1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Timberwolves bowing out without a fight? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Lions to Contact Haslett???

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by apostolic3, Jan 3, 2006.

1. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Am I the only one here who thought Haslett should have been fired 3 years ago? If Millen hires him, Millen guarantees himself the Worst Executive in NFL History Award. Can someone explain to me why Haslett would be sought after? Tell me why I'm on the wrong track about this guy. I'm (kinda of) a Saints fan and he hasn't done anything to deserve another another gig right off the bat.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2279439

A day after being fired by the Saints, former coach Jim Haslett has scheduled an interview with the Detroit Lions for later this week, ESPN's Ed Werder reports.

The Lions have also contacted Hall of Fame linebacker Mike Singletary about their vacant coaching job.

Asked if he thought he was ready to be an NFL head coach, Singletary said, "Absolutely.''

Singletary, an assistant with the San Francisco 49ers, said Tuesday night the Lions have spoken to him, but an interview has not yet been scheduled.

He also has been mentioned as a potential candidate for the Green Bay Packers' vacant coaching job, but Singletary said the Packers have not contacted him.

Singletary was considered a strong leader in 12 seasons with the Chicago Bears, but lacks some of the coaching experience of other candidates.

This is Singletary's first season as the assistant head coach/linebackers under 49ers coach Mike Nolan. Before that, he spent two years as the Baltimore Ravens' inside linebackers coach. Nolan was defensive coordinator in Baltimore at the time.

Haslett was the 2000 NFL Coach of the Year in his first season after leading the Saints to the only playoff victory in team history. But he never made it back to the postseason, finishing 45-51 in six seasons for the second-most victories in team history behind Jim Mora's 93.

Haslett is expected to be a highly sought candidate in an exploding market. More respected leaguewide than within some quarters of his own organization, he likely will hear from multiple suitors as franchises begin the process of filling vacancies.

Steve Mariucci was dismissed Nov. 28 after 11 games and a 4-7 record. Dick Jauron went 1-4 as Detroit's interim head coach.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

perhaps I should be a coach
    don't seem to have to have much in the way of any talent
    or skills
    or a track record

Rocket River

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'll be honest, i thought haslett did a pretty good job with the saints. i can't imagine many would have done much better with that organization.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Fine with me. Just stay away from Gary Kubiak. ;)

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

???

The Saints have had the talent to make at least a playoff push for years now, and you never know what team is going to show up on gameday. That is a reflection of bad coaching imo.