1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Linsanity the Movie

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bball7, Jan 16, 2013.

1. munco

munco Member

Yeah, major thread derail. Haha.
    The doc looks pretty interesting and it'll be interesting to see the final product

2. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

That is your point of view though, as hard as it is for you to believe I don't care about things such as race. And I do have Asian friends, but even if they were any other race I would still be friends with them...Here is a secret, personality matters.

Well yea, why would I purposely make life difficult for myself and try to market an Asian guy over a Caucasian guy if I am targeting a Caucasian population, to make a point? LOL ok

3. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

I wouldn't say I'm upset, but ideally, you hire who best fits in that role you are looking for, regardless of race. Racism does affect you, whether you like it or not, especially if you have higher aspirations (upper management, media, government, etc..)

I'm not saying that you are racist for what you are doing - your biggest priority is doing your job. I'm sure if race didn't matter, you would choose the best candidate, regardless of race. ie. show an Asian man kissing a white woman, show a black lady with an afro, show two gay men in a family etc..

It's just unfortunate that many people think that these decisions aren't based on the racism that exists today in society. Until everyone realizes this, there's not much we can do to change it, although we can still do our small part.

On the other hand, all it takes is someone powerful, say Steven Spielberg, to create a great movie with a starring role for an Asian male, and it becomes part of popular consciousness.

In fact, Jeremy Lin is doing that right now in the basketball world - redefining Asian men in sports.

4. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

You should stop crying racism and understand what's going on.

People are racist that's a sad fact but Hollywood cares about making money they aren't choosing the actors based on racism.

People want things that they can associate with and that isn't racism at all. Hollywood gives white actors lead roles because white people are the largest target audience.

5. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Yet most Asian people are able to watch movies with white actors with no problem? It's sad then that white men feel uncomfortable seeing men of other races starring in movies.

6. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

I guess that's why the Minnesota Timberwolves are mostly white - so white people in Minneapolis have players than can associate with.

7. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Here is the thing, in my industry, if you are Asian then you are probably not going to be the best fit for the role if I am trying to target an audience that is primarily Caucasian in the majority of cases, unless it makes sense to use an Asian for the product or company.

Here is where we disagree slightly - while we both agree that racism exists, but I don't let it affect the way I think/work/whatever because I know that if I am good at my job I will get where I want regardless of race/looks/whatever, you on the other hand seem to let it affect you to the core.

Here I will give you an example because it is hard to explain what I mean - that Asian model I reject can either accept it, not let it affect him and keep applying for other jobs because eventually he will get one, or he can let it affect him to the core, b**** and moan about how unfair life is and make a big deal out of it.

:rolleyes: Yao, Yi, Wang Zhi Zhi, Mengke, Sun Yue.
    If you are good enough you will make it.

8. Billionzz

It's sad because people like to watch movies that they can associate with? No not at all.

Again it's sad that some people are racist but I kind of wonder if you're being racist, by trying to call racism where it's not.

9. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Here's the thing - many people are under the illusion that we live in a post-racial society. It may be truer in Asian countries, but if your target Caucasian audience is less likely to buy your product because you feature an Asian, then it's a sad reflection of American society.

If you want to stay at your current job, it definitely won't affect you. But if you have higher aspirations, it will affect you whether you like it or not. And when it does, you do have to think about it. On the other hand, being vocal about it does not mean that you "let it" affect you. It doesn't not mean you don't try.

Or you can do both. It's not called "b****ing" or "moaning", it's called being vocal. Silence implies acceptance. Of course, if every marketing department was like yours, then they won't get the job they want, because no one will take a chance on them unless it's for a stereotypical Asian role. It takes one company to take the chance, for that person to be successful.

Hardly good examples, except for Yao, who is tall ("he's 7'6"" of course he can play!").

10. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Then you don't know the definition of racism then.

So would you be a bigger fan of the team if it was all white? Why are Asian people able to watch - and enjoy - movies with white actors without giving it a second thought?

Here's the thing - non-white people have been able to watch white actors without any problem because they've been born into a world where white men are the norm. Unfortunately, many white people, growing up with primarily white faces in the media, lack this sense of empathy. Unless you take the chance and cast non-white faces, white people will continue to have difficulty "associating" with non-white people in the media.

This is one of the main drivers of racism, and the cycle continues.

11. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Wow you sound extremely self-hating. I am actually both under-qualified and under-experience for my job, so yeah, being a minority is totally a big deal! Stop acting like you have a chip on your shoulder, believe in yourself! Peace

12. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

How is stating the truth self-hate? It seems that you are still in a relatively low position, otherwise they wouldn't risk hiring someone that is "under-qualified and under-experience (sic)".

You can put up with it, or change it. You advocate putting up with it, I advocate both.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

I used to love that Asian kid on the teen sitcom city guys. Think he would say something like "Ka-pow." so funny.

People will always go see a good movie. If this movie delivers the story in a new way, it will sell. It just has to be good. Problem here is that the documentary is not likely to reveal anything we don't already know. The gritty story would have been if he didn't make it. They might have a story to tell. But instead, the whole story unveiled itself on a national stage. Great story. but we know how it goes. So there's no suprise in it. So it will be hard to top what happened and therefore hard to sell. Now you tell this story 20 years from now, when a whole generation has forgotten it, then you got some gold. But it's gonna take about twenty years in my opinion to find an audience.

14. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Asian Americans are not foreigners in the US. Your comment is the exact example of the subconscious ignorance. I don't blame you though; that's what the media has taught us.

1 person likes this.
  15. munco

munco Member

It's not about not caring whether someone is a certain race. It's you stating things like this that sound racist or in this case someone that hates their own culture:
    "Name 5 good Asian/Asian American actors."
    "Why would they unless it is a kung-fu action comedy/comedy film or something though? It makes zero sense"

You question if asian/asian american actors can be good and then you later go on to say it makes no sense for asians to have rolls in films unless it's a martial arts film? Holy racist.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

why would this matter? this film is a documentary where Jeremy Lin plays himself, not playing Lu Kang in Mortal Kombat.

17. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Why does Lin not stick to what worked for him during linsanity which he displayed in the 4th tonight? It seems he's turning it off and on whenever he wants.

18. munco

munco Member

I think he's a much better player when he's aggressive and gets screens. On the flipside he seems to turn the ball over more although maybe that's just my eye test. In any case he does seem like a much better player when he's aggressive

19. Billionzz

I know exactly what racism is, it's simple to understand that that you don't know what your talking about.

I have never been to Asia but I assume that they are watching white actors because Hollywood is putting out the best quality films.

Again it is not racism if you like to watch movies with actors you can identify with. To think that just shows that you don't understand the human mind.

I don't care what color the Rockets are, all I care is that they win. Sports is a competition it's different than watching a movie. I enjoy watching a lot of different movies, if the lead actor is Asian, black or white I don't care much but if they are in area that I'm familiar with it's easier to relate for the most part and that's the case for everybody including you whether you want to admit it or not.

The movie has nothing to do with empathy. I have empathy for Lins situation because I understand him being overlooked because he was Asian.

You sound mad and upset with people who are white, that sounds like racism coming from you because you are lumping us all together instead of judging each person by his or hers own merits.

20. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

I'm not aware of many Asians in America still doing that surgery. But I've read about some people in China having surgery to look less Asian for certain jobs.

For whatever reason the Chinese want to use American movie stars or "white" people for marketing. It's not because they're less racist, but probably the "we want to be sucessful like them" or copy them kind of thinking.

I'm not sure how old you are, but if you know anything about Chinese American history, then you know about "Gum San" or Golden Mountain. The Chinese have always looked @ America as the land of opportunity. I think a lot of Chinese in China still want to buy American products for the "status", so how else do you market to them? With American imagery.