1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin's scrutiny

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kaitanuva, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Lintastic

Lintastic Member

I find it ironic that you single out a 2012 join date and ou useth word bias.

1 person likes this.
  2. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

No problem if people criticize a players poor play, but it's not ok if a poster is here on this board to just contantly criticize a certain player's poor play.

3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

prejudice?

Let's make this simpler. If you are here only for Lin then you are prone to irrational bias (in his favor), similar to the way the rest of us have some degree of a Rockets 'homer' bias. It's natural.

Linsanity, trust me, the hater/OF back and forth you see here is NOTHING compared to what we saw during the Yao/Mcgrady era.

4. Lintastic

Lintastic Member

Same exact phenomena happens with Tebow..you got to wonder if the humble , religious angle of the palyer has something to do with it .....I can see hating on a team or a specific player who is usually great and kills your favorite team but to hate on a sincerely humble , undrafted , beat the odds guy who is helping the team is bizarre

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I've been a rockets fan since like 78. I was a reader on this board way before I joined. I can only speak for myself, its fine if you follow a player here from another team. My problem is when the same followers are so sensitive toward criticism of that player or try to seperate that player from the team. When yao ming came here, there was a guy named pryen who would post stuff about yao ming getting a haircut or taking a bubble bath. Again,its ok to be a fan of a player,I. Like a lot of players in the league through my love of hoops. The problem or percieved problem is when posters try to makethat guy bigger than the rockets franchise and that's not true.

I hope lin plays well,but when he doesn't,I'm not looking at his race or story when he doesn't play well. I'm looking at what he didn't do well in the scope of the game. Many old posters will say I'm consistent and fair even if you don't agree. Do I think the rockets signed lin for other than basketball reasons? Yes, I think both dragic and lowry are better players. Even with that being my opinion, I won't judge him against those players because its not like we can retrade and get those guys back. So hopefully he works hard,stays healthy,and help the rockets get back relevant in the nba as a team of force.

5 people like this.
  6. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Seriously, after Dragic turned down the Rockets offer and Lowry all but asked for a trade out, leaving the Rockets with zero PGs, if it was any other PG that Morey brought in that started the season averaging 16.5ppts, 7.5assists, 7 rebounds, 2 steals, shooting a respectable 51% TS%, 40% from 3, 90% from FT, averaging 5FTA/game, with an assist to turnover ratio of >2, and with an average +/- of 16, I would think the hate would not be here.

And the opposing PGs Brandon Knight and Jeff Teague went -12 and -10 respectively on +/-.

#106 mike_lu, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

1st off,this is a message board. If a poster has the opinion that a player is playing like a dog,then that's their opinion. I thought rafer and battier were pretty useless. I feel like yao and tracy mcgrady's best yeas were wasted with these dudes. I was very critical of those guys from abasketball perspective,but it was never personal.

1 person likes this.
  8. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Pryuen aka Yao's biggest FANBOY :grin:

9. choujie

choujie Member

Nothing new. Yao got that treatment too for whatever reason. Hopefully it becomes a motivation for Lin to get better.

10. bball_homer

bball_homer Member

it's pretty different from Tebow if you ask me. I used to be a huge Tebow fan, and one of those screaming for Tebow to start....and hence, how i became and still a Broncos fan :)

well, the difference here is that honestly....Tebow is a good person but I think he uses his personality and character as a brand if you ask me

i've been following Tebow for a while and it seems he feels the need to mention all the charity work and mention his good traits at each opportunity (kinda like his platform and I do feel he's a bit of an attention seeker...

like when Linsanity took off , Tebow mentioned something like "oh hey, me and Lin talk regularly" and i'm like wtf...u didn't have to say that...or like Tebow announced on twitter "i'm changing my dog's name from Broncos to Bronx" and i'm like wtf...

I don't mean to knock on Tebow but I just think they different ppl....Lin doesn't embrace the media attention so no one can accuse him of being an attention seeker....

11. Linsanity 2.0

Linsanity 2.0 Member

Aside from the obvious trolls, I don't have a problem with you believing that Dragic or Lowry is better than Lin. I believe the opposite, and I have facts to back up my beliefs, and I believe you have facts to back up your beliefs. I have not seen Dragic or Lowry play enough to know how good they are, but I have seen almost all of Lin's games since Linsanity. Having a different opinion isn't bad, but when the name calling starts, the debate has ended. I wasn't here during Yao's or T-Mac's time, but lets hope that this is a New Age for all Rocket fans, and we are all more level headed.

I have yet to see people get offended about criticisms of Lin. And if there's 1 or 2 LinMVPs in the mix, who cares, they are really stoked about a certain player. If the superfans want to post pics of players, just don't click on that thread.

12. Cadreaming

Cadreaming Member

I don't think Lin's religion has anything to do with it. No one makes fun of his religion here. But I've seen plenty of cases where his race and his fans' race have been made fun of or belittled. Here are some examples I saw:

1. Call him by an Angolized name "Lynn". Why? Is an Asian name not acceptable?

2. Constant accusing his fans as the same as YOFs and thus, Asian or not knowing basketball or having bad English. The truth is: The hostility toward Lin on this site has been duely noted by Lin fans in Asia and they are warning each other on Lin fan sites not to come here.

Most Lin fans here followed him from New York, not Asia. Most New York fans are very knowledgable fans. But Lin Haters conveniently ignore that fact because they can't have their racial baiting fun otherwise. If Lin fans are "overly sensitive", it's because we have all seen this type of prejudice against Lin before.

In addition, before anyone so quick to accuse Lin fans of being blindly loving Lin, think about this: If Lin is just an average PG (or a D Leaguer as Screaming Smith would have everyone believe), why do so many people love Lin so much? Why did New York Times send a reporter to Detroit to cover Lin on the first game? Maybe, maybe, Lin has quality that you don't know but we do. As admitted by some, most Rockets fans didn't watch his games last season.

3 people like this.
  13. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

They are different. Tebow was a big time college player coming into the NFL as a 1st round pick. Lin had to fight for everything he got. Most people probably didn't know who Lin was, not even the security guards.

14. Linsanity 2.0

Linsanity 2.0 Member

One last thing, we are all pulling for the Rockets to win. I am getting a little nervous about Portland on Saturday, because of the massive minutes Harden and Lin played tonight, I hope they don't run out of gas. In the end, when Rockets win, we are all in a better mood for it. I am pretty excited tonight, thus I'm posting more than I should.

15. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

That's good and tell them to not to bring in politics when it comes to the CHINA-TAIWAN-USA Man known as Jeremy Lin. That just makes matters worse. I couldn't imagine if that happened during the Yao days, all the Asian fans would be at each other's throats!

16. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

So yes, replying to myself here ... would you not say those that think Lin has played rather poorly, so far has been looking through colored glasses?

I mean, just look at the numbers above. And you can still tell Lin hasn't really found his stride/comfort levels yet, but he's finding ways to help the team win.

So the thread is, is Lin unfairly scrutinized for every mistake he has made, and that the positives he has brought to the team overlooked? I would think so. Don't agree? Just look at the stats again ...

17. Linsanity 2.0

Linsanity 2.0 Member

I'm shouting for Tebow to start in NY. Loved Tebowmania, and people who didn't see his games last year, will never know how exciting sports miracles can be (crazy season for the Broncos last year).

18. bball_homer

bball_homer Member

i haven't watched too much of Lowry and Dragic but while each have their strengths, the two of them are better than Lin by virtue of more experience.

Lin only played meaningful minutes in like 25 games so give him a chance to get better. I'm chinese and really do want him to thrive but I think you making it hard for him because by saying he's really good, you placing pretty unfair expectations.

I think and hope he can be an all-star but he needs a chance to get more experience first and improve in certain areas of his game.

19. Linsanity 2.0

Linsanity 2.0 Member

Good post, this is what I saw as well (bolded). This is the 21st century, and the racism by a small number of veteran Rocket fans is disgusting.

20. bball_homer

bball_homer Member

i doubt it help...it's obvious the coach will live and die by the incumbent QB, Sanchez but Tebow is clearly a bad thrower. He's not that bad of a QB but the media circus makes things really difficult.

I feel the media attention for someone of Tebow's current skill level is one reason why he isn't respected as a QB by the players (who voted him most overrated) and coaches alike.

Plus, towards the end, it got really fustrating Tebow throwing horribly, with tons of 3 and outs.