1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[LMAO] Kenyon Martin gets FIBA letter because Chinese officials were on vacation

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sinobball, Feb 3, 2012.

1. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

A week is different from a business week.

Mainland China's celebration of Chinese New Years, according to wikipedia:

New Year's Eve and the first two days. (Usually, the Saturday before and the Sunday after Chinese New Year are declared working days, and the 2 additionally gained holidays are added to the official 3 days of holiday, so that people have 7 consecutive days, including weekends, off.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_New_Year

I would tend to think that KMart's rep team sending this request right before the 7 day holiday period starting seem to indicate a loophole. He could've sent information in for the two weeks that he's not doing anything once he left the team before the holidays, but he chose this period, after signing the contract to not play until the season is over for his Chinese team. He signed the contract to get paid out, then tried to use this as a loophole to earn a second contract is what it seems like.

Regardless, it's a crafty move, but there's definitely "something wrong" with the way he went about it. He did not have to sign a contract with China, or at least I'd have to think he could get jobs elsewhere. He wanted the money, and he knew the contract requirements.

1 person likes this.
  2. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

They're not being nazis, they didn't allow players to leave mid season to protect fair competition in their league. The NBA players knew this before they signed, so yeah, if they weren't gonna honor their contracts then they shouldn't have gone. But don't try to spin it as the CBA's fault for trying to protect the quality of their product.

3. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

[​IMG]

KENYON MARTIN
    @KENYONMARTIN6

http://twitter.com/#!/KENYONMARTIN6

HAPPY NEW YEAR
    2 Jan
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kenyon Martin still hasn't updated his twitter account. He's taunting China....

4. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

And he did not breach those contract requirements one bit. I agree with you, that it can be seen as wrong if you look at it a certain way, I guess I just don't see it as that bad. At the same time if I found out some wall street fatcat used something like this to avoid paying his fair share of taxes I'd be up in arms soooo, I'm a hypocrite.

5. clos4life

clos4life Member

The letter of the law was kept. The CBA was holding him to the letter of the law in his contract and he kept all of it. There is nothing that's "something wrong" about that. He followed all procedures.

The CBA got caught with their pants down, simple as that. It's called ineptitude. KMart did everything legally right.

6. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Smart move by Martin. Rules are rules and that's the way it goes. I can understand the CBA officials being upset, but FIBA can't really do anything.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Other countries? FIBA stands for International Federation of Basketball. That isn't some other country. It is an organization that Chinese basketball pays dues to to help govern the sport. FIBA screwed up on that policy -- it should be measured in business days. Martin's agent did a good job taking advantage.

I think Martin and the rest of guys who went to China are doing a good job of shooting the union in the foot. They went to take advantage of the CBA, take their money when the lockout is gone and try to weasel out of their obligations when it's over. Will the CBA be willing to help NBAPA applicants during the next lockout? I doubt it.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

China has no right to whine, they break copyright law every single day of the week.

Screw em, KMart did exactly what he should do, and they lost.

DD

9. sinobball

sinobball Member

Thanks for making this a "us vs. them" issue. Wish all things were so easy.

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Yeah!

This Chinese guy bumped into me the other day, and didn't apologize.

I now hate the whole of China.

11. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

This was from the article:
    "China has forwarded an affidavit to FIBA and the NBA – signed by Martin upon his departure in late December – that stipulates he wouldn’t play in the NBA until his Xinjiang Guanghui Flying Tigers’ season had ended. China is demanding the contract be honored and Martin have to wait until the Flying Tigers finish their season.

The Flying Tigers have six games left and need a winning streak to catapult them into the playoffs. Their final regular-season game is Feb. 16.."

I fail to see how he kept his part of the bargain with the contract. The deal was that he would not play in the NBA until the season is over with his team in China. Their season is not over. KMart chose to sign with China when all the European teams are allowing people to sign and leave whenever the NBA re-opens for business. China disagrees with the method and only wanted players that would stick out the season. KMart choosing to sign for money, and then wanting out because the NBA opens again does not fit the contract that he signs. The team did not want a whining player around and they agreed that he does not have to follow the team.

A contract is a contract. KMart agreed and he signed a stipulation that says that he won't play in the NBA until his team in China is done for the season, likely so others won't set foot in similar cases for any other leagues if it were open to them. Instead of following through with the stipulation that he agreed on, he waited until Chinese New Year where offices are gone for the business week and use that as his opportunity to override his agreement, and get paid fully for his contract. That can't possibly be "right" in any manner.

12. sinobball

sinobball Member

Because China can't possibly be "right" in anything.

Martin found a loophole and used it to his advantage. That's that. Nothing evil, certainly not noble. Do you think only a handful NBA players would sign in China without knowing the full consequences in case the lockout is lifted? The CBA pays imports about 2-20 times higher than in Europe. As I've said before, Martin made 1 million USD (after tax) playing for <1 month in China.

But to be honest, China doesn't give a damn about Martin playing in NBA. It's not like he just left the league; he was fired about 2 months ago. The thing that matters is to prevent JR and Wilson from getting clearance letters in the middle of the season for similar reasons. The fact that the CBA is communicating with the NBA/FIBA is to prevent that from happening, because if they don't, some clubs could quit the league.

1 person likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tone down big fella!