1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. JMG524

JMG524 Member

Brewer has scored exactly 7 pts the entire year. Like it or not, he has a point.

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I am a Lin fan but he didn't get it done.

For a part of the season he looked better than beverly and I was arguing he needed to start but he didn't get it done. He had a golden opportunity to separate himself from Bev and make McHale look like an idiot if he started Bev over him but he didn't get it done.

He's had some good games but the biggest problem is he is no longer consistent and his bad games or more frequent than his good. Maybe he is playing hurt, maybe he has lost confidence in himself or maybe he just doesn't have it and the better games were a fluke. But the bottom line is he got a chance to earn the job and I would've have been the first to say McHale is a moron for not giving the starting job to Lin if he had earned it but he didn't get it done.

The team looks better with Beverly and the reality is unless there is a reasonable improvement with Lin on the floor than I see no reason to consider him over Bev. Bev is a better fit with Harden than Lin and the only reason you don't go with that is if Lin is just clearly better than Bev period to justify. That is not the case, end of the discussion now and the forseeable Lin is Bench fodder. Maybe the extra rest will help him get back in his groove.

2 people like this.
  3. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Rep'd OMR.

Good post.

4. baki

baki Member

Did not see the game but I think that's a bit hard on Lin, particularly if they won the game fairly easily. We all know what he can do, just need to find a situation where he can go back to being effective.

5. baki

baki Member

What else can you do when your boss calls the play?

What else can you do if your math teacher doesn't know how to teach you science?

There's too much trying to figure things out for Lin, but he's always come back, that's what I love about him and this club's motto.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you say...

with beverly

time machine back to Linsanity

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Dropped Lin today on ESPN fantasy basketball...

8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

he had a chance to put it beyond any doubt, he didn't.

say what you want about his role in the team, the role of the PG in this team, but Beverley just seems to do it better with the starting unit.

Lin needs to get out of the funk he's in and get back to how he was playing pre-injuries. Aggressive, scoring mindset, and he'll still be a big part of this team given the struggles of our second unit.

9. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Lin, Parsons, and Jones are my favorite players on this team and Lin just didn't show up last night. Happy that Parsons looked like a freakin superstar though. Great first game for my 5 year old who has already deified Parsons.

10. Razsan

Razsan Member

And there you have, you just made excuses for Harden...well done. And please watch Howard...his defense is not quite as advertised.

11. vlaurelio

so now McHale calls out plays and he's responsible for the team's success this season?

12. vlaurelio

Harden and Howard consistently contribute to the Rockets wins. That's why they're 1A & 1B. Lin is very inconsistent that's why he's the 5th at best and 6th at worst in pecking order.

13. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

How are people still arguing Lin should be the starter? bev's energy is infectious and energy is why we haven't been as successful as we should have. No doubt about it our starting unit had a buzz last night. Hope it continues when Tjones comes back too

14. FaBo

FaBo Member

The thing I just don't get is that some people here seem to think that Lin not being in the Starting 5 means he's a bad player. It DOESN'T. I think he is a solid, above-average NBA Point Guard and most likely would be a starter on weaker teams. However, Bev simply fits better with the first unit than Lin. We need defense, energy, hustle etc. in the S5, and that's what Bev can give us. Does that mean that I think Bev is a better, more talented basketball player than Lin? Absolutely not.
    But with this starting unit, Bev is a better fit than Lin, who, on the other hand, should be the 6th man, providing more scoring off the bench which has been a problem this season.

15. Razsan

Razsan Member

Actually that was well said!! Good job.

16. yummyhawtsauce

I am a Lin fan too and quite disappointed with his play. I think it's his personality and that he is too passive. He is definitely better thriving with a team where there are lesser players. But I'll see what happens as the season progresses. Lin didn't do too bad yesterday though with 5 assists. Many players missed their open 3s, Casspi, Parsons, Harden. He could have easily had 8 in about 23 min of play.

Lin def needs to be more aggressive.

17. Neped

Neped Member

One thing I notice Beverley does better than Lin is when he's handed the ball and brings it down the court he runs and hands it off quickly to the other player. Whereas Lin tends to hold on to the ball longer dribbling it to death and stands in the corner without moving much. Beverley is everywhere rebounding and getting steals. I remember Lin was like this in New York but now he's mo

18. Neped

Neped Member

*more passive.

19. Remii

Remii Member

This ▲▲▲▲

20. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

It's like the demotion killed his spirit. I'm a big Lin fan but i will always go with what helps the team win. Hope Parsons helps get himout out of his current funk.