1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[LINA] Harris County Coronvirus Response

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Apr 23, 2020.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are going to be a lot of zebra faced people if they work in the sun all day. I'm thinking of construction workers, landscapers and gardeners, road workers, roofers, plant and oilfield workers, park rangers, and anyone else working for hours in the sun each day.

The lines could be fuzzy though on what is considered public space and on exercise. I mean, if anyone is walking anywhere couldn't it be considered exercise? If a guy is working on a compressor out in a field is he required to wear a mask? Do the rules change if people work in groups or work alone? Are there exceptions if the area not frequented by the public, or is it plain and simply anywhere outside of your home?

Am I required to wear a mask to launch a kayak, then able to take it off on the water? Parks can be tricky with the rule, especially on what is considered exercise.

#41 deb4rockets, Apr 24, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  2. Fantasma Negro

She's awesome, really been Impressed with her temperament

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Same with the pop up hospitals and hospital ships in LA/NY.
    "Better to be safe than sorry!"

"Our hospitals are being overrun! We're all gonna die! Fear monger! Fear monger! Fear monger!"
    "This place & that place is the next Italy! We're all gonna die!"
    Only report on deaths! Not the recoveries.

Hospitals aren't being overrun or near capacity.
    Just so overwhelmed they're making TikTok videos, some being furloughed/laid off.

[​IMG]

In Michigan, one of the areas hit hardest by the outbreak, Beaumont Health announced that it would lay off at least 300 workers at a Detroit-area hospital while the Detroit Medical Center furloughed about 480 employees.

The Medical University of South Carolina is laying off about 900 workers and asking full-time staff to take a 15% pay cut, according to the Charleston Post & Courier. Mercy Health, the largest medical system in Ohio, is temporarily cutting 700 workers, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. Essentia Health, a top medical provider in Minnesota, is laying off 500 workers, according to the Duluth News Tribune. Two hospital systems in West Virginia will furlough about 1,000 workers, according to the Associated Press. The biggest health system in eastern Kentucky is cutting 500 workers, according to the Lexington Herald-Leader.

USNS Comfort hospital ship to leave NYC by May

The USNS Comfort will pull up anchor by the end of the month after spending more than three weeks in New York City’s harbor with the majority of its hospital beds empty during the coronavirus pandemic, Pentagon officials confirmed Friday.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/mercy-sending-sailors-ashore-coronavirus

So far the ship has taken on board and treated 54 non-COVID patients, and will continue with that primary mission, Lt. Andrew Bertucci, a spokesman for the Mercy, said Friday, April 17. Forty patients were released as of Friday.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

She did try to increase the County's tax rate before the state legislation capped it at 3.5% max. It was a pretty shitty money grab, IMO and I applaud the two commissioners who 'no showed' to block the move. https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/...lly-block-tax-hike-by-missing-courts-meeting/

I've been to one commissioner's court meeting and it was shocking at how much bickering was going on between the parties. She seemed to defer to staff or Garcia.

As for the mask deal... I don't think much of it. Error on the side of caution, I say. All of the #fakeoutrage is just politics, IMO. She's taking a ton of heat for it and it might hurt her politically, which I suppose is the purpose of what appears to be a coordinated attack. I don't want to wear a mask. I also don't want to catch the 'VID. I'm more pissed that I can't get a cool narco mask in before Monday.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Draconian!

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Glad there's so much good news from cities like Detroit and Houston.

I don't know how people expect their local governments, however, to create just exactly the right amount of medical preparation. We know when you get too little (Italy, New York City), you end up making horrible life and death choices with limited resources.

When you're over-prepared? [wait for it...] It doesn't kill anybody. It just means you take apart a field hospital or redeploy your workforce appropriately.

ElPigto, Ottomaton, Astrodome and 3 others like this.
  8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If we hit a spike after THEIR RALLY
    expect them to blame her for it

Rocket River

glynch likes this.
  9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

all 20 could get it and give it to 2 people each and not do ****.

10. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

I was under impression that most layoffs in the industry were related to elective procedures which have been put on hold. I don't have time right now to read all this but I'll look into it later. That said, all this tells me is that social distancing has been working better than anyone anticipated. Now let's see what happens if everyone let's their gaurd down, which is what I think will happen.

astros123 and B-Bob like this.
  11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That’s correct. There’s less work for hospitals outside of COVID because people aren’t out getting injured and elective surgeries have been postponed.

And the dumbassery it takes to not put 2+2 together and conclude that the stay-at-home orders are why the numbers are down is just astounding.

ElPigto and dmoneybangbang like this.
  12. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Well, Abbott pulled the rug out from under Hidalgo and Turner. One thing is for sure. Either side will be throwing an "I told you so" whichever way it goes.

Astrodome likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

THANK YOU! @Os Trigonum has been slacking, and I needed some way to get my Federalist article jones filled.

We're all still counting on you.

dobro1229 likes this.
  14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Friendly reminder that 50,000 Americans have died in just a month and there’s recent evidence that this virus continues to uncover new tricks like affecting your blood causing strokes and how it’s staying in your nasal cavity for 21 days now instead of the believed 14.

Overreacting and over preparing my hometown of Houston is the right move every time with Covid. One of my friends already lost their grandmother and another of my friends mom is basically on life support.

You guys don’t want Houston becoming a hot spot for this b**** of a disease. Abbott is basically banking on Texans and business owners not being foolish. Based on what I know about the Trumpers here I don’t have a ton of faith but we’ll see.

VanityHalfBlack and astros123 like this.
  15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

There are many people who arent trumpers or bideners in this country. It will be up to everybody to practice social distance as we open back up. I really think the greater houston area will lead this charge.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I’m sure Houston will be much better than what I’m seeing up here in DFW! Not shocking though to see a drop in IQ when you drive north on I45.

And while I agree with your initial sentiment I absolutely am seeing evidence that politics mixed with lack of intelligence is playing a role but might just be my personal experience. Like the other day we had a door dasher show up when we were in our garage hanging out and he was wearing no face mask, got up in my face (friendly manner), touched my kid, slow to leave, etc. and all over his Truck had stickers for Trump/don’t tread/Calvin peeing on Hillary etc. Then there are the protestors, etc.

So while I’d like to think everyone will be smart regardless of politics my personal experience so far hasn’t made me too hopeful, but maybe it’s just that where I’m at where intelligence seems to be in low supply in a number of different areas.

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My recent experience around town is that about 90% of people are great, but about 10% of people simply don't care about masks or social distancing or anything that gets in the way of their convenience, and once the state is opened back up, they'll think it is officially over and done and they need to care even less.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Watching her presser on FB just now and seeing the live comments reminds me that no matter how progressive a city Houston is, there's still a bunch of racist assholes in this area.

19. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Turner identified the at risk communities in yesterday's presser after Abbott's presser.
    • The elderly
    • The impoverished
    • Those already having compromised immune systems
    But he left out
    • The Ignorant

dobro1229 likes this.
  20. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I don't do FB and didn't catch the presser. What were the comments about... Her being Hispanic? On second thought...never mind. We don't want to open up a race thread. I don't agree with her politics, but I don't see how her being Hispanic or a woman makes her less qualified than a white male, who I assume would be making the comments behind their screens.