1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin fans: Why the opposition to 6th man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LelWestbrick, Jul 8, 2013.

1. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

It's the only way he's getting primary ballhandler duties. Point guard or not, superstar wing players with good ball skills and IQ are getting primary ballhandling duty. If they're a PG ala Westbrook/Parker/Paul then they will take it down and manage the halfcourt every time. If they're a non PG then they're still doing it on most possessions. I've never seen Mario Chalmers fans complain about his criminal underuse as PG for the Heat.

Beverley is a more natural fit with the Rockets starting rotation and is much more capable when relegated to a spot up shooter role. Can he drive to the basket like Lin? Can he drive and dish like Lin? No. But he doesn't need to with the Rockets starting 5. Harden does that stuff and the PG needs to nail 3s reliably. Lin's skills as a ball-dominant player are wasted when he's next to Harden.

So why not 6th man? There's no shame at all in that position. Harden was a widely respected star and part of OKC's "Big 3" as 6th man. No one at all thought Thabo was better than Harden. Manu Ginobli was 6th man and part of the Spurs big 3. Our coach McHale is widely regarded as one of the best players of all time and one of the most talented post players of all time. He was also a career 6th man. There's nothing wrong at all with that role. It doesn't mean you're an inferior player, it means your skills make you a better fit there than with the starting crew.

So Lin fans, why the opposition to Bev starting and Lin getting heavy minutes as a 6th man? He'd run the second unit, bring the ball down every possession, do everything he did in New York. He'd style on second unit roleplayers, the hate would stop, and everyone would love him as a valuable and reliable contributor to the Rockets success.

Why NOT Lin as 6th man?

1 person likes this.
  2. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I didn't even read your long post but it is simple, the best pg should be the starter.

3. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

I totally agree!! I did a thread earlier about it and people didnt really respond. I think its a great idea. Our second unit with Lin and Asik would kill other 2nd units!!

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Harden can't initiate every possession. His defense is bad enough with him taking as many possessions as he did last season. If Lin gets a larger share of the responsibilities, Harden will have more energy left for defense, improving our defense, and our offense won't suffer.

5. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

Thats like Ginobili... he was the better SG but he came off the bench for almost all his career and look at how his career has gone. Even tho Lin is the better PG between himself and Beverley, Harden does way too much ball handling for Lin to be effective.

6. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Because you would be paying 8mil for a guy who would only be playing about 10 minutes a game. If the whole point is to play Harden and Lin seperately, Harden is going to get 38 minutes at the least. This doesn't give Lin a lot of time to work his magic.

Just keep Lin as the starter and eventually he and Harden will coexist.

7. Swishh

Swishh Member

Is that only for the PG position? If so, then I assume you disagree with Crawford, Ginobili (when he didn't suck) , etc coming off the bench?

8. Raven

Raven Member

16 million invested in two bench players?

9. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

The best guard/wing player doesn't always start though. Again, Harden was better than Thabo and everyone knew it. Manu was better than [Whoever] every season in San Antonio and everyone knew it. There's huge value in having a good player come off the bench.

Skill overlap matters. There's be no overlap with Lin off the bench.

10. Swishh

Swishh Member

sorry for the quick double post, but since when does the 6th man only get 10 minutes a game?

Lin can easily get 25 mins per game as 6th man role on this team.

11. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

Lin would be a a 6th man of the year candidate if Morey chose to go this route...

12. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Troll thread, IBTL

13. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

This is a coaching/rotation question, not a money question. If tying up 16m on the bench is a poor use of cap space then Morey should trade some of the bench for better value. You could have 70m on the bench if that's what produces a better overall team, a better win% and a better chance of advancing to the NBA finals.

14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You make a lot of sense but you are wasting your time. Anything that results in Jeremy Lin not being a superstar on this team is bad and you will be labeled a hater for this. I had a thread where I said that we were gonna get Dwight and we would likely trade Lin and I got called crazy. Lin should be on the bench or a on a team like Orlando. The only way he should be a starter is if he becomes a consistant three point shooter.

15. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

Lol yes, my well reasoned and obvious thread to anyone that isn't a raging LOF alt tabbing between clutchfans and chinaSMACK is trolling. Spot on bro.

1 person likes this.
  16. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

Obviously Lin would have minutes with the first unit but the point is for Lin to be out there against the second units with Asik killin it. And as for a 16 Million dollar bench between 2 guys? Yeah, for this season atleast. Rockets cant get anything of great value so i think it'd be great to have a great bench with those 2 guys.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Manu Ginobli SAS? James Harden OKC? both teams made it to the finals btw.

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

It should be about what's best for the team. Period.

19. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

Excactly. The "Dwight System" is 1. Acquire Dwight 2. Surround him with effective jump shooters 3. Collect 50+ wins. There is no room on an optimal Dwight centered team for guards that struggle with shooting.

20. keldraco

keldraco Member

i'm a lin fan i i am ok with it. As long as lin gets some playing time.