1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lineup Projections For Rest Of Season...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JAG, Jan 5, 2002.

1. JAG

JAG Member

One aspect, at least, to the finality of the Rice situation, is that we now essentially have our entire roster, intact, for the remainder of the year ( Mo Taylor coming back early is still not to be counted on...). As such, I think we should examine how we should set up the team for the remainder of the season...I see it as follows;

Starting Lineup

C) Cato
    PF) Griffin
    SF) Morris
    SG) Mobley
    PG) Francis

Key Reserves

C) Willis
    PF/SF) Thomas
    SG/SF) Torres
    Swing) Williams
    PG) Norris

My reasons for this choice are as follows...

1) My priority is still developing this team to the point of legit contender, not winning 5 or 6 extra games this year. That said, the development of our future is the focus of the remainder of the season, and Griffin and Morris represent part of that future, or, if not ( Morris) we need a substantial amount of pt to find out...

2) Morris vs. Thomas: While I agree that Thomas has played quite well, and that he does mix well with Griffin, I feel that Morris is potentially a better all around player, and adds more as a starter than as a reserve. He's never going to be an instant offense kind of guy, but will play D, pass, rebound, ect. without demanding the ball. This is important, as with Francis, Mobley, and now Griffin in the starting 5, having another player who needs the ball to be effective would be unnecessary, and moreover, unwarrented. What is more, I feel that Thomas CAN provide instant offense off the bench, and having that kind of player is important.

3) Cato starting....What value he has will be eliminated if he's benched, and, WHEN he plays, he provides exactly what this lineup needs, defense, rebounding, and no need for the ball...Willis, like Thomas, can be better used when an injection of offense is needed.

4) Mobley vs. Torres...This is the closest call, in my opinion. NOT that Torres is in the same league, as a player, as Mobley is yet, but Mobley is, in some ways, the ideal 6th man....However, I feel that he is too important to remove from the starting lineup, and with the kiddie corps forwards, another veteran in the first 5 is helpfull...If, however, we were to start Thomas over Morris, I would seriously consider flipping thse two...as is, Torres might develop into a 6th man along the same lines...

All told, I feel that this is the way to go for the rest of the season, and I would appreciate anyone's opinion on the matter. I know that there are players I haven't mentioned, but these are the guys I would ride the rest of the way...Trades, while possible, are probably a longshot, and anyways can't be accounted for yet.

#1 JAG, Jan 5, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2002
  2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Jag , I agree with you totally. I think the lineup you put out there is for the betterment, is that a word?, for the team. I think Torres should get time 12min behind Mobley and 12 min behind Morris. I think Thomas should get 12 min behind Griffin and when you move Eddie to center sometimes he can pick up minutes there too. I think Mooch should play his 12 or 15 behind francis. Francis shouldn't play anymore 2 nor should Mobley play anymore 3. Williams and Collier are out the question and maybe you could find Collier or Willis some time behind the pathetic Cato. It would be very interesting , but not giving up on the season. We need to be realistic though.

3. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

JAG - I agree that's the lineup I would love to see start but seeing how rudy works I think:

C - Cato \ season avg. mins 22
    PF - Thomas \ 32
    SF - WIlliams \ 24
    SG - Mobley \ 40
    PG - Francis \ 39

Bench

C - WIllis \ 18 (mins go down)
    PF - Griffin \ 27 (32 mins rest of the way)
    SF - Morris \ 14
    SG - Torres \ 22
    PG - Norris \ 24 (mins go down)

I would love to see this next year:

C - Griffin - 6-10
    PF - Taylor - 6-9
    SF - Morris - 6-9
    SG - Mobley - 6-4
    PG - Francis - 6-3

4. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

We need to trade Kelvin. We have to face it. He is not talented. Definitely not starter-talented. This will probably be our lineup next year:

C Fast $Eddie
    PF Draft pick
    SF Tmo or Oz
    SG Mobes
    PG Wink

Please trade Kenny. He is too inconsistant and too short!