1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Linsanity the movie is on Youtube

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thebeardHtown, Nov 22, 2013.

1. areyouserious

areyouserious Member

Idk, there are some pretty bad LOFs.

2. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Shouldn't the question involve Taiwan, and not China?

Aside from this, I'm not sure what you mean by 'bigger pool of talent' in China? Do you mean that China has more talented players than the US?

Due to population size alone I'd agree that this may hold true at the elementary/grade school levels, where talent development is at its nascent stages. But once you get to the collegiate level everything changes. American basketball players have the distinct advantage. Coaching (education & skills training), scouting, nutrition, strength training, conditioning, and above all, competition makes for an uneven playing field when compared to China. Jeremy was clearly the beneficiary of a superior American infrastructure designed for professional basketball development. China has come a very long way, but it's still not close to the US in terms of penultimate 'talent pool'.

Also, I'm not sure how you attributed this quote to me, but I didn't post this... (just to clarify)

No disrespect to BaiHua; he's entitled to his emotions and national pride (although Jeremy's Taiwanese-American, I understand the racial undertones in the Linsanity story and how it impacts Asians, in general). Jeremy's insistence on making annual visits to his parents' homeland, Taiwan, is a testament to him. Although I am not of Asian decent, I can respect his appreciation for his family heritage and culture. Identity is a powerful knowledge. Knowing who you are, and 'why' you are, is essential to longterm development. It's clear he gets it.

Jeremy's a great role model, and I have no doubt he will succeed at life. He's already proven to be a helluva pro basketball player.

3. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

This is hysterical.

4. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Ignore my prior post ^

I was confusing aptitude (talent) with acquired abilities (skills). Talent isn't developed. Skills definitely are, along with knowledge of the game through experience (i.e. watching or training).

So this begs the question, was Jeremy born with the aptitude (talent) to play basketball at a high level? Or did he develop knowledge of the game due to his dad's love for professional basketball, as well as his brothers' influences?

Aptitudes (talents) can be physical or mental. IMO, Jeremy was born with the mental aptitude to play at a high level. His court vision is exceptional and the clutch gene during Linsanity was definitely there.

His attitude, dedication and work ethic, however, allowed him to develop athletic skills over time. For instance, how many thousands of hours of work has Jeremy put in to develop a consistent jumper (even after joining the NBA)? Aside from shooting drills, how much training has he committed to developing an NBA move to his left?

This is no slight against Jeremy. On the contrary, it just shows how determined he is to perfect his passion.

Just had to correct my initial assertion on the 'talent pool' question. Had a long night and it was relatively early here in California when I first read the post this morning. My bad.

5. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Any professional athlete has what you call talent. If he didn't have the baseline pro talent level speed and hand eye coordination, he wouldn't have made it pass the high school level. He could shoot jumpers 24/7 and still would never have made it.

6. Linsanity

Linsanity Member

Jeremy is going back to NY Knicks to be a full time starter after his contract is over here... only NY Knicks environment can elevate his play to Linsanity 2.0

7. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

I don't think the Knick's owner likes him very much.

He'll probably end up at the Lakers.

8. Linsanity

Linsanity Member

Lakers is good too... but the way knicks is playing now, they need a super hero again. After looking at this video, it must of really hurts him to not start, as that is one of his important goal in NBA

9. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Delete your account and go away.

10. Linsanity

Linsanity Member

sorry, this is just how i feel... after watching his movie, he two major goals in life - is to preach Christian to the world and be a full time starter. No way he can do that in Houston Rockets... only in LA Lakers or NY Knicks he will be able to accomplish that especially teaching bible.

11. newAge_Rockets

But I think Lin is smart enough to realize that he has a more important role as an offensive catalyst off our bench, and it helps our team get closer to contending for the most important thing, the championship.

12. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

He has plenty of time to win a championship. I think he's smart enough to realize that these are going to be the best years of his athletic career. Why waste it on the bench?

13. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

I somehow have a strong feeling that Jeremy will finish his career as a Knick. I don't know how it will happen, but the way his story goes it's only fitting. He needs to play in a big stage and the Knicks need to have him back, maybe not totally because of basketball reason but as a good faith to the New York fans. With the recent turmoil in New York some fans mentioned Jeremy as one of their most missed ex-Knicks - "that dude is meant to be a Knick".

Of course, a lot of things need to happen and stars have to align, but the way Jeremy's story goes all his life nothing should be surprising.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

why can't I handle all this r****dation

TIL jeremy Lin would rather teach the bible in a shetty no future team than be on a young contending team that has a chance at the chip.

15. Linsanity

Linsanity Member

yes, according to him, his order of importance is:

1) God
    2) family
    3) basketball
    4) girls (must be christian)

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Thanks Jeremy, didn't know you posted on clutchfans

17. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

^ Don't be ridiculous. It's in the movie. God, family, basketball, and in that order.

The "would rather teach the bible in a shetty no future team than be on a young contending team that has a chance at the chip" comment reminds me of this story/joke:

A telling Hillary Clinton joke has the then-first lady and the president driving along in scenic Arkansas. When they pull over for gas, Clinton notices his wife has jumped out of the car, bounded over to the gas-station attendant, thrown her arms around him, and kissed him with tears of joy. "Who was that?" a bemused Bill asks as they drive away. "Oh," replies Hillary somewhat wistfully, "he was an old flame I haven't seen in years." "Well," says Slick Willie with a smirk, "I guess if you hadn't married me, you'd be helping him pump gas now." "I don't think so," says Hillary icily. "If I had married him, he'd be president now."

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

i'm out, didn't mean to step into the Lin fans zone, oh god..

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

great movie...one thing i got away from that is...Jeremy loves Disney movies...lol...Rodman and jocar do your thing!

20. Brutaldiego88

Brutaldiego88 Member

Links don't work :(