1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Little more info on Lewis...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jul 7, 2000.

1. RT45

RT45 Member

It is a stretch but my point all along is that it is possible for Seattle to cut cap which is making Lewis think twice about signing a mid range offer sheet from another team. Like I asked before, would you like to be the one who forces a franchise to rebuild so you can get a few more bucks up front?

------------------

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Do you really think that Rashard Lewis could make Seattle rebuild their whole team? He would not even think twice, because any human with common sense would realize how stupid that would be. If you were Seattle or any GM, disregarding salaries and looking at what it takes to build a winner, would you trade away Horace Grant, Vin Baker, Shammond Williams, Brent Barry, Vernon Maxwell, Ruben Patterson, Greg Foster all for Rashard Lewis and a few scrubs ala Derrick McKey? Lewis has common sense, and even if all of that happened Seattle couldn't outbid Toronto or Chicago. Anybody with common sense knows Seattle will not give up their entire team to keep Lewis, so your argument is still skewed in that it would not influenece Rashard's decision.

------------------
    Member of the pro-Collier/Langhi movement. IN RUDY WE TRUST!!

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Sorry, but your argument doesn't hold water.

-First and most importantly, how could Lewis believe that Seattle will match any offer, when I've just show that it's mathmatically impossible for them to match a Bulls offer of $6.7M or more? He simply signs for $7M with Chicago and there's no chance of Seattle matching the offer and him having to play on a weakened team.

- Do you really believe that Lewis thinks that this would even be an option for Seattle? Come on, he jumped straight from HS not grade school. No team is going to gut the entire roster for Rashard Lewis. Suggesting that Lewis believes that Seattle would do that is ridiculous.

Now, I'm off to bed. I'll check in tomorrow.

------------------

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

All you have to offer him is 4.5 million. Just out of the Sonics ability to match him.

Hmmm, isn't that the exact amount of our trade exception? Interesting.

DaDakota

------------------

5. RT45

RT45 Member

It depends on which direction Seattle chooses. If they feel Lewis is the player they want to build the franchise around then of course they make those moves. It leaves them with Payton, Mason, Lewis, Oyedeji, McCoy, two exceptions, and whoever they don't cut. Then they could deal Payton to a team for a couple of young players and draft picks.

------------------

6. The Cat

Actually, DaDakota, to be honest all we'd have to do (or any team) is offer Rashard 2.4 million for ONE year and Seattle can't match it. Seattle can only even go up to 4 million because of early Bird rights and they only get that if it is a 2 year contract. If any team wants to sign Rashard for one season, they could offer 2.4 million, and that is more than Seattle could match if Rashard chose to take it. All Seattle would have in their cards to match in a one year scenario is the 2.3M exception.

------------------

7. The Cat

RT- as aelliott already stated, you won't be anywhere near 6.6M under unless you renounce or trade away Mason and Olumide. So don't factor them in. In that case, Seattle's team next year would be Payton, Lewis, Mccoy, and 9 CBA type players. There is no realistic chance of that happening, and Rashard, everyone else, and hopefully you realize just how ludicrous this argument of yours is.

------------------

8. RT45

RT45 Member

Sorry, but your argument doesn't hold water.

-First and most importantly, how could Lewis believe that Seattle will match any offer, when I've just show that it's mathmatically impossible for them to match a Bulls offer of $6.7M or more? He simply signs for $7M with Chicago and there's no chance of Seattle matching the offer and him having to play on a weakened team.

It is possible, yet difficult and out right crazy but still possible. It isn't mathematically impossible, call it what it really is; crazy.

- Do you really believe that Lewis thinks that this would even be an option for Seattle? Come on, he jumped straight from HS not grade school. No team is going to gut the entire roster for Rashard Lewis. Suggesting that Lewis believes that Seattle would do that is ridiculous.

Horace Grant told Lewis himself that he told management to do whatever it takes to keep him even if it means trading himself (Grant).

It is difficult and crazy but if Seattle values Lewis enough, they can cut cap and match an offer, but at an extreme expense to the talent on their roster.

------------------

9. The Cat

I think I'm fixing to quit for tonight as well. If you can't realize after everything aelliott showed that it is mathematically impossible for Seattle to match that offer, there's no point. There is no way Seattle can match a 7 or 8 million dollar offer from Chicago or Toronto. No way. Even if they give up their whole team outside of Payton and Mccoy.

------------------

10. RT45

RT45 Member

This argument is getting old, so I am done responding. Here is my prediction:

Lewis will sign with Seattle for the early bird or an offer sheet for a figure close to the max with Chicago. Lewis will be pursuaded to not take the mid level exception by Sonics teamates and management.

Trust me folks, this Houston talk is B.S.

------------------

11. The Cat

Trust me folks, Rashard's agent, friends, and family aren't lieing. This Houston stuff is legit. As reported by his family and the Seattle Times, he will sign for one year. Watch and see.

------------------

12. The Cat

The one question I had still remains unanswered. Why would Rashard's own brother lie about Rashard and Houston and say he would sign one year deal? Why would ESPN and media outlets report that Lewis wanted to return home to Houston? Why would Rashard's friends and agent let it be known that he wants to come home badly? Why would he not want to come to a team where his family is and one that has a bright future? That buddy is not BS. That's called legit.

------------------

13. The Cat

And I'm sorry, but I think all those sources and evidence I just listed completely dwarf your "source on the Sonics summer team." And as someone said earlier, wouldn't his family, etc. be a little more reputable than a player on the summer league team? Your argument is completely invalid here.

------------------

14. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

RT45,

You never got back to me on M Madsen.

What do you think?

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum
    2. Use clear wording for new threads
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself like an adult

The Serious Police are watching

Donate Blood!
    All will be assimilated.

15. knits stekcor

knits stekcor Member

So far The Cat is leading RT45 in posts, 27-23. Let's see who comes out on top.

The fastest thread ever to reach 100 posts? Man this is a slow summer.

------------------
    I will demonstrate my clutchness this November.

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Not that anyone would yet offer 7 million for Rashard Lewis. I think.
    I was wondering if we could offer our next year's pick, the Milwaukee pick, and maybe the Orlando pick to Seattle in a sign-and-trade (4.1, using the exception). Even if they would do it, how ironic to give away 3 #1s when we coulda had'em two years ago instead of Mirksad Turkcan (wherever he is now).

------------------

17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Charlotte leak you refer to, had only team salaries not players, and those were from last season. No one knows McKey's actual salary, that's merely a guess, and it could very easily be more than that.

I will also say, that I am 99% sure that he will be a Sonic next year. If all reports from the Seattle newspaper are correct, he will be on a 1 year contract. But, Seattle has no chance of clearing up that much capspace without gutting the team (ie-getting rid of GP).

------------------
    The more lefties on your team, the better.
    Collier is Seven Foot and Left Handed. How can you go wrong?
    Trade or bench Kenny Thomas.

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited July 08, 2000).]

18. The Cat

Oh- and RT45, what's this? Apparently Lewis is pulling OUT of the Sonics summer league team, which hadn't even started yet. That takes away a lot of credibility from your "source" right there.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/sports/sonics/html98/soni08_20000708.html

Lewis snubs Sonic summer league - According to the Seattle Times: Rashard Lewis' initial plan to play for the Sonic summer-league team was the best indication that he would re-sign with Seattle. Now the 6-foot-10 Lewis has changed his mind and pulled out, fueling the speculation that his sights may be focused elsewhere. Reading between the lines says Lewis is just freeing up his calendar to visit other suitors and take in a little first class treatment. The Bulls, Clippers, Magic and Raptors are the only teams that can overcome Seattle's right of first refusal on Lewis. -Sonics Rant

------------------

19. The Cat

ROXTXIA- Just to let you know, I've read in a number of places Toronto will offer Lewis 41M over 6 years so that already exceeds Seattle by far.

------------------

20. The Cat

Also guys, I just wanted to post one more little nugget of good info from bskball.com.

Wizard's current free agent center Jahidi White has received invitations and offers from at least 5 NBA teams, and that does not include Washington. The Sonics are very high on White and they seem like a front runner, as White could likely start for them.

I'm sure White would require at least the 2.3 exception, and if the Sonics do that you know what I'm thinking. We can sign Lewis for one year at the 2.3M exception, and with Seattle's exception gone, they would be unable to match it unless in 15 days they traded away Grant and Baker to team's under the cap in the East. Problem is, I doubt the Sonics would value Lewis that high and I know that there aren't any under the cap teams willing to take on Grant and/or Baker's contracts for Seattle.

------------------