1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin worth a first round pick? A lottery pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by haydenfisher342, Apr 16, 2014.

1. MichaelG281713

Les is such an a**hole for making us deal with this.

Just trade the man already and shut these clowns up. He'll be out of the league when his contract is up anyways. Unless he grows tall enough to be a legit SG. Dude proved he doesn't even have the handles to be a backup PG in the NBA.

It's obvious this thread was made by somebody who needs attention. It's sad. There's so many beautiful women on the planet...you should be after their attention. I don't get it.

2. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

maybe for a future, with protection.

As for finding a taker, it's not that hard. THe Bulls basically gave away Luol Deng just to take Andrew Bynum so they could cut him.

Expiring contracts are valuable.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Lol. The Lakers may take Lin, but they ain't giving us anything of value for him (other than cap space). We'll be lucky if we don't have to include a draft pick just to get his salary off our books. Very disappointing back to back seasons. Very inconsistant and injury prone. Very over-paid. Seems to make poor decisions in the clutch. Think his future is at the off-guard position.

The Houston Linsanity experiment was a dud.

Can't wait for the exodus of LOFs. Counting the minutes actually.

#303 Aruba77, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

So take that Asik first round pick and package it to trade away Lin for nothing.

5. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree. Rockets would have to throw in a sweetener like a future draft pick or something to move Lin and his bloated contract. Productive big men don't grow on trees and are fairly easy to move like Asik, but moving Lin is going to be a bit more problematic and costly.

6. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

No idea what your watching, to you all Rocket pgs are garbage. Like how Lowry, Dragic, even AB gets kicked out and go all star in a team that utilizes a pg. You think.CP3 will be any good on the Rockets standing in the corner waiting for the ball. Lins possession of ball has gone down exponentially since Linsanity tines so obviously his production will go down.T

7. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I know you are probably a bitter Lin fan - but I don't believe we need to package that pick to get rid of Lin. He still brings excitement to a team and a lot of marketability. Hopefully one or two 2nd rounders will be enough, or our own first rounder. And by the way: I like Lin and think he can be a good player on a good team - but he hurt his stock a lot last leason. I will miss him for his cold blooded 3s and great drives to the basket - I won't miss his diehard fans...

8. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

What about Lin and Parsons to Golden State? Theres been a lot of rumors on Lin and Parsons as a package deal. I think that would be great as it improves the GSWs depth and they have a better shooter and passer in Parsons.

9. sammo

sammo Member

man, such hate for lin.

poor dude will never live down the fact he was not able to replicate linsanity.

and the contract with the rockets made him so undesirable in the league.

not a fan or hater, but i do feel bad for the dude who is getting flamedd around when he really did try his best to do everything the team asked him to do. he did step up every time the beard was out, but all that got negated by the dollars involving his contract.

10. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Why would we trade Parsons?

That's an idiotic trade.

:eek:

11. Aruba77

Must spread rep around before giving it to LikeMike again. You're killin' it!

The thing is that there are a lot of real rockets fans that like Lin and have rooted for his success all along. What's not to like? He's a great person, a great teammate, and a hard worker.

But the LOF plague certainly didn't do the guy any favors.

I for one, wish him well and hope he can continue to improve. But I won't miss him. I'm too resentful of having our choice of two of the top 7 pgs in the league (Dragic and Lowry) and ending up with a guy who's not even in the top 25 (for more money btw), just because Les remembered he was a New Yorker and drank the cool aid. Oh...and also butts in seats ;)

Splash!

#311 Aruba77, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  12. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/stor...s?ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_BroussardLeBronplaces

Lin and Parsons for Klay? Would get rid of Lin and allow cap space for LBJ or Melo.

13. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Lin's expiring won't be that valuable to who ever we trade him to though because we need to trade him to a team that already has enough cap space to absorb him without giving anything back. A team that already has cap space doesn't need to trade for an expiring.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have to give picks to get rid of his contract without getting anything salary back.

14. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

We are trying to clear cap, so we can offer a max contract.

Parsons > Thompson

15. Aruba77

Klay Thompson will be a star and is on par with Parsons IMHO. But Harden plays his position.

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Phili will most likely take Lin's contract. This is why Morey was confident in getting Lin's and Asik contracts off loaded...

17. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

Same reason the Rockets declined the option. His future here is still uncertain.

18. torocan

torocan Member

The other scenario where Lin's contract holds significant value is a team that's deep in the luxury tax, where taking on Lin's salary while sending out a higher salary actually saves them money due to the luxury tax multiplier penalty.

For example

...if you send out Lin at $8.3M and you're at the $2.50 tax multiplier level, then you're paying $8.3M at normal tax rate, but the remaining $6.7M is untaxed. If the player you receive is earning $10.3M (falls within 125% rule), then that last $2M is taxed at $2.50, or $2M for salary + $5M in salary tax. IE, you save $300k. And if your tax rate is higher (like $3.00 or $3.50) or you're in jeopardy of falling into the repeater tax, or you need to get under the Tax Apron to enable you to use the full S&T, then taking on Lin's salary can actually be a net savings.

That's aside from the built in value as an expiring of course.

IE, the value is very situational.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

All of those rumors are coming from GSW. It's almost as if they are mocking Daryl Morey, "Sure, we will take Lin. All you have to do is toss in Parsons!"

20. Goat Herders

Goat Herders Member

I get dumber every time I come to this board.