1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin without a ball dominant teammate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Panda23, Jan 29, 2014.

1. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Just let it go man. It was a horrible analogy to prove your point. You are comparing the hardness of a diamond to a boiled egg and calling it analogous.

2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

This is the point of argument.

3. krnxsnoopy

You're just narrow minded and can't see the context of the bigger conversation. So focused on the Jackie Robinson point, when that wasn't even the main point.

4. ptealixpaint

ptealixpaint Member

Obama would not be president if he was not black, and probably would never had had the chance if he wasn't black, so I don't totally agree with your analogy.

And for Yao... he is way less polarizing because he was actually a good basketball player who got cut down in his prime, despite injuries. We had a chance to go all the way before he went down in 2009.

Lin is a scrub that is talked about way more than he deserves "because he's asian and discrimination boo hoo."

5. krnxsnoopy

Unfortunately there is no affirmative action in the NBA to support your claim. You don't get a NBA contract on race alone. Sorry.

6. Stats

Stats Member

I don't get why comparing the pioneering aspect of Lin's rise on the basketball scene to Robinson's somehow diminishes Robinson? Aren't both looked to as sources of inspiration? I'm actually seeing a lot of this comparison in articles across the web?

Here's a link to a very well-argued article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20131127/sports-in-america-pioneers/

7. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

No, I'm acutely aware of what "analogous" means. The two are not remotely comparable. Tiger Woods, OK. Venus and Serena, OK. I'll give you that. But Jackie Robinson? Sorry, I just cannot get behind that comparison. It totally trivializes what Robinson and those of his ilk endured, IMO.

We can certainly agree to disagree.

8. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

I am not asian, so I am ignorant to the pride that he has given to some; and maybe that's the problem.

As for the article, I enjoyed the read.

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Looks like someone doesn't read very well. I did not discount his handwork during that 2 week span on the premise of "racism" but how it blew up afterwards and the sponsorships that came with it. If Lin was anything but Asian, none of that would have happened. He would have been just another player that flashed. Racism presenting opportunities that would not have otherwise existed does not dismiss the handwork that he put in, but Lin is not the only underdog story who worked hard. Point is, race is what made Linsanity big outside of NYC. Race is what got him all those sponsorships.

10. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Perhaps that is the case. Explain to me the racial obstacles that Lin has overcome. You make it seem as if the NBA is not an integrated sport. Just look at the diversity from our team alone. (This is in context to what you highlighted from Stats)

11. Fighton

Fighton Member

Hahaha... It's actually Jason Whitlock.

And guess who made this joke after Jeremy's 38 points against the lakers "some lady is gonna get few inches of hurt tonight"? Yup, the same Jason "look I'm black and I'm a victim" Whitlock.

Jason Whitlock, jesses Jackson, al sharpton, all pure hypocritical racist scums.

12. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Just saw the reason for you bringing up Robinson in the first place. Didn't realize you were coaxed into the comparison.

13. Stats

Stats Member

Yeah I kinda allowed myself to fall for it and didn't realize it was such a tinderbox. :( I was actually making a very different argument.

I think you are correct in pointing out that Lin has a far greater emotional resonance to Asian Americans, perhaps equivalent to Robinson for African Americans. That was where I meant to take the analogy, but it somehow ended up about being a competition on degree of racism endured instead.

And now there's a random vote on it! What have I done lol!

14. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Stats, if your point was that the two of them similarly inspired people who were unaccustomed to seeing someone who looked like them in a certain professional sport -- then I misunderstood and apologize. There are several Lin fans here who have tried relentlessly to draw a comparison between the struggles/obstacles the two have faced, and that is what I find grossly offensive.

15. Nanisteru

Nanisteru Rookie

It's okay. Just be the bigger man and let it go. Some people will just read the reactionary posts taken out of the context of the discussion and not consider what you actually said. It had all to do with inspiration to a group of people not about the racial hardships endured.

16. chenjy9

Supporting Member

That was NOT the original argument at all. That was simply his take on it. The original argument was that Lin had to overcome more hardship than anyone and all this racism, which totally ignored the fact that race is largely responsible for much of Lin's global success.

17. krnxsnoopy

It is true Lin's race contributed to his marketability and mainstream appeal after joining the NBA, particularly internationally in Asia, but that's a given.

Dirk is popular in Germany for the same reason, as was with Yao in China. This was also seen in the increased interest in golf and tennis by blacks after Tiger Woods and Serena. Sure, they reached the pinnacle of their respective sports in golf and tennis, which Lin did not accomplish. What also was different is the path each took to become professional athletes in their sports. So it's a bit apples to oranges.

Let's compare apples to apples. Name another California high school state player of the year who didn't get a single D1 scholarship? Name another player in the NBA that wasn't offered a D1 scholarship? About 1% of D1 players play professionally, and even less play in the NBA. It's evident Lin's path to the NBA was unconventional to say the least. Which goes back to your original assertion that Linsanity happened primarily due to race, when there were many other factors that contributed to his appeal and the story of Linsanity.

Correlation is not causation but enlighten me by giving me an alternative that prejudice didn't play a factor in Lin unable to land a single D1 scholarship and had to play at Harvard (not known for its basketball) paying out of pocket in order to further his dream of possibly playing basketball professionally? Examples of other instances players of resumes that were similarly overlooked would help. Tell me how this isn't overcoming major obstacles for making it into the NBA?

Please see above.

18. krnxsnoopy

Two separate things.

19. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Where was it ever proven that Lin was not offered a scholarship because he was Asian. With limited scholarship opportunities from big name basketball schools, they are going for the biggest names, the 5-star athletes which I have never considered Lin to be and I highly doubt any college program would either. He could have easily participated and competed in the walk-ons offered by PAC-10 schools to get into a program known for basketball, but chose to go to Harvard. You act as if schools told him "No, we don't want you because you are Asian American." Schools didn't offer him scholarships, simply because there were better fish in the ocean as far as they were concerned. Hell, even Harvard's coach was initially very unimpressed even after seeing him in action.

Hardships and racism are completely different from running into and overcoming challenges and obstacles. EVERYONE runs into those through the course of life. Lin has not had hardships. He has not had situations that caused severe suffering, pain, or loss. People did not line up to boycott him in the NBA. People did not throw stuff at him or refuse to play him because of his ethnicity. People did not riot because of him or send him death threats for playing basketball. To try to argue against that is utter stupidity as far as I am concerned. Lin earned his way into the NBA, but don't act like its some tale of overcoming hardships and racism, because that is just bull****. I will say that Lin probably had to deal with ignorance and stereotypes, like any other Asian American, but to try to make his journey into a sob story overcoming hardships and racism is just dumb.

20. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I noticed you conveniently left out the racism part to try and twist my words to your purposes. Good job!