1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Listening to 610....Wade is gonna start Schaub?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by roxxfan, Dec 19, 2013.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Because they already have. Remember 2011?

2. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, that's the point I was trying to make re: Case/Schaub and Kubiak.

I thought it was kinda cunning to have the edict to play Keenum (McNair, Jr., and Smith must all know he's not the answer), to accomplish the dual mandate of losing games and satisfying the pro-Case faction with a prolonged audition before moving on to another QB in 2014.

Now, you know Schaub is going to try and improve his stock for next year over the remaining two games and it might (probably won't) cost us some draft positioning.

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

A healthy Case is just as bad.

4. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Not all that surprising. Even if TJ were healthy, the former pro-bowler will typically get a chance over the career backup every time.

To be honest, I wouldn't be shocked if Schaub is the starter again going into next season. It will obviously be dependent on the coaching hire, but there are a number of candidates I could see trying to revive the veteran rather than draft a QB 1st overall. Ken Whisenhunt just got finished resurrecting River's career. He did the same with Kurt Warner despite the franchise's investment in Matt Leinart.

With all the money & cap tied up in Schaub, giving him another chance under a new staff seems likely. Maybe get a 2nd-4th round qb to compete with Schaub this year, or just plan on drafting from a strong 2015 QB class should the Schaub revive not pan out.

5. ln3012

ln3012 Member

who knows, if we don't draft a QB or get one through FA Schaub may indeed be our starter next season. as sad as that sounds it's an upgrade from both keenum/TJ Yates

6. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

I agree with this. If the new coach is not sold on any of these top 5 QB prospects, the coach may say that in order for Bob McNair's, "quick turnaround", keeping Schaub is the best option. I really think this is a possibility. I could very well see Whisenhunt or Bill O'Brien coming in here and telling Bob, "Schaub gives us a better chance at winning this season than Bridgewater, Manziel, etc.". I do not agree, but its not my team. Once you lose the fans I do not know that I ever recall a player geting the fans faith in them back. Once it is done, its done. See Lidge, Jacoby, soon to be Schaub.

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

There is no chance that Schaub is back next season based on how the fans have acted towards him in Houston this year. Getting cheered for being hurt and relentlessly booed when he came back into the game trying to lead a comeback for Keenum. There will even be some boos for him when he's starting against Denver this week as well I think. He's done here.

8. Raven

Raven Member

The season can't end quickly enough. I'm so disgusted, I might not even watch the SB. :(

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Can't wait.

Glad the regular season for College Ball is over too.

10. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Schaub and TJ are gone this year, if we have to start the season with a bad QB we are going to star Keenum, or they will a competition Keenum vs the QB drafted next year.

11. ln3012

ln3012 Member

if we draft or acquire one through FA, then i certainly think whoever the new guy is will start, regardless of whether or not he's ready. on the other hand, if we don't acquire a new qb this summer, there is only one option available at that point..and it's to start schaub. as of now, calling keenum/yates a backup qb in this league is a compliment to both of them

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Compare that to the preseason when people were saying Case and TJ could both be starters and we could get high round picks if we traded them.

13. thething

thething Contributing Member

Sometimes players change over the years. Josh Mccown was terrible back in 2011.

I don't really think Yates is the answer, but it's worth a shot. What do we have to lose at this point?