1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin's scrutiny

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kaitanuva, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

You cannot make an alley oop if after holding the ball you're oblige to give it to Harden. lol

But it looks like they are using him more and more as a pg. We'll see.

2. roxxy

roxxy Member

You can't make an alley oop unless you have a receiver. The only player who I think is fast enough & jumps high enough is Terrence. In those Knicks highlights Lin had guys like Landry Fields & Iman Shumpert & JR Smith all three were very fast both who could jump really high.

Also our team doesn't seem to really embrace running in my opinion. For full court alley oops passes guys have to really sprint. We don't do that consistently enough unfortunately. The only times we do really sprint is for bounce passes for lay ups. We have yet to put dunks off lob passes in our repertoire. I think by next year we will be seeing stuff like that as guys get more comfortable.

3. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

I remember in one of Lin's interview, he mentioned Harden him and Parsons sharing the play-making responsibilities so I guess it must be Sampson's plan to intentionally let Parsons to make some plays. I don't understand the reasons behind it and I agree with you that Harden and Lin should be more than enough to do play-making job.

Having said that, Parsons is not bad at play-making though. He is a good passer with high basketball IQ. He would be a perfect one to make plays if both Harden and Lin are heavily trapped like OKC did to them.

4. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

I think McHale said they wanted to push the ball, so basically who gets the rebound starts the fast break particularly Lin, Harden and Parsons. It was funny when Asik did that one time, Lin said in the post interview that he was thinking during that play that Asik should have gave him the ball, but it turned out ok so Lin was fine with it.

5. roxxy

roxxy Member

I think in the half court Parsons is a great playmaker. For example there are sometimes when it was Parsons & Tony Douglas sharing the playmaking duties & Harden & Lin are on the bench. But in transition Parsons doesn't have the vision that Harden & Lin do. Parsons has made tremendous strides this year & you reward great play with more responsibility & this is a development year so might as well let him try new stuff.

This is smart the purpose is likely to reward players who crash the boards. If you grab the rebound you get the ball in your hands. But if you are talking about alley oops you have to have great vision to be able to see the entire court & make the quick decision & also time the lob to perfection. I don't think parsons has that ability Harden & Lin do. And most importantly I don't think anybody on this team has that chemistry. Just a thought.

6. just a word

just a word Member

Am I totally imagining it, or was there some alley oop passes from Lin to Harden during the first two games? :confused:

7. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

We'll maybe it's about time to put it in the the repertoire. ;) It pumps up the crowd and it's a joy to watch.

Good night! :)

8. jocar

jocar Member

New to the sport of basketball I see. Keep on blaming every one else on this team including the coaches. Great post, rep!

9. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

New to basketabll my ass.

I've been watching basketabll since I was in high school. As a matter of fact I was and still am a diehard Jordan fan. My nephew has a full collection of Bulls games. We watched everything we could take from 1pm in the afternoon until about 1 am. Fun times.

You rockets fans are so judgemental to everyone who registered in 2012.

I am not blaming anyone, I tell it like it is.

10. MOFvsLOF

MOFvsLOF Member

Maybe you're looking at a troll ;).

11. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

It's because the team doesn't seem to be that crazy athletic. They are young and energetic, but not very many players are athletic enough to finish the alley oop other than Chandler, Harden, T Jones and possibly Greg Smith.

On the Knicks, they had a lot of athletic guys like Shump, Fields (who had at least 1 alley oop from Lin per game), JR. Probably some other guys who can do it too but I can't remember.

12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The reason we have no ally-oops in transition is because we have a defensive minded coach. Instead of telling our wings to leak out a la fields and shumpert, we tell them to crash the defensive boards. It lessens our transition opportunities, but makes us a better rebounding team. If we get a PF that is a beast on the boards, we can tell chandler and James to leak out for some of those highlight plays. While we are starting Patterson, this will never happen.

1 person likes this.
  13. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

^^ Good point.

By the way, I just finished watching the team highlights during the pre-season and the Magic game and TJones is the winner.

Alley oop from Machado to Jones almost at the end of the video, starting @6:00.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PkFUUSBPePI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. MOFvsLOF

MOFvsLOF Member

TROLLING

15. red32

red32 Member

Hmmm, Lin's shots, at least in this game, were a lot flatter...

16. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

Lin needs to perform consistently to ever win respect. Still has a long way to go. Hopefully he gets better as season goes on.

17. Gil

Gil Member

I don't think he has the mentality or skill to be a starter in the League. I think he would be a pretty good 6th man though.

18. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

He would be an excellent sixth man. But I think he'll be a pretty good starter, just raw right now.

19. adamzee

adamzee Member

any credibility you had left was gone when you claimed he couldn't palm/dunk the ball, jil.

20. Allegro

Allegro Member

Harden had an even worse game. Why don't I see a "Harden is a Joke" thread?