1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin tried to call a play, Harden ignored it

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bob718, Nov 8, 2013.

1. howo13579

howo13579 Member

who played Kentucky? Rockets?

2. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Finally! someone who understood!

3. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Don't be such a LOF!!!!!!!

Oh wait...... nevermind, carry on.... :grin:

4. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

Lin ran 1-4 pnr but he was hedged hard. If Harden's guy sagged off him he should've dished to Harden but Harden's guy stayed on him so he passed back out to Parsons. Harden's spacing sucked btw, he should've been closer to the corner.

Parsons was open for 3 but instead of shooting he decided to attack. Looked like he was trying to get the ball to Beverley. Good read by Nash.

It's all their fault. Harden's spacing sucked, Lin's pass back out was slow, and Parsons should've taken the shot.

5. Apache

Apache Member

6. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I agree, Mchales switching point guards around is just stupid. Beverley is a very good backup point guard but he isn't a starter. You especially don't want him to start when you are playing the twin towers.

This clip though tells you nothing.

7. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Meh. Lin may have wanted them to change sides, but there is no corner either of them is supposed to be in.

If Lin makes a better pass and Howard sets a better screen you would not be arguing about any of this.
    Also, while Meeks might not have made that one step towards Parsons that Nash did, the play was pretty much dead at that point anyway.

Lin might not have called the play, but somebody did. Look at Parsons' hand. I know for a fact that that's the signal for the play I was referring to in my previous post.

8. jp2123

jp2123 Member

Lol, I am a fan of Lin but this is just so obvious it just makes common sense. It is a set play, this team needs to be committed to each other. But you clearly see that this is not the case in this play. Guess what happens the next play? Harden goes ISO missed the shot and BAM we lose the game.

9. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

I don't get it. You're saying Bev should be on the right. Lin is already getting hedged by 2 defenders. Bev's defender would be a third. Lin's expected to thread the needle through 3 defenders to get it to a slashing Bev? That's 2 on 3 and Bev is the smallest guy on the court

I think Bev and Harden were doing exactly what they were supposed to do, which is camp the corner so they could be fed the ball and hit the 3 if their man sagged off them. Only thing I can say bad about Harden is his spacing is so bad his man doesn't have any room to sag off him anyway. And Parsons should've taken the shot

10. Nook

Nook Member

If the Rockets had a clear cut starting point guard, there would be no real discussions about it.

I believe Beverley in part starts because Lin has little room to operate and drive with both Asik and Howard on the floor.

11. jp2123

jp2123 Member

I don't get... no corner either of them is supposed to be in? They are in the corner just in the wrong one. I hope you read the whole thing. And Howard a better screen? What screen? I hope you are not calling that a screen.

12. Apache

Apache Member

Mchale is a weak coach.

13. jp2123

jp2123 Member

That's exactly the point! If the pass is not there with Bev cut YOU KNOW someone is on the other side open cause you have 3 defenders on Lin and then you have 2vs3 on the weak side.

So, if that were to happen. Nash commits to Lin, Bev cuts to the lane. If the pass is not there, Lin does the same thing he did. Pass it back to Parsons and either Howard or Harden would be open for an easy three or layup.

14. Breitbard

Breitbard Contributing Member

Thanks. Great breakdown.

15. archinkent

archinkent Member

He was supposed to go where 3 is, which he did but took his own sweet time and wasting much of the shot clock.

16. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

What I meant to say that the players in the corner are interchangeable. The Rockets have successfully run this set with Harden in the corner the PG is going to various times.

Howard failed to set a proper screen, yes. That's the point. The combination of Lin not making the timely pass and Howard failing to set a proper screen is why the Rockets did not a good shot on that possession.
    The fact that Harden and Beverley did not change sides pretty much did not matter at all. Nash's one step stunt was a non-factor. Parsons wasn't going to get a good shot there anyway.

1 person likes this.
  17. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

If Nash commits to Lin, the corner guy taking an open 3 would be better than him slashing to the hole and I'd rather have Harden taking that 3 than Bev

If Lin is doubled like he was here, Nash is not gonna commit and the only open person would obviously be the rollman, hence the kickout

I could be wrong but the only options I see are Lin attacks if he's not doubled, Lin hits the corner guy for a 3 if the corner guy's defender sags, and Lin passes back out to the rollman if he's doubled and the corner guy's defender doesn't sag

18. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

it's funny how we all see different things lol

19. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

Because it sure looked like Parsons was relaying the play to him.

20. jp2123

jp2123 Member

You are in the right track. Now, we have to acknowledge the obvious. Harden demands his guy to play him tight and not leave him. Bev doesn't demand anything other than Sag-off to help. THAT makes all the difference and what some people here fail to see. Some say "It doesn't matter who is in which corner." It does matter because Beverly and Harden are NOT the same player and their defensive demands are COMPLETELY opposite.

And I think that the main point I was trying to make is that the Lakers defense would be broken at that point which leads to many possibilities. Be it an open three, open lane to the basket, 2vs3 on the weak side.