1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Loaned a friend $3000, gave me a bounced check, what to do?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by aggie87, Sep 4, 2014.

1. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

While he may not have money his dad does. Small claims judgements will affect one's FICA score which has other effects. His dad does seem to bail him out when he's cornered. I bet his dad coughs up the money...unless his credit is already in the toilet.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

$60 I could live with.

Not $1000

3. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

You don't get a "prosecutor" in small claims court. Filing a small claim case is civil, not criminal. If you are filing it yourself you are responsible for your own representation. If, however, you are talking about filing a police report for a theft by check case, then yes a prosecutor gets assigned (assuming the case gets assigned). While the prosecutor will consult with you, you don't get to decide if it goes to trial - the prosecutor can make a deal whether you agree or not.

4. hehlol

hehlol Member

Yeah, it depends on the scuffle. If its a slap or a punch then no. If it is just pushing and shoving then maybe. It varies depending on the situation.

You found out he was a bad friend and it cost you 1200. I prefer it to cost less, but at least he paid most of it back. By the sounds of it I think he had no intention to pay that much, but I don't know more than what I have to go by in this thread.

I do agree that the op should have probably been more patient and even dropped it for a while. Some people just need time to get back on their feet and getting $1200 back in 1-3 years is better than never getting it back.

5. bongman

bongman Member

I thought that with a court judgement, you can either, do a bank levy, wage garnishment or put a lien on any of the debtors property.

6. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I just cannot agree with this. If it were $12,000, then surely it would be worth it. $1200 is just not enough money to go through the headache of the process.

I believe that bouncing a $3000 check is a felony so perhaps the authorities could give the guy a little hell if that's the goal. Of course, the year long gap might complicate things if you wanted to go that route.

I'd just let it go. You paid $1200 to get a deadbeat loser out of your life. It might seem like a good deal in another few years.

7. body slam

body slam Member

I have a cousin that did this. The show pays the winner and the loser pays nothing.

8. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Mistake!

#88 Ace, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  9. bongman

bongman Member

That is why folks are suggesting small claims court that has a maximum of $5K. You might be able to afford a $1200 loss but we really don't know OP's financial situation.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What if it's dismissed?

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I've seen friends make up after one beat the crap out of the other. Thankfully, if my best friends get mad at me, I get the silent treatment, or they are impossible to get mad.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I thought small claims was $10k?

13. bongman

bongman Member

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup. And kick his ass. Even "friends" need an ass kicking from time to time.

15. hehlol

hehlol Member

Seeking new friends.

Preference - posters in this thred (excluding k low 4 prez and jontro)

My financial situation has been kinda shaky lately so if you have like 1200 bucks you can lend me i promise i will repay you first thing when i get my paycheck.

16. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

The father isn't really to blame - so probably best to take his info off the first page.

#96 Ace, Sep 5, 2014
  17. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I think juicy was right and you were excusably wrong.

Is Ace being sarcastic? I hope so.

Macalu is right--You should never lend money to someone you'd consider suing to get the money back. If you guys aren't that close you might as well bring a small claims suit against him then vow to never lend money to anyone again.

My interpretation of OPs posts is that he is not confrontational enough to demand the money back and thus he is unlikely to file a claim against this friend, which requires more aggression.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Why are you putting his father on the hook? You're being irresponsible just as much as your friend. You made the loan, you take responsibility for it.

#98 Space Ghost, Sep 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  19. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

You're right actually. It's not really the dad's fault. But the OP should edit the stuff on the front page where he calls the dad out, as that's on the first page for a few terms related to his business now... you should also edit the quote.

20. body slam

body slam Member

no one gets anything