1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[LINA] Harris County Coronvirus Response

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

My bad. I've only been reading D&D threads very sporadically, and mostly skimming. So I hadn't seen it.

Astrodome likes this.
  2. Batman Jones

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Yup. Contrast that with other states where the governors just stepped up early, declared statewide shelter in place orders and left the counties and cities out of it.

Where I live, the only things the cities did was announce some police enforcement of statewide rules. I think the only city government announcements were around plans to deploy cops in strategic locations to deter large groups of people from congregating.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

We need to flatten the rate of infection... that means everyone needs to avoid social content and risk of transmission.If some stay in while others go out, that extends the curve. Wwe just lengthen the amount of time it will take, delay the recovery even more.

jcf, Nook and Batman Jones like this.
  5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Do you suggest we lock it down to a bigger degree than what we had a few weeks ago?

6. NewRoxFan

I would extend the previous "lock down" to at least the time that the number of cases are not going up as they are now. You know, one of the important guidelines for reducing the "lock down".

1,000 new COVID-19 cases confirmed in Texas; death toll nears 950
    https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/N...n-Texas-area-toll-holds-steady-570177541.html

COVID-19 Live Updates: Cases Continue To Climb In Dallas And Tarrant Counties
    https://www.keranews.org/post/covid-19-live-updates-cases-continue-climb-dallas-and-tarrant-counties

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Hmm nba should prob hold off on using Texas as a reopening site.

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

File this one under the "Captain Obvious" category. If you open up the economy, more people will be infected and die. I don't think that is some kind of secret that the people in charge are hiding.

I do tend to agree that the initial reason for quarantine was so our hospitals were not overrun and had time to prepare. I'm not sure it's possible to be 100% virus free even if a vaccine is eventually developed ("you can't make me take your austim shot!"). The stay-at-home has allowed Houston area hospitals to staff up on supplies and put emergency contingencies in place.

I have no idea when the "right" time would be to lift the stay-at-home. I'm not sure there really is one, which I guess is why the decision is so polarizing with people. Tough spot for anyone in charge to be in - county judge, governor, president.

9. NewRoxFan

Hmm...

Amiga and Nook like this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lina is Colombian!

IBTL and pgabriel like this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Why aren't other cities following Abbot's order? Mixed messages?

12. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I would suggest we TEST...

The problem is we don't know has it and who doesn't. Right now the only way to get tested is to have symptoms...

I have no problem with them opening up, but TEST....

T_Man

13. Batman Jones

The president himself told us when the right time to reopen was, by providing standards to be met before reopening. And then, the very next day, he encouraged states--none of which had met more than one of his own standards for reopening--to reopen.

It's no wonder some are confused. I know the president is spreading conflicting and misleading information, to be as generous as possible. Maybe I'm a little less confused because I know not to listen to anything he says.

If one listens to what one board member called "the experts lol," the picture is much clearer and much more alarming, particularly because states including Texas have reopened well before it's at all safe to do so.

The president has suggested a few times now, in different ways, that this will "magically go away." The first time he said that, he said it would magically go away in April. Stop listening to him and you'll be less confused.

14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Opening salons and gyms with our numbers over 1000 a day is a stupid and unnecessary risk.

Our Governor is recklessly going to make this situation worse.

CometsWin, Batman Jones and DVauthrin like this.
  15. Batman Jones

16. Invisible Fan

People would rather follow a two faced loser and mis-misunderstand the guy than do the harder more responsible thing.

The Enemy wants to take away your fun and freedoms! Cover your ears!

Well golly shucks. We did the best we could with what we knew. Don't look at me....

Batman Jones likes this.
  17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

...except I'm not a Trump supporter. I didn't defend anything Trump has said/done; he's an idiot. I just don't think this is a simple solution answer -- that's all I was trying to convey.

18. Batman Jones

I didn't really mean to insinuate you were, though I really didn't know (I've been gone from D&D for so long). Anyway, apologies for that.

I was mostly responding to your statement that one can't know the "right" time for easing restrictions. I think Trump's own standards get us pretty close to knowing the right time. What we can know for certain is that now is not the right time, nor will it be anytime soon.

I was also partly responding to the idea that this is a tough time for the president. It should be a tough time for the president and I think it would be for any other president. But this president has no empathy so I think he's probably sleeping great at night.

19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

at the very least downward trend of cases, capacity to test anyone, capacity to contact trace, capacity to confine serious patients, enforce mask and social distancing policies.

Batman Jones likes this.
  20. Roscoe Arbuckle