1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Limitations of Moreyball: Analysis of the Rockets Clutch Performances

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Voice of Aus, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

yeah Morey went to work this offseason, im most excited about who wins the final spot on the roster between cov or reggie

on one side cov has the physical gifts to be the best PF on this roster, yes better than dmo or tones, however its extremely unlikely he reaches that ceiling

on the other you have reggie, who nobody knows what were getting, if we getting the rookie who shot lights out, or the bobcats reggie who never found his feet. if i was a betting man i would just say something inbetween such as a james anderson... but that shot chart wow
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Yes

Yes I have read and seen many that like Covington but my money is on Reggie. He has the experience and has shown so far he is ready to take the next step. He just needs to come in show if he can gel with this offense. I think he can and will.

DMo if he has bulked up has the low post moves that he should be the back up Center. Smith and Tjones should be battling it out for the 4 spot. Smith has the offense for that spot but he is inconsistent of the D. TJones though I think can do both eventually and be a good starter but in my opinion needs one more year.

3. Voice of Aus

i think for whatever reason im just not that high on the kid. I feel he has the potential to be a starter on an above average team however, he is so inconstant and at times gets lost that people should stop just giving him the starting spot by default. im with you give him another year in saying that, if you give him anouther year and then find out he will never cut it then you have potentially lost so much trade value, much like DMO currently.

4. Voice of Aus

im referring to TJones in this post

5. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

OK

I figured you were and can agree to a degree. From what I have seen of him he has the skills to be an above average PF but he needs to show that he can take the next step up and only another year will show if he has it or not. Personally if he can concentrate on defense and become an asset with that then he should get more minutes. With more minutes he can start showing if he has the offense to be that above average PF that teams covet. Right now we are not Championship caliber with him or any player we have currently at the 4 spot.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you don't think Robert Horry is Clutch, then you don't know what Clutch is.

It's about showing up when the pressure is at the most, in the playoffs, at the end of games.

Ask Nick Anderson about Clutch.

7. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

There ABSOLUTELY are players who are clutch, and there are tremendous variances in the ability to perform under pressure at all levels (from bench player to role player, to superstar). If you have played competitive sports where nerves can affect your performance, it becomes pretty obvious who plays above their "regular level" under pressure and who plays below their regular level.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

absolutely

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EsL1KUXnJ1Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

This is, of course, wrong.

It's mostly that but not only.

I'm too lazy to look up the stats, but for all I care, Robert Horry might have indeed made a very high percentage of "clutch" shots over his career. But I would guess that the list of people who have taken a similar number of clutch shots in the past 15-20 years is quite long. Out of that list you expect a few players (the number depends on how long that list is) to make a percentage of shots that seems abnormally high, say, 80%. That's basic statistics. Robert Horry wasn't some superhuman who could magically get better in the closing moments of games.* He's just the guy who happened to wind up at the better tail of the bell curve when his career was over. Were he to take another clutch shot, he would be no more likely to make it than some other, equally good shooter. Nor would he be more likely to miss, because "bound to miss/cool down" is another myth. Basketball is full of such extremely wide-spread myths. E.g., another one is "getting hot".

While I was writing this post, two other votes for the existence of clutchness have been cast. Again, being clutch is basic statistics. But I concede that being "anti-clutch", i.e., consistently performing worse because of psychological issues is another matter and no doubt is an issue for some players. Though I suspect the number of such players in the NBA is far lower than most would think.

*If he was then the obvious question is -- why not play better throughout the whole game? That would increase the odds of winning more. Or did he have something like a small "mana pool" and a "clutch shot" cost all of mana so he had to save it just in case?

1 person likes this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

I'd like to remind people that this place is called Clutchfans based off the team that was called Clutch City.

Let me refresh your memory on how it started

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uKZLpb4rwi0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

lol

And then ask Kenny if there is such a thing as clutch. :)

12. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Lol

At the end when Horry said he would put that in his top 5 Championships made me laugh.

13. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

That's kind of like saying that someone who got a 1600 on their SAT isn't "smart" they just happen to wind up on the better tail of the bell curve.

14. lidderer

lidderer Member

Robert Horry career regular season fg%: .425
    Robert Horry career playoff fg%: .426

So....basically he's the same in all instances, thus negating the notion of 'clutch' ability.

People seem to forget this guy shot 2-of-38(not a typo)from downtown in the '02-03 playoffs.

TWO of THIRTY-EIGHT.

15. lidderer

lidderer Member

It's almost nothing like saying this.

16. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Lol

How many of the 38 attempts were game winning shots? :rolleyes:

17. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Random comments:

Nice analysis,
    No one can tell me R Miller is not clutch,
    JLin is a winner and isn't bad in the clutch at all,
    TJ would be fine if he can play real good consistent man defense, he is so versatile.

18. Voice of Aus

Would people want to see another article which shows advanced stats and charts for our PD slot or continue with this moreyball concept?

19. Voice of Aus

Fixed..

20. tinman

Supporting Member

I'd like to give you a clue on why people play basketball..

TO WIN.

When you get this concept, you will understand what the word CLUTCH means.