1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin and harden as dual point guards.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kmart9419, Nov 4, 2012.

1. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

There is a lack of consistency when the ball is brought up the court. Lin gets the ball most of the time but when harden and parsons rebound they would bring the ball up themselves and initiate the offense. There is general confusion when that happens when Lin is waiting in the backcourt to see if he will get the ball or not. If not, he runs to the frontcourt.

The problem with Lin not getting the ball is that he is taken out of initiating the offense which is his strength. We lose the fast pace Lin is known for and his floor generalship. We lose easy points. Watching harden do a Tmac like slow trot up half court then go iso irks me. That's not winning basketball. Harden being the goto guy now needs to learn to pace himself otherwise he will burn out. Let the point guard initiate and give you the ball in your spot. The team needs an identity. The point guard should be the one handling the ball everytime up the court and initiating.

Lin without the ball and without aggression makes him a subpar spot up shooter who is just taking up space. We have a competent closer who literally takes himself out of the game and made it easy for the defense to key in on harden.

Hero ball is ugly. Near the end of the game, it was "this is my team moment." Harden dominated the ball and passing stopped. Everybody just stopped and watched. That lick the toe thing harden did was outright cockiness. Harden still have alot to prove before he can go and do that kind of thing. I really hope the first two games are not putting too much air into his head.

2 people like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Hey kmart9419, your number is up.

Go to OKC already.

We don't need help with our two starting guards...give it up. They have both said they love each other and don't miss you anymore kmart9419 or whatever your number is.

also, this thread was done yesterday. I guess you didn't notice.

Let's write this down as a thread that will appear 20 times this year.

TAG: HEYPARTNERBUCKET

3. gah

gah Member

Not sure if serious? You do realize he's been a member since way before Kmart landed here.

I agree, I think even from the 1st qtr Harden started playing some hero ball here and there. But this is a new thing for everybody, I trust that things will settle down on a good place once this trial and error phase is over.

4. heypartner

don't really care. Repeating threads within one day get no respect.

Why shouldn't I just ruin them?

Read up people. Look for a thread to post your comment in. 9 out of 10 times your idea has a current thread.

STOP BEING SO   F R E A K I N G   LAZY

Go find another thread OP and anyone who defends this repeating thread go to the Feedback to complain about me.

so freaking SIGH!!!!

5. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Good points here, the Rockets need to run the offense with Lin handling the ball. The offense looked lost when Lin was just waiting beyond the arc in the corner, and Harden was not finishing on his iso's.

6. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Dude, eat a snickers.

7. heypartner

what, you missed the thread about this from yesterday, so it's a good idea to start a new one again today.

so sigh.

y'all don't get the concept of a freaking search engine and that people HATE the GARM because of repeating threads.

8. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Contributing members don't have the ability to search threads...

9. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

Totally agree with this post, no more ISO ball. The ball needs to move. Let Lin initiate the offense and Harden can score 50% of the points if he wishes.

People keep on slamming Asik for those missed put backs but it's the duty of the PG to give Asik easy dunks and you don't see that anymore. Look at all the top PGs in the league, their big men gets easy buckets time after time.

I hope Lin and Harden will both realize if your shot is not falling, you need to change your role and distribute more. Right now, it should be Lin's job to distribute and Harden's job to score. Simple as that.

10. awarde2

awarde2 Member

ITA there time when everybody was just standing around watching Harden. The ball need to keep moving. Lin has superior court vision, give him the ball also in clutch time. Harden/Lin will figure it out. They will review the tapes and move on from there. Hopefully Rockets will not become an ISO team, because if that happens, we will be dead in the water.JMO

11. kmart9419

You need to seriously chill out. All of this outrage over a new thread? But I'm cool with that, I ain't going fight with you over this. I'll keep my posts in a relevant thread.

Just to set things straight, my moniker is because I was a Kmart employee not because I was a fan of Kenyon or Kevin Martin.

12. King Boo

King Boo Member

Trolling threads for no reason gets no respect. People keep complaining that the GARM has dropped in quality with all the new people this season, but I see a lot of "veteran posters" that are already pretty low quality.

13. nono

nono Member

Great post. Sad to see thread derailed. Anyways, I agree that Lin should have the ball in his hands more as he is better at creating than Harden is. Plus, Harden is a much better off the ball player than Lin is so we don't lost that much when Lin is handling the ball. On the other hand, with Harden bringing the ball up the court and Lin sitting on the perimeter our offense simply stagnates.

14. torocan

torocan Member

I'm not ready to make any assumptions at this point.

Harden hasn't been here all that long, and to be honest it's a miracle they're working together as well as they have been.

Harden's never been a selfish player, nor has Lin. I suspect it will improve as they hammer out the details.

15. kmart9419

The problem is the coaching. Mchale needs to set the rules. Nobody needs to see the wild days of the Francis and mobley era.

16. heypartner

First my simple take on the topic...

What does "dual pt guards" mean? Are you saying you can't have two or saying only one person can control the ball.

Harden is as capable at controlling the offense as Lin. And the thing is...they both agree. Why are we going to disagree with Lin's statements on this. If you say Lin should not be a 3pt shooter on a pick in role, then that implies that you say Harden should be that 3pt shooter. Thing is,,,it's not worth arguing over. Harden is fully capable of doing both roles and so is Lin. Let it go.

Think Parker vs Ginobody

You know what...Spurs fans argued over this very same thing through 3 freaking championships. The argument never died. Think about it...three titles and they were still arguing over Parker vs Ginobody...

You know why, because people like to win arguments and people like to tell others "I told you so" and the cycle repeats...through 3 championships. We are better than Spurs fans. I know it.

cool. you're right. but you know what makes the GARM difficult (and any 2012 members who want to learn sumpin, might consider an old member's take on this) is because no one cares to post a thread anymore because it will get drowned out and lost in a sea of repeating threads.

Yes, I am disrespecting your thread, and I probably shouldn't. Well, I definitely shouldn't. But I am pointing out that this topic is OBVIOUSLY a very big topic.

I'm not an admin. But I can guarantee you what is going to happen with this topic.

Everyone will forget your thread once the next game starts. Then someone else (depending upon the outcome of the game) will start this very same PG vs SG vs Dual PG debate (what does dual PG even mean?) ,,, and you and everyone in this thread will say to yourself..."But we've already discussed this, there is already a thread about this with my (your) well thought out comment about this very subject...grrrr." OR you will learn to be DaDakota and thrive on threads that repeat and you will fuel them, because you learn repeating threads help you sharpen your argument and anticipate all responses. imo, the later is the worst kind of troll.

so sigh

NBA Dish seems to try really hard to use existing threads
    Hangout is good about it, too
    D&D...you won't live there if you repeat a thread

GARM is like the Zombie Apocalype...you can't stop it...but some of us try by promising ourselves to limit starting our own personal opinion threads.

cheers...
    you all know when the time comes to go to a game together, we are all going to have fun meeting each other, no? That's another thing I can guarantee from experience.

#16 heypartner, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah i was pretty upset that there wasn't a play drawn at the end of regulation. Harden just iso'd with a great defender on him, whole team just standing still, and he didn't even take it to the basket (which is how he got all his points last night) and decided to just try to shoot a contested shot when his shots weren't falling the whole game. Sure he was fouled, but that doesn't matter it was a terrible shot that very likely wouldn't have went in if he wasn't blocked/fouled. Hopefully McHale will decide to run a play next time, he's also to blame. Its most likely McHale gave him the go on the iso last second.

18. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I don't mind the dual PG role for both Lin and Harden. My issue is with Harden consistently asking for the same damn play to run for him every friggin time. I understand they haven't had much practice so they have limited options. But if the ISO is not working for you, then try to do something else!!! Anyway, I think they need time to figure things out, if it continues as is, its going to be frustrating to watch.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think that it's ok if Harden or Parsons brings up the ball sometimes, it makes us less predictable and they are both capable of doing it, too. It looked like we were running a system with two point guards to me as well.

However, there should have been a play drawn up at the end of regulation, it was just a complete lack of coaching.

But it's not like Lin was making the right decisions all the time either, his attempt to throw the ball for an alley-oop just before the end of the game was ridiculous at that point of the game.

Still early in the season, anyway.

20. kmart9419

It's all good.

I didn't know how to phrase it. But from watching the games, whoever came down with the ball became our point guard. Parsons and harden are good passers and in harden's case a good creator as well. But the best creator in my opinion is Lin, he generates alot of easy shots. Lin also sets the pace which is fast. Consistency is important. If Lin knows he is not bringing the ball up the court, then he should be streaking to get into position. But with the current setup, he waits to see if he gets the ball and that is a wasted opportunity.

Harden's energy should be reserved for scoring and setting up teammates once we get into our sets. Let Lin put him in his spots instead of starting an Iso. Let Lin get an opportunity for an easy play first before we hand the ball to harden. Having 2 guys control the ball and initiating plays to a young group only serves to confuse.

Coach needs to utilize the strength of its players. The best playmaker should be Lin and the best scorer should be harden. Very simple. Take the playmaking away from Lin and he is way below average. An exhausted harden is good for a few blown layups. A single layup was the difference between a win and a loss yesterday.