1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Lin without a ball dominant teammate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Panda23, Jan 29, 2014.

1. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Didn't take anything out of context. The problem with your argument is you're attempting to lump his post-Linsanity popularity and his unconventional path to the NBA together. His contract or his popularity now has no effect on the challenges he faced to get there.

This is where you went wrong.

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

You are clearly missing the point or being obtuse on purpose. You cannot dismiss racism when it may or may not have hurt him initially yet welcome it when it makes him famous and rich, and then turn around when things are going down for him again and accuse coaches, players, and management of being racist. Racism is racism. You either take the bad and the good or dismiss it all together, in which case would affect Linsanity and all his juicy sponsorships.

I didn't get anything wrong, you are just twist my post to try and support YOUR argument.

3. krnxsnoopy

However, even for some college coaches who liked Lin’s game enough to speak with him about playing for them, the notion of seriously pursuing him was not a consideration. No Division I program offered Lin an athletic scholarship — the Ivy League does not give them — but he discussed walking on at Stanford, California or U.C.L.A. with the coaches there.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/13/s...asing-a-history-of-being-overlooked.html?_r=0

Only Harvard offered him a spot on the roster. A chance to walk-on: no scholarship, no guaranteed spot is not the same thing.

He wanted to continue playing basketball. So he took the sure thing.

Your generalization of hardship is narrow and specific to economic factors, as is your definition of racism. What you don't see is that discrimination comes in many forms in different arenas of society, and what happened to Lin is indicative of that. The fact of the matter is, Lin nearly had to give up playing basketball where players of similar resumes had teams lining up offering scholarships.

Lin was a noted high school player — he led Palo Alto High School to the California state championship and won a number of state awards. But Stanford in his own back yard didn’t offer him a scholarship, nor did UCLA, Oregon or any other Pac-12 school. Lin had the grades, SATs and resume to get into Harvard, so he went East.
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....n-hurt-college-basketball-scholarship-offers/

Also, no one is saying Lin is experiencing the same racism from fans and teammates Jackie Robinson did in his day. The similarity I see, and it was well articulated by a poster in the other thread, is they are similar figures symbolically, and there's nothing wrong with that. However, the Jackie Robinson story is not the arbitrary threshold for what constitutes as racism or discrimination.

4. wompwomp

wompwomp Member

Where was it ever proven that Lin was not offered a scholarship because he was Asian.

how would you even begin to prove that? How do you prove a black dude cant get a cab cause he is black? How do you prove a woman didnt get a job because she is a woman? How do you prove that race and gender was not involved when there have only been six black woman casted on SNL in the history of the show? How do you prove institutionalized racism and sexism on an individualized basis?

Just a quick google search pulls up a quote from the ucla assistant who said in hindesight lin would have been the starting pg of ucla. Now I am sure there was no secret conference call from every college team agreeing to keep the "china man" down, but there is a huge disconnect between starting pg for ucla to not one single scholarship from any colleges in the country.

And like i said before, this is a country built on racism. A country that cant even let a mexican american kid sing the national anthem or an indian american woman be miss america without making it racial. But somehow you dont expect some vitriol to come his way when this lone asian kid goes into a hostile team arena and is constantly the best player. But to you it aint no thing for a teenage bball player to go thru that because well atleast it wasnt a riot. Times have changed, the days of overt racism has melded into subtle jabs umbrella-ing as jokes and sarcasm and "why you so sensitive".

I am not touching all that jackie robinson ish tho.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Can we lock this stupid ****ing thread?

I can't take this **** anymore.

6. langal

langal Contributing Member

Anyone who thinks Lin being Asian had no influence on his amateur career is completely wrong.

7. krnxsnoopy

You see that's where your logic fails. In the real world there's this thing called a sequence of events. The ends don't necessarily justify the means. Because Jeremy is basking in his money and fame now, doesn't make it acceptable if he was actually overlooked because he didn't look the part (skin color). This was unfair to Jeremy and also is unfair to future generations. I call it how it is. I've said before I think its natural for fans to root for players from their own country or players of similar ethnic background (Dirk and Yao Ming). Does this mean I have to accept discrimination and prejudice? I don't know about you but I don't think discrimination and prejudice is normal and should be quietly accepted as a part of life. I do think rooting for your countryman or people who are similar to you, whether it is religion, ethnicity, or any common interest, is a normal part of life.

8. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Sequence of events do not matter for discrimination and racism and I never said it was acceptable. What I am saying is that you cannot embrace racism when it turns out to be beneficial to you and then reject it when it's not. You either fight against racism/discrimination no matter if the outcome is positive or not or you accept the good with the bad. LoF's only cry foul for racism when it is AGAINST Lin. When it helps him out, they could care less about equality. That was what my argument was, the double standard LoF's have for racism when it concerns Lin. They only care about things like racism when it negatively affects Lin, despite the fact that he has benefitted much more from racism than he has suffered from it.

9. wompwomp

wompwomp Member

that is alot of assumptions you are making. You are holding these ridiculous standard for this imaginary group of people that i am not even sure you believe in. Should Obama give back all the black votes? Should Eminem give back all the sales he makes from white people? If they don't, does that disqualified them from talking about how race politics affects them?

10. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I am done with this circular argument. My point is simple, racism has helped Lin in the NBA much more than it has hurt him. If LoF's want to complain about their perceived racism, they also have to accept that it is responsible for Linsanity and where he is today and all the sponsorships he received from overseas. You can either have racism or equality. Don't just cry about it when you feel like it affects Lin negatively.

11. wompwomp

wompwomp Member

...in conclusion, we have a black president and racism is over.

12. krnxsnoopy

Good

I agree with this principle. But relevance? I don't see how Lin benefited from "racism".

Examples?

How exactly did Lin benefit from racism? Having asian or asian-american fan support is racism? If there was an American Messi playing over at Real Madrid or Barcelona, you can be sure there'd be a ton of American fans wearing his jersey.

Now if this American Messi had a stellar youth career at one of the premier European youth academies, and no European clubs wanted to sign him because there never was an American THAT GOOD before, so he had to go to the MLS, that would be discrimination(racism).

One is racism, the other is not.

13. krnxsnoopy

Because you don't make sense.

14. krnxsnoopy

Lol. Yeah since Barack Obama became president he can't complain about any prejudice and discrimination he faced in his life.

Since Jeremy Lin has the monies and the hotties, LOF's you guys can't complain either.

15. torocan

torocan Member

I think you are conflating racial bias and discrimination.

Racial bias is something that can't be avoided. We are genetically hardwired to identify more with those that are "similar" to ourselves than those that are not as "similar" to ourselves.

That is a very different thing than discrimination, which is to create obstacles and impediments to an individual or group of individuals due to a perceived difference such as sex, religion or race.

Is it okay to "like" someone more because they are similar? Or dislike someone because they are dissimilar? Yes. People are free to like or dislike whoever they wish. It is not only natural but inevitable. For example some guys prefer asian girls, others prefer black girls, white girls, etc. None of those choices are inherently wrong in and of themselves.

However, is it okay to make judgements about a human being JUST because they are similar or dissimilar? No. It is inherently unfair to another human being to ascribe a personal trait to them based solely upon similarities and dissimilarities. Assuming blondes are dumb is wrong. Assuming blacks are bad at math is wrong. Assuming white guys can't dance is wrong. Assuming asians can't play sports is wrong. Assuming women can't learn mechanical skills is wrong. And so on and so forth.

This is where the problem lies, not so much that people choose to identify or not identify with Lin on the basis of his ethnicity, but that people have in the past judged him solely upon his appearance and ethnicity. At a minimum the fans at many of his games during his high school and college career. On the larger spectrum, we may never know how much it impacted his ability to pursue the career that he desired.

What you are arguing is that because Lin benefits to some degree from racial bias (similarity of ethnicity to people in Asia), that it is a trade off for the discrimination he has suffered in the past.

And that is a fundamentally flawed argument.

The process of discrimination in itself is issue, and that should not be accepted or glossed over in any context. And it is completely irrelevant to whether he has personally gained or lost because others like or dislike him.

2 people like this.
  16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's truly amazing to see some of the things being typed by these dudes. Cringe-worthy stuff, really.

17. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Chandler Parsons is my favorite player. Because he's white. Like me. I like him more than Lin and Harden, who are not white.
    I'm not serious, by the way. Harden is my favorite player. I'd drive Parsons to the airport if we traded him for.... Kevin Love.

18. TheJet

TheJet Member

About eight hours ago I tried to warn those folks who were headed down the Robinson path. I've seen and heard versions of that argument time and time again. It never ends well. Que, sera, sera.

19. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Way to completely hijack and derail a well-thought and well-put thread.

If some of you did this on purpose, you succeeded.

You guys should continue in D & D.

20. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Even kenny smith gives the man more dues than people around here