1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lillard: "Real shot Anthony to Portland"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, Jul 19, 2017.

1. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

A land of ports

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

maybe they can recruit melo with clyde's jersey in the rafters

"we gots a hall of famer bro, come on over"

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.csnnw.com/portland-trail...mian-lillard-and-cj-mccollum-make-their-pitch

BEAVERTON – If Carmelo Anthony never joins the Trail Blazers, it won’t be because of lack of effort from the Blazers’ two cornerstones – Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum.

Through a series of cryptic and vague comments on Wednesday at Lillard’s youth basketball camp, both Lillard and McCollum said they have been in contact with Anthony in attempts to lure him to Portland via a trade.

“I spoke to him,’’ Lillard said. “Because obviously he makes us a better team. So obviously with that being out there and being a real possibility, I don’t see why I wouldn’t reach out to him and let him know the interest is mutual if he is interested in us.’’

What was Anthony’s response?

“I’m not going to share all that,’’ Lillard said. “We had the conversation about it because it’s something we need to talk about, so he knows it’s not something that just a team (is interested) ... it was myself and CJ would love to have him, so we reached out to him, texted him, that’s it.’’

McCollum, who was making an appearance at Lillard's camp, was more cryptic, saying he has spoke to Anthony “indirectly” through the trainer they both share. He added that he is flying to New York on Thursday to train and will “say hello (to Melo) if he’s there.’’

“If we get him … when we get him … I think we could be top three in the West, easy,’’ McCollum said. “I think he’s interested. Obviously I feel he wants to play with his team – the Banana Boat friends. I know he wants to play with CP (Chris Paul) and LeBron, and those are good options, but I feel we are a good option.’’

Anthony has a no-trade clause, and it is believed he wants to steer his destination toward Houston, where he can team with Paul and James Harden. But to get to Houston, a third-team will likely need to be involved in a trade, which is where Portland has entered the conversation.

The Blazers, however, do not want to help Houston gain another star, and instead are hopeful to convince Anthony that he can win, and perhaps win big now, in Portland alongside Lillard, McCollum and blossoming center Jusuf Nurkic. However, it is unclear whether Anthony would waive his no-trade clause to come to Portland.

That's why Lillard and McCollum reached out - to change his view of Portland by assuring him he would be wanted.

“He’s Carmelo Anthony,’’ Lillard said. “You add another guy who can score 50. Over the last decade, he’s been one of best players in the league. Playing against him he’s a cerebral player. He’s smart. He played in the triangle. I can only imagine what it would be like to have him isolating on one side, and CJ in the corner, and me in opposite wing and Nurk on the opposite … I could only imagine how tough it would be to guard us.’’

That Lillard and McCollum reached out privately to Anthony is consistent with their public pursuit of NBA stars this offseason since the Blazers were swept in the first round of the playoffs by Golden State.

On social media, both Lillard and McCollum pushed a pursuit of former Indiana star Paul George, a desire that Blazers president of basketball operations Neil Olshey pursued by making a trade offer centered around the team’s three draft picks on the Monday before the NBA Draft. Indiana turned down the offer and instead traded George to Oklahoma City for Victor Oladipo and Domantas Sabonis.

Later, in July, McCollum shared a promo on social media that showed Anthony wearing a No. 7 Trail Blazers uniform.

“I mean, what’s the worst that can happen?’’ McCollum said when asked about pursuing players via social media. “If you want something you go get it, if it doesn’t work out, it doesn’t work out. But I think it’s important if you want a free agent, you let them know, you have to express that. Sometimes (a player) is just reading articles and doesn’t know what going on, but if you speak directly you can give them an idea of exactly what you are thinking.’’

For Lillard, this summer has been another step in his becoming more vocal and more active in trying to recruit players to Portland. Last summer, he visited with Dwight Howard and Chandler Parsons during free agency, and this season he has been behind pursuing George and Anthony.

“I want to win a championship. It’s that simple,’’ Lillard said. “After my rookie year I’ve been in the playoffs every year and the playoffs are fun … but at this point we need a breakthrough. I’m tired of watching … each year it bothers me more.’’

Both Lillard and McCollum said they feel Olshey is listening to them, and that he is trying to improve the roster.

“Like I said, I do my job and I’ll allow them to do their job, but there comes a point where we have to improve individually with what we have but also we have to improve as everybody else improves their roster,’’ Lillard said.

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Portland is acting like that scrub realtive at the Thanksgiving dinner that cant stop talking **** but everyone knows is a total loser yet no one says anything because they don't want to ruin the party.

5. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Low key tho... Portland or any other city can have Anthony honestly. At this point it's either Anderson, Nanu, and a 1st for Anthony or bust. Gordon, Ariza, and Capela aren't going to get traded, and the Rockets should be perfectly content going into next season with Ryno as the starting 4 if we can't rob the Knicks for Anthony.

Anderson's value is pretty low right now and it can only go up especially with the entire team being better now, and next season he will just be owed 2 years instead of 3 years. Plus CP3 might make Ryan look more better than Harden ever could.

Harkless + POR's 2018 first round pick is 100% better than anything we can offer New York because realistically that pick would be around 18 to 25 if they add Melo. Our pick will be 26 to 29 if we add Melo.
    We'll still likely be better than the Blazers if they get their "big" four lmao so it's no sweat off my back.

Honestly, I don't know why the Raptors don't go after Melo if Melo ever thinks he has to expand his list. Lowry, Derozan, and Melo all played in the Olympics together and Lowry and Derozan are better than Lillard and McCollum. I might rather have Jonas than Harkless if I were the Knicks.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Seeing his quote in full context changes everything.

Thanks jr

Streets 01 likes this.
  7. Vivi

Vivi Member

I mean, never say never i guess...but yeah, it's not like i expect Melo to tell them "Hey Dame, thanks for trying but i prefer Houston, Paul and Harden over Portland, you and CJ"...more like "Yeah, would be cool to play togehter...who knows...we'll see"

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Portand has been ultra thirsty all off-season. It's a really sloppy look. They've been sliding into the DM's of every high-profile Free agent. gross.

Blazers should show a little self-respect.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

Fraudriguez said to squash all that Melo to Portland talk

bilaal14, DonKnock and justtxyank like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

I expect Dame to leave Portland when he's a free agent...can't attract any good players to go to the Blazers, and they don't win in the playoffs

Why stay?

How do u get stuck with the contracts of Turner, Crabbe, and Leonard in just 1 offseason?

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden recruits CP3 behind the scenes and gets it done. Lillard and CJ have to resort to lame social media tactics to try and get players to join them.

Richie_Rich and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  12. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

The thought of Portland with Melo just doesn't strike any fear in my heart. Idk. I can't make myself feel strongly about it.

Vivi and Jayzers_100 like this.
  13. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Hes a non confrontational bruh. He never clapped back at phil and doesnt want to talk to mills about stayin with the knicks.

He prolly just hit him with a couple of polite "yeah ill seriously consider it bruh, we'll see"s when dame hit him up

14. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

the nba is blocking this deal.. its anywhere but houston for melo. Gotta make sure the warriors continue to make the finals againist the cavs for tv ratings

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Fake news

Not surprising considering the poster

davidio840, Vivi and Reeko like this.
  16. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

keep thinking the nba doesnt want the warriors in the finals again lol. the tv networks are getting their asses handed to them on that nba deal signed in 2013. they are losing money

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

However, Damian, we have one of his old-time best friends in Chris Paul, and an MVP candidate in James Harden. Who are you?
    Hmm. Interesting. Our team is arguably top 2 in the West and Melo gives us a puncher's chance to be best in the league, so...
    /Article

18. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

You are right. The nba gave Ryan that contract AND the nba made He Knicks a bunch of morons...

19. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

no but i promise you the nba had something to do with paul george going to the thunder for oladipo and freakin sabonis, and also cousins for buddy hield

also the nba decided to push the nba awards because the 3 and 6 matchup was looking like a lock since feb, dont wanna embarrass mr. triple double

When i tell you the league hates harden and dont want him to suplant their golden boy curry, i mean it. They want harden to go the joe johnson or kevin durant route to get a ring, it must have killed them, when harden signed that deal

Also i know for a fact the media has it out for morey and the rockets, that means bleacher report, si, espn, turner sports and all else. Because of Harden and his beard its a status symbol to the elite that they hate

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Harden > Lillard
    Gordon > McCullum
    Paul > anyone on their entire team
    rest of the the rockets > the rest of their weak ass b**** team

Pen15clubber likes this.