , the spacing just isn't right. Adelman or his coaching staff overloads the area where Yao is being fronted with another three point shooter in the corner where yao is being fronted such that you have a triangle formation with the passer the three point shooter in the corner and Yao being fronted.
    This absolutely destroys any option for a lob pass because the defender guarding the three point shooter in the corner hedges and crowds Yao even more hence allowing them a soft double team even before Yao catches.
    Ideally, you want Yao isolated , so that the rim is vulnerable. the three point shooter in the corner where Yao is being fronted should be in the extreme opposite corner to clear space for a lob pass.
    It is just TOO CROWDED for any sort of lob pass to be plausibly thrown in such offensive formation where you overload Yao with another defender. That type of offensive formation actually aids the fronting defense.
    It is similar to an isolation play where you spread out the floor.

Secondly, the passer has to throw a lob pass after getting eye contact. It has to be at the right HEIGHT and VELOCITY. If the spacing is right the help defender will not arrive before Yao catches the ball. Someone will be wide open as Yao gets doubled.

I just feel we are not properly exploiting the fronting defense. Unless we have some sort of Lob pass option we will not be dictating our offense , the fronting defense will be dictating to us where to go and we will become more predictable.

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

i'm seriously going to poke my own eyes out if i see one more person mention anything pertaining to a lob pass and yao ming.

yao ming cannot handle a lob pass. were yao ming to somehow miraculously handle the lob pass, he cannot physically gather himself quickly enough to score off said lob pass.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Yao in the High Post

Yao *can* consistantly hit that shot . . . with out a dribble
    I'd love to see them try and FRONT him there
    I trust him to make the right pass

Rocket River
    . . and yea more Artest posting Roy . . .make him work on Defense!