1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

List of MVP Voters Who Voted Against Harden in 2017 and 2019

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Earnie Banks, Jun 25, 2019.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Harden had better numbers than Leonard that year for sure, I think Leonard was more efficient though. I believe more advanced stats favored Harden over Leonard. But thats the thing, Harden had both that year, numbers and record, neither of the other two candidates satisfied the both criteria.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Except Harden didn't have the record. #3 seeds almost never win.

Kawhi actually had both. As did Durant and Curry (but they were disqualified). Harden had more box score numbers but Kawhi was better by on/off and rapm.

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

A reason why media should not vote, 90% should be players and 10% should be fans.

4. HP3

HP3 Member

But Harden had better numbers? Posting up amazing numbers do matter, and he did it without another all star on the team. I dont care what the historical criteria was for seeding, what matters is that we had a top 3 record in the entire league, that should be good enough. I dont mind people voting for Leonard, he has a good case as you have made, but I still think James was the best candidate.

Harden had historic numbers Kawhi did not. Taken from an article "Not only did Harden break the record for most points created, but he did so with stunning efficiency. The previous high was set by Tiny Archibald in 1972-1973, who posted a true shooting percentage of about 51%. Of the top five seasons for total points created, the highest TS% hovered around 52%. This year, James Harden finished with a TS% of 61.3%." Harden also led the league in win shares. Harden accounted for 4,554 points this season. So yea while Kawhi was more slightly more efficient, he was not nearly doing what Harden was doing that year. If Curry/Durant were disqualified, then dont count them, neither of them have had better regular seasons than Harden the last two years. And I would argue neither of them had a better post season either at least this year.

5. Mr. Clutch

So if we're going by numbers then why not Westbrook?

I agree this is all dumb, but we want to argue harden over kawhi because of stats, then harden over Westbrook because of record.

It's not consistent either. And harden won mvp last year so the anger seems over the top.

6. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Fans? Man, if you think media voters are bad...

HP3 likes this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

Why not? Why not give it to the dude who is the most well rounded candidate?

It is consistent, why should it just be one criteria? Kawhi and Giannis had good stats/record, as did Harden, therefore they are in the conversation. If you voted for either over Harden I dont have problems, but thats not what happend. And the race was never between Kawhi and Westbrook all year.

Anger? Lol i dont get angry at these things, i get slightly irked but lol, i agree with championships being more important so lets focus on that. But I also dont understand why people say "stop whining" like okay fine, yea some of you guys dont like what the Rockets did for Harden on twitter, but the reaction was overblown as well.

Like, fine, we are not as hated as we think we are, but you are in denial if you dont think we get ALOT(more than most) of undeserved crap from media and other fans. Its not a stretch to say we are one of the most hated teams in the league.

PlayBall likes this.
  8. Mr. Clutch

Well I think the last two years they've looked at best player on team with best record as they have traditionally, hence Harden and Giannis win mvp. The 17 aberration when warriors were disqaulified looks like a one time thing.

And I think the rockets do get a lot of hate, but the mvp voting isn't really evidence of it. The heat were hated a few years ago, and then the warriors and Durant. Hate is part of the league, especially in the social media age, it's not really unique to the rockets

9. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Michelle Beadle, Royce Young, Ramona Shelbourne, Rachel Nichols, Brian Windhorst, Chris Broussard... Of course.

clutchdabear and D-rock like this.
  10. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

EXACTLY. Thank you.

It's never just one thing, it's always a balance of the individual and the team performance. Like if the two top candidates had similar statistical seasons, but one's on a top seed and one squeaked into the playoffs, the first guy's winning. But those guys wouldn't have been the top candidates without huge individual stats.

I think, to a lot of voters, Giannis's defensive contributions (and no, I'm not trying to say Harden plays no D, but he sure wasn't a DPOY contender) and greater team success outweighed Harden's bigger offensive numbers. And there was probably some "Harden fatigue" too - after he won before and has been near the top for years, an exciting young guy making THE LEAP has definite novelty appeal.

11. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

The fact that you see beadle has a vote, tells you everything about the mvp voting or the award in general. Its ****ing mind boggling.

Miami_Rockets, Sajan and dc rock like this.
  12. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea, and thats fine, fair. Yea but it doesnt change the fact that Harden was definitely screwed over that year.

Ehhh, the Westbrook Giannis thing makes me think differently and the Westbrook-James-Giannis(even moreso. Yea thats fair hate will be there, fans will always do that with social media. But I dont like it when the media does it, like I dont appreciate when professional news outlets takes jabs at us on twitter. Or when shows like the Jump have a segment called "Rockets blame Pie" after we lost game 7. Its undue really, what cause you dont like our play style or our players, show some professionalism. Guys like Ben Taylor and Zach Lowe probably dont like us either but at least they are objective about us most of the time.

Yes exactly.

Yea and thats good. Thats a very reasonable take. Giannis is great on both ends and he deserves it. What I dont like is the inconsistency from 2 years ago is all, but the past is the past. And we should just focus on the chip.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  13. bobert923

bobert923 New Member

RO FOR THE WIN!!!

Earnie Banks likes this.
  14. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Where's Maximilian Kellerman's record?

Did he forget to submit his vote?... Or did he fart it out in morse code on live television?

Clutchfans needs real answers.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

True dat. They don't deserve clicks most of the time, much less votes. If the coaches went with Giannis I could at least accept it.

Reeko likes this.
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Championship > MVP

Championship and Finals MVP > MVP

Championship, MVP, Defensive Player of the Year > MVP

Championship, MVP, Defensive Players of the Year , Finals MVP > MVP

Oh (above, already happened)

18. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

Damn you are PURE!

19. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Anybody that voted LeBron last year and Giannis this year should automatically have their voting responsibilities revoked.

You cant say LeBron was the MVP last year because he carried the Cavs through a tough season and then say Giannis is the MVP this year because he was the best player on the best team.

You honestly cant change your reasoning like that unless you are trying really hard to avoid voting for someone.

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Harden had a monster year but I could very easily see the case for Giannis over Harden this year - they were very close by most measures and voters started searching for team records and defensive measures to unbreak the tie.

It doesn’t make you a flip flopper if you thought Westbrook deserved it more than Harden that year - it just meant people thought Westbrook’s achievement was more special as a milestone. People weren’t looking at it like Russell and James had similar numbers - Russell averaged a statistical marker no one thought possible in the modern era and while Harden came close, he missed out.

If Harden’s Rockets won 71 games the year Curry won 73 games it would have been the same argument - the 73 wins was a milestone because it was better than the greatest team of all time. Coming close to the same milestone doesn’t mean much because it’s purely a sentimental measure like the triple double year.