1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin Fouls Video Makes Front Page of NY Times

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Os Trigonum, Apr 14, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

ppl who exaggerate, that's all I meant.

And my point is 1/2 of them weren't flagrants. She can point out 6-7 plays covering 3 years, but that doesn't make them all flagrants.

Reach in? Lin doesn't have the ball. Ariza is the ball-handler/passer He's running towards the pass that Allen is trying to tip away. The term "reach in" is reserved for trying to strip a player with the ball. Lin ran into Allen's elbow, just like he ran into his teammate Harden in a GSW game, when he injured Harden's elbow. He 'reached in" with his head scrambling for the ball.

The defender has the right to his space and his forward progress going for the ball. Lin actually cuts in front of him...fearing Allen is going to tip it away.

Again, I always admired Lin's willingness to drive into traffic and fight for the ball, despite him doing so wrecklessly some times. Does he get targeted for aggressive contact (maybe even just to test his mettle) like what happens to other non-stars who drive hard into the lane? Sure. Should three of those be flagrants? Yes.

#121 heypartner, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Past and present for Asians hasn't really changed:

[​IMG]

3. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Thanks for posting. Also, Molly Qerim is hot.

4. colt45nyc

colt45nyc Rookie

Tinsatan is again proving he's a clown and the biggest jerk in clutch.

5. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

It's always been that way, not just Lin, but the Euro players as well.

I still remember the time when the first batch of Euro players entered NBA, they couldn't buy a call. When they complained, the refs often yelled at them with some racial slur, probably figured they wouldn't understand it anyway.

Yao was mis-treated, Lin is now. It won't change until the league has enough Asian players regularly, which won't happen for a long time.

6. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Some of the fouls called ON Yao were plain ridiculous.

And his opponents would often get away with murder, night in and night out

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

One profession that needs to be automated is NBA referring, when computers can ref the game, all the bias would be gone, hopefully within the next ten years this will happen.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yes and Yao was an ALL STAR, who deserved ALL STAR calls.

9. krnxsnoopy

And JVG called out the Refs for it, and got fined $100K

10. tinman

Supporting Member

And that was great thing to do for a COACH OF THE TEAM.

When you have player only fans doing it, it seems less legit and there's a question on motive too.

It's Clifford's job to stick up for his players, regardless of what race that player is.

11. krnxsnoopy

LOL not really. That was 2005. Social media is king now. It's a different world. Also players and coaches who question "the integrity of the league" publicly get punished harshly. It's a Pandora box when people involved in the organization alludes to potential unfairness, being that it's a slippery Slope to corruption, match fixing, etc. Lin did the right thing to get up and keep playing even if he's not getting the calls. People not involved with the league directly can speak freely but Lin or his coaches cannot.

And if they dI'd, you would have found something to nit pick anyway saying he's a puss for complaining and he's not tough enough.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Does that mean that refs are too reluctant to call flagrant fouls inflicted on Lin, or that they are too willing to whistle ticky-tack fouls on Lin's behalf?

1 person likes this.
  13. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

because he was a big man and big men are always poorly officiated. Shaq and Dwight would be the first to confirm this.

It's not always about race guys.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Yes really.

When there's a no call on a foul, it's usually the coach who complains along with his player.

15. krnxsnoopy

Shaq, Dwight, Yao are big men. That's why they don't get the same superstars like Derrick Rose, Kobe, Harden, Curry.

In any case, it doesn't matter the videos speak for themselves. Missed calls. Reasoning behind it doesn't matter. What matters is whether they fix it moving forward.

16. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I don't think the video spoke to anything. As I stated previously, outside of maybe 1 of the plays - I didn't see any that should even potentially be discussed as flagrant. The kid is superb at penetration and a hesitation move. It's one of the primary reasons he's in the NBA. His style of play is going to lead to lots of fouls of this nature that aren't flagrant. It's skillset based.

The league has already gotten too loose with it's interpretation of a flagrant (which carries a significant penalty) and I would prefer it didn't become more so because a singular fan of a player with an incredibly vocal fanbase made a mediocre to poor video blasting the nba for a bias that does not exist.

Sure - if you take it on statistics - it looks odd. But statistics don't tell the full story.

17. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Absolutely correct...

...10 years ago

NBA has changed...flagrant fouls are called a lot more loosely.

18. flagrantflop

flagrantflop New Member

I have watch some of the Charlotte games this year, and I have seen many of the plays that was posted on the video. To me the Harden foul was a correct call, because he was trying to make a play on the ball. The other two by Kobe and Melo are actually a horrible call. Melo did an European uppercut on the poor man which was uncalled for or the Kobe clothesline.

19. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Well if you look at some of the fouls Lin has taken, they should have been called flagrants. So that goes against your

Just two examples that really stick out in my mind - both Lma and Kobe almost took Lin's head off. Blake Griffin got ejected for a similar foul on another player.

20. krnxsnoopy

Also you can argue Carmelo uppercut swipe was a play at the ball; but reckless and dangerous. If you miss the ball and make contact with the head, should be automatic flagrant foul.