1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Play07

Play07 Member

this pretty much sums it up I was at the game last night and what bev brings is energy, I like lins game but im a rockets fan first and lin had his chance to get the starting spot. He was playing great off the bench at the start of the season so once smith asik garcia everyone is back healthy I feel like he will be great off the bench. One thing lin needs to do is shoot and stop always looking for the pass which is fine but sometime just shoot get in your rhythm even if you miss, its better than looking to pass and turning the ball over any day.

bev brings teh hardwork to our starting lineup so it makes others want to hustle and play harder.

bev went 3-7 yesterday from 3 but the thing is nobody’s going to remember the 4 shots he missed, theyre going to remember the 2 early 3s that set the tone. Lin shot 2-3 form3. He needs to just shoot more people will be ok with the missed shots it’s just the turnovers people can’t handle.

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Getting back to status quo messed him up?

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Can we close this thread already? Lin has no case to be a starter any longer. He had his chance and pretty much blew it.

We all saw the difference Beverley makes. The Rockets best players in Harden and Howard see that too. Bev is a gamer, a confident in your face hustle player with big time cojones and a good fit with this line up

Lin OTOH is a mentally weak player whose confidence is shot and is playing passive. A passive Lin is worthless

4. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Im a huge lin-supporter, but most importantly a Rockets supporter. I really thought Lin would take the starting job back, but tonight the team just played completely different with Bev. I posted last year it seems like the only thing really keeping Lin back is his b**** attitude. Im serious. He needs to drop the religious God is good act and just get pissed and play his game. I thought the whole thing with Lowry and Mchale was what we are seeing with Lin and Mchale but Lin just doesnt have the balls to play with high confidence all the time. Lin should stay the 6th man if hes going to be mentally weak like that, and if he keeps letting it bother him hes just going to fade away. That's on him to be weak or strong. I hope proves me wrong, but his fortitude is pathetic sometimes. You can literally see it on the court when hes not playing well.

5. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Some of you guys are terrible. The mentally weak narrative is old, if not borderline racist. If he were mentally weak, he would have quit basketball a long time ago.

As for his inconsistency...it's true. Not to make any excuses, but he is really the only player who doesn't play with a consistent line-up. Beverley has the luxury of always playing with Harden/Howard/Parsons/Jones.

Let's also call out Beverley's inconsistency when he has a 4 pt 0 ast game. Oh, but that doesn't matter. He's in there for defense. Except Lillard put up 24 pts and 5 asts last night.

6. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

... proceeds to make excuses.

Beverley was like +26 tonight. Lin was the only player with a negative +/- at -7.

7. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Sounds like an excuse, but it's a fact. Whether or not that contributes to inconsistency, I don't know.

And yes, Beverley had a good game. People use +/- when it's convenient.

8. yao_fan

yao_fan Member

Being in the starting lineup also means you train with the starting lineup too. At this time I think it is easier for everybody if Rockets just trade Lin. If we wait any longer his value is diminishing due to lack of play time.

9. DH12sTeam

DH12sTeam Member

I feel like Lin is playing like he wants to get traded. Not the same player before the injuries.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Except that Lillard put a lot of those points up when facing Lin while Bev on the bench. Let's just conveniently forget that.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Ronnie Brewer's new nickname, the Lin stopper. :grin:

12. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

It *has* been called out. On this board, he is routinely referred to as a scrub. Useless. No impact on the team. Hot garbage. A "monkey" out there on the court. A 3rd stringer in the D-league at best. Good for nothing other than injuring opposing players. Owes his relevancy and place in the league to Lin. All of these things have been said on a regular basis. And less hateful posters -- myself included -- have pointed out his inconsistency. He and Lin share that trait for sure. Perhaps you just don't make note of those posts, but they certainly exist.

13. aziankingz

aziankingz Member

Lin really has been playing like crap and that is why he is not starting. He would only penetrate if he sees an open lane, when he does go into the paint with defenders, he would just stop and trap himself and hardly creates his own shot. Lins defense gotten better but he seems to rely too much on help defense. he hasnt made his case for being a starter since the beginning of the season before he was injured.

14. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

There's not enough basketball for Lin to be effective as a 5th option, and Bev doesn't need the ball to be effective. That is why Lin needs to be on the bench.

Even when he is on the bench. Lots of time he is not even involved in the play. Casspi or Parson would handle the ball and initiate transition attack and Lin just go hide in the corner. Is he a back up PG or back up SG?

The Rockets clearly doesnt need his service anymore, let alone a 15 mil paycheck next year. He is on his way out.

/end thread

15. TheJet

TheJet Member

How is that racist? Ryan Leaf, Vince Young, Mitch Williams, Greg Normal and the entire '93 Oilers disagree with you.

Lin has been in a slump since he came back from injury. He looked a step slow last night and couldn't beat his man off the dribble at all. That's unusual, so maybe he IS hurt a little. He did hit two big threes but his overall play looked very timid to me.

16. TheJet

TheJet Member

Greg Norman, sorry. I still feel bad for that dude.

17. kakaman

kakaman Member

LOL LOH are hilarious. You do know we can now check these blanket statements right?

http://stats.nba.com/playerGameLogs.html?PlayerID=203081&pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=25

Check out the videos:

1 FG - blows past Bev
    2 FG - shoots a 3 on D-Mo
    3 FG - beat Lin on a pick
    4 FG - wide open 3 because Bev switched on another player (Lin does this all the time)
    5 FG - drive on Lin
    6 FG - drives through everyone
    7 FG - 3 on Bev from a screen

Where do you say most of the points come off of? Just because you say Bev is a better defender doesn't actually make that true.

18. eslate22

eslate22 Member

can someone please tell me why a roster spot is being wasted on brewer? he clearly can't shoot the ball so the defense is playing 5 on 4... rather see us bring up covington (i did see him on the bench last night)

19. Indaface

Indaface Member

I think trading Lin would be the best thing for the team. He clearly shouldn't start over Beverly and 8 million is quite a bit to be paying a 6th man.

Would much rather let Brooks be the backup and use some of that money on getting a good backup wing. Unless Garcia can find that mojo from the playoffs last year again.

20. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

You should probably check the game log before you make that kind of statement again...