1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Life isnt that bad.......

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drewdog, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Ok lets see here. Mo goes out for the season, and all of the sudden panic sets in and our season is over???

No way. Im not going to succumb to the Rockets being lottery bound in 2001-2002. Since when was Mo our golden child? Hell half of us on this board weren't too impressed with his game anyways. Sure we loved the fact that the dude could shoot the ball, but lets try and assess what we really lost:

1. About 15 to 18 points a game.

Answer: Glen Rice gets you at least 12, Cat and Wink can make up the rest.

2. About 5 rebounds.

Answer: Hopefully (fingers crossed) Cato can grab a few more boards, or we pick up a PF/C who can do the job.

Yep thats about it.

I dont think our season is over by any means, and any true Rocket fan that thinks it is, shouldnt be posting on Clutchcity.net

2. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Mo gave us a front court presence and without him this year we don't have one. Name a team that didn't have either a rebounder or a scorer from the 4 or 5 position that won the championship!?! That is why we will miss Mo. Even though the scoring could be replaced, the presence will not be.

3. hitman21

hitman21 Member

Who's talking about winning a championship? Not this year my friend. The Rockets will be fine.

4. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Paging Mr.Thomas, Mr. Kenny Thomas please pick up the white courtesy phone.

5. knifejc

knifejc Member

I agree with Drewdog & Hitman21, Mo will be missed that goes without saying, but its not like he was lighting it up every game, Its not like he was a real low post presence, and no one was scared of his defense. In many instances he just seemed average at best.

I can't be too harsh on him cause i didn't get to see him in too many games, the only thing i have to go on are the few games i was able to catch on the league pass and through stats and recaps.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Drewdog, you forgot depth as something we will miss. We are now one Cato injury away from The Horry--Kenny playing Center!

7. Drewdog

Depth......Good point....lets think about that.

If we can get a quality PF/C who can fill Mo's shoes then I think we will have addressed or maybe even exceeded those issues. Think about a PF/C who can get 12/8 a night (Mason or Jackson)
    hmmm.

I dont really consider Mo an inside presence, although he could definitely go 1 on 1 with anyone offensively.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, let's think about it, indeed.

Before the injury we needed Jahidi White or Jackson and had no means of obtaining Mason. After the injury, we still need White or Jackson and suddenly have some means to get Mason---not likely, short of several miracles to include getting granted a very rare exception.

White or not, we needed him before, and need more now. 3 men and a 19yr 220 boy is not enough to compete for 82 games. Adding a 4th man only gets back where we were at indisputably less offense.

You cannot dismiss a huge hit to depth by saying we will land Mason. That is pure speculation.

Besides, you cannot compare Mason's or Jackson's points with Mo'. Mo' scored 16 ppg at the height of our success last year, when the offense was finally clicking. Mason and Jackson scored extra points last year, because of vast injuries to their respective offenses. Saying Mason picked up some of Zo's slack does not mean that guy can score 13ppg in our perimeter offense.

imo. you are in a dreamcast world of statistical denial to think we aren't severely hurt on depth and offense, in an already depleted front line. We are now in deep do do with an ill-performing Cato, White/Jackson or not....forget Mason.

dreamcasting away this bad injury is denial.

9. Drewdog

Ok maybe I do have denial, but I think its important to stay positive. Hell the season isnt even close.....

You cant tell me that Mo was a fierce low post presence. He wasnt. He could shoot really well for a PF and thats about it. He was basically worthless on the defensive end, and we all know that he couldnt grab a rebound to save his ass.

Like I said, Glen Rice makes up for the scoring loss, and I think we can pick up the slack with a few big bodies to fill up the lane. But that is contingent upon CD and Rudy working there magic. Denial? Perhaps, but I will forever remain optimistic about reaching the playoffs.