1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin fans: Why the opposition to 6th man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LelWestbrick, Jul 8, 2013.

1. SuperManRocketz

Honestly i dont know why people want Bev to be the main PG..lol..None of his games is worthy to mention like JLins.In fact what games have he played that people think he need to be a starter? Its mind boggling...At best Bev is a back up..

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Why must everyone focus on the negative instead of the positive which is the value Lin could have as a 6th man?

3. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Well, you are saying perhaps the most obsessive Lin trolls are not humans afterall? They are just adwares? No wonder they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. But of course, they do serve a purpose so it's not completely tragic.

4. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Thanks, I'm glad you like them!! :grin:

On the other hand, I'm not sure it's a good analogy. If I were his campaign manager I'd definitely be more pro-active instead of reactive like now. This is more like the reason:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8074450&postcount=448

I dunno, I guess I'm too old school, you don't hate a player on one's team rabidly unless he's lazy, selfish or trouble-making. It's really bad fanhood and makes a bad fan forum. Also, zero-tolerance on racism.

5. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Curry is a Point Guard. Curry hit 40% of his 3's and takes a lot of them, so his total FG% has a high persentage of threes combined with twos and is consequently spuriously low.That's why it is at 45% .Sixth men are usually taller than 6' 3", at least when I played ball.That's because they also play SG and in rare times a SF. Six three is not truly adequate for a SG, Kmat is much taller, so is Shefalosha, Klay Thomson,Kobe .Gettng to the line is very good and important, but in Harden's case I feel he looks to the foul too much . I have been playing BBall since 1960 and was on a NYC public school team that when to the quarter finals. Needless to say I watched a great number of Games. I don't recall any player just looking to be fouled in order to score. The shot is first and the foul is icing on the cake. It's usually an and one play if done to score the most points. Sorry but that's the way I was taught to play ball.

6. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Exactly what I've been saying too. If Beverley showed us he was an ace from the 3 pt line, then maybe you have an argument in starting him (but he and Lin's 3pt shooting percentage was pretty even). If Beverley had multiple games with double digit assists and was an awesome playmaker, these guys may have a point (but his assist showing in the playoffs was anemic). If Beverley could play solid D for 30+ minutes a game, then maybe we start him to cover other teams elite pts. (But letting Reggie Jackson have some of the best games of his career against you and picking up more fouls than assists shows that can't be the case). So what is it with all of you guys wanting to play Beverley over Lin? Especially since with Dwight, Lin should easily average 8-9 assists a game. Oh yes, I remember - he's Jeremy Lin and anyone at point would be better than him.

7. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

LOL if the Houston Rockets are rolling out LeBron James/Dwade/Bosh no would say anything about him having a bigger role.

Lin as a 6th man makes no sense because if you want a spot shooter....Bev is not a deadeye shooter. In fact over the course of the last half of the season I think Lin's 3 pt % was actually higher.

With Bev starting you essentially have one freaking play maker on the floor. YOu need a secondary playmaker and Lin i the guy. THis team supposed to be built around D12.....what makes D12 a better player....a Harden/Bev backcourt or Harden/Lin?? Of course it's the latter, because that makes 2 guys on the floor who can run solid pick and rolls with him. Lin made Tyson Chandler, who has 0 offensive ability look like a monster on the offensive end.

Add to that all the Bev lovers can't stop raving about his defense, by starting Lin, any deficiencies should be partially hidden by Dwight patrolling the paint. When the starters get some rest and Dwight is out of the game, that's a better time for Bev, the better defender to be out there.

Most people want Lin as a 6th man cause they either dont like him or think he's overpaid. If he made 3 mill there'd be much less people complaining about him starting. It just doesnt make that much basketball sense.

8. SuperManRocketz

Obvious reason you need all your great players as starter..Bev does not have a set of skills like JLin..

9. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Shefalosha has a PER of 11. His TS% 608. His EFG% is also higher than Harden's and Kobe's. Harden's eFG% is ranked at 159 for all NBA players and about 20 for SG's. That's why I am worried. A FG% of 44 usually occurs for a good player when they are forcing shots and shooting too much according the the book basketball on paper. Kobe and Harden shoot too much.

10. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

This. They only want Bev to start because he can shoot the 3. But Bev only shot 3% better than Lin and as the season went on Lin was the better three point shooter. Almost everything else Lin is superior at. You could argue defense, but we haven't seen sustained level of defense in extended minutes from Bev where you could say he's a better defender. Bev's greatest trait is that he brings energy and hustle.That's why he's the ideal guy off the bench. It worked well last season and it should again this season.

I honestly just think that these guys dislike Lin so much that they just want to see him relegated somehow. They might make it seem like it's not(and it very well might not be), but to them it will be and that'll make them happy even though it doesn't do the team any good. I wonder if instead of Lin, Dragic or even Rondo, two statistically worse 3PT shooters than Lin, were the starting points for this team. I wonder if they would also call them to be the 6th man behind Bev?

1 person likes this.
  11. calmdowntime

calmdowntime Member

/thread

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Harden was 11th in total field goals made and 8th in attempts.
    He was 6th in 3 pointers made and 5th in attempts.

Hardly numbers that would suggest he relies on FT for all his scoring.

All this in his first year as the main guy on a team without a true #2 scoring option. We have already seen what he can do when he has less defensive focus put on him in his last year with OKC, 49% FG and 39% from 3. We just acquired a guy who should go a long way in alleviating the pressure and drawing more defensive attention away from Harden. So while I still disagree that his shooting % was worrisome this year, I completely expect to see them go up across the board with Howard on board.

Again I don't understand your gripe with trying to get to the line. It won the pre Lebron Heat a title. Is the most efficient shot in the game. ALL superstars live at the line.

13. Faithful123

Faithful123 Member

Everybody should be consistent not only Lin. You want Beverly start? Was he consistent? He disappeared in several games and scored 0 sometimes in 40 games he played. He brought sparks in sone games but to start? He needs better skills and consistency. Don't use double standards to judge people.

14. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Great point. So many Lin critics overlook the fact that he cut down his turnovers, improved his shooting and played pretty solid D. Did he have some bumps in his true first season? Sure, but who doesn't? John Wall and Kyrie Irving were far from perfect in their first full season. But nobody scrutinized them to the degree that Lin has been reemed. Also, Nash's numbers weren't too different from Lin's this season and nobody in LA is saying that he should come off the bench since the Lakers have Kobe and Pau in the starting 5 and need a good player to run with the second squad.

This team is built for a smart PG who can run the PnR, penetrate and dish, makes his teammates better but still finish or hit the shot if he is left open. That guy is Lin all the way.

15. Faithful123

Faithful123 Member

Many Rockets fans can not accept the fact that Lin didn't play the linsanity level last year. They expected too much from him. But coach Mchale and Mireya didn't want Lin to play that level. They only need somebody who can just shoot 3s. That's totally a waste of Lin's talents. LInsanity is not about 3s, it's about good PG skills, passing, attacking and the most teamwork. Lin made everybody much better and they all played the highest level during that time. But Rockets only trusts superstars, isos.... That's terrible.

16. Killer Korgi

Killer Korgi Member

If coming off the bench had the same significance as starting the game, no one would complain about Lin being a sixth man because it would be beneficial to the team. Beverley is not better than Lin in terms of being a lights out 3-point shooter, but because neither of them fit the description of a killer 3 point shooter, we have to make the best of what we've got.

17. rinklob

rinklob Member

Lin as 6th man is a great idea. LOFs are posting the same tired cliches about how "the best PG should start" - it's not even clear that Lin is "better" than Bev in that he has more value, and Bev makes way more sense in the starting lineup. Please.

18. kcd

kcd Member

Yup they would never suggest that if it was those players. Lin is better than Bev. Why should he be delegated to not start just because his back-up is not a good facilitator.

19. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

To be honest, I care more about whether Lin will be playing in the 4th quarter with the game on the line. Last season, Coach McHale let Lin start every game ... but then inexplicably sat him on the bench for most of the 4th quarter, including the pivotal final minutes when the score was tied.

And when Harden was resting on the bench, Lin would be sitting too. He would never be allowed on the floor without the Beard.

This shows that Rockets management see Lin as being less reliable in leading the offense than Douglas or Beverley.

20. rinklob

rinklob Member

Maybe fewer people would've been calling for them to be sixth men. But I would've been; at least if they'd played the way they usually do with mediocre (or in Rondo's case horrific) 3-point shooting and a ball-dominant style. Just because people might be saying Lin as 6th man is a good idea for the wrong reasons doesn't mean it's not a good idea. Which it is.