1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Life Expectancy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Jun 15, 2011.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Interesting article on our decline and how societal trends can have ripple effects across the country.

The map is somewhat predictable...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

It still amazes me that there are so many people opposed to government funded anti-smoking/obesity movements.

3. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

What the hell is going on in that one small section of California?

4. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

That's just Oakland being Oakland.

5. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

I'm not sure I want to live into my 80's, by that time you're too old to even take care of yourself to the degree you do nowadays.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I suspect far less people smoke now than in previous years

Rocket River

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I would suspect more open season on humans by corporations
    from Big Pharma flooding the market with needless drugs
    to
    Big Industry pulluting the environment
    more than simple obesity - Which could be attributed to an extent to
    BIG FASTFOOD being able to pass anything off as healthy and the FDA rubber stamping it

They don't give a d*mn about people
    beyond them handing money over for profit margins
    If their companies make a extra billion a year
    but the cost is 1 yr off the life expectency of even AMERICAN
    well . . .that Americans will simply have to do without that year

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  8. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

It wouldn't bother me if Texas, or Harris County funded voluntary community rehabilitation and education services. It bothers me when the State of Texas or the federal government fund measures criminalizing vice or manipulating vice markets in some misguided attempt to legislate morality. It's common sense.

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

Pathetic, with all of our advances in health care technology, there's no reason we're not living longer.

10. Steve_Francis_rules

Health care technology can only do so much when people refuse to take care of themselves.

11. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Let's really make this into a D&D thread. What's the reason behind the south's life expectancy disparity?

1) Due to lack of education of eating/living healthy in the south.
    or
    2) Due to southern states not regulating the healthcare industry in their specific states.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's not Oakland.

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

The interesting demographic that I noticed first on that map is that almost every region dominated by Native Americans has a declining life expectancy. That's odd to me, but interesting.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think even regions with relatively large Native American populations aren't really dominated by Native Americans.

What region do you feel is actually dominated by Native Americans?

There are parts of MN, AZ, NM, OK, and FLA with significant populations of Native Americans, but I wouldn't say any of them were really dominated by them.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

The trick is to do how they do it in Spain, a friend of mine lives over there, and they have a nationalized health care plan. The trick is, they tax you for being overweight, smoking, or eating excessive fast food(I think he said if you weigh over x amount of kilos and you get anything bigger than small at McD's there's a surcharge. It, at least in thoery, encourages people and gives them the financial incentive to be healthy.

2 people like this.
  16. da_juice

da_juice Member

I wonder if it's the same reason Native americans have trouble with alcohol, because their genetic code gave them bodies that aren't used to eating such crap.

17. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Southern and Western Oklahoma, for one. That's what made me notice it. But parts of Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, the Dakotas. On that map, a lot of the red spots outside of the South correspond with big reservations.

18. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

It's Lake County, a sparsely populated (60,000) county near the Napa Valley.

19. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Life on Indian reservations is pretty crappy, comparable to third world countries.

20. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Let people make their choices in life. If they eat crappy and don't take care of themselves than they die earlier than those that do.

Pretty straightforward in my book. Just as its not the governments job to legislate morality its not their job to legislate choices and health either.

And don't blame McDonalds. They are just serving what their constituents want. Their job is to provide what their customers want at an adequate price that they can profit and the customer can enjoy their purchase. They're not secretly plotting to turn the US into fata$$es.

Food in Europe is much less healthy but they have a sense of portion control, whereas Americans don't seem to.