1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Lloyd] Cavs engaged with Rockets on deal involving Alec Burks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sogood., Feb 5, 2019.

1. bmelo

bmelo Member

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Stuff like this just makes me think Morey won't be around too much longer if Tilman is going to dictate stuff like this. Maybe that's an overreaction, but I just think Morey wants to have carte blanche to build a contender and with Tilman that is looking like it won't be the case. People who hated Les Alexander owe that dude an apology.

But hey...maybe we make a move for a real piece and this will all be for naught.

#282 J Sizzle, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Drogba and ROXTXIA like this.
  3. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

I don’t understand this. Why wouldn’t Morey swap Burks for Knight if they were on the same contract? Burks is playable but Knight is not. Seems like you are complaining for the sake of complaining.

biff17 likes this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He wouldn't be exploring it is the point. The primary goal here is to cut money off the deal.

I'm sure for free he would make the swap, but he wouldn't have Burks on his list of targets if the contract was identical.

Vivi, ROXTXIA and J Sizzle like this.
  5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I used to wonder a bit, What's with all the Tilman hate? This was when he was rumored to have interest in buying the team. I have to admit, I didn't really follow news about him.

Then I was like, "Oooooooooooooohhh; the guy who owns Landry's, which has turned into Red Lobster quality-wise, and Saltgrass, whose portions shrunk while the prices did not. Now I get it."

J Sizzle likes this.
  6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Congrats on your 15-year anniversary on CF, hater. :D

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Giving away one of the Rockets few assets (teh 1st rounder) to make a minor upgrade to Burks from Knight is basically admitting you're going to sit out the rest of the trading deadline action for anything major because you know L-TAX SAVINGS!

ramotadab likes this.
  8. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Bazemore and James Johnson are two examples of players we have been interested in. Both better players than Knight, but on worse contracts. Kind of disproves your theory that we’re only in cost-cutting mode.

IMO, Burks is a similar caliber of player to these two. It’s a rational choice to say you’d take the player on the shorter deal.

9. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Lol half a year after we won the most games in franchise history, AND put up some of the most dominant numbers in league history while healthy, AND after we could/should/would have won a championship if we weren't jobbed by the scumbag Scott Foster (even after an untimely injury to a crucial piece of the team), and everyone is calling for Morey's and Tilman's head because of rumors about one silly trade...

... Besides, isn't it possible this clears space for us to re-sign House? And if that happens, I think we have a really damn good team if we stay healthy going into the playoffs.

ramotadab and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  10. justtxyank

Bazemore is a significantly better player than Burks. Significantly.

J Sizzle, tc0330 and mario elie like this.
  11. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Also we tried to sign Jimmy Butler which would have sent our luxury tax payments soaring. Think it's pretty clear Tilman will pay if it's definitely worth it, but won't for a variety of role players that will keep bumping up our LT higher and higher until it all of a sudden accumulates. I wish he would, cause I dont care how a billionaire spends his money, but that where the cost cutting comes in. I'm still fairly confident if there is a big deal to be made for a Beal type player we'd do it.

ramotadab and joshuaao like this.
  12. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

That’s not the point @justtxyank was making though. He said that Morey wouldn’t even swap Burks for Knight if they were on the same deal, even though the former is a better player. Was just disagreeing with this hyperbole.

Again, I agree it’d be underwhelming if Burks was the one move made at the deadline. I’d personally prefer we use Chriss, Nene, Ennis and that first to get a meaningful piece. Let’s see what the market shakes out before freaking out though.

13. tc0330

tc0330 Member

if we can somehow flip gordon for jaylen brown before the deadline ill be happy.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Probably Burks wouldn't even play in the playoffs if we get a buyout guarda/wing ala Matthews and/or bring back House

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I don't know man, alot of people saying Burks is good.

16. justtxyank

My point is that Burks the player is not the real target of the swap, it's Burks the contract that just happens to have an ok rotation player attached to it. He's not a good enough player that Morey would want him if he didn't have a better contract.

SamFisher likes this.
  17. Newlin

Newlin Member

If the Rockets choose to keep Knight, considering the lux tax hit, how much would it cost Tilman and the Rockets?

18. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Burks is a more gifted scorer and rebounder, while Bazemore is a better defender.

The difference between the two isn’t as stark as you make it seem. And it definitely doesn’t warrant paying $23 MM extra in salary ($6 MM this year and $17 MM next year)

Chamillionaire likes this.
  19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Keeping him over Burks is 4m in salary, and ~10m in lux tax payments.

20. thekad

thekad Member

Miami is looking to dump Ellington to get under the tax. Like Houston.