1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Liberal Media "reporting" of the past...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DavidS, Jul 14, 2004.

1. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

In the past, the "liberal media" and "journalism" consisted of outlandish claims, baseless accusations, and fear mongering?

Remember?

Don't eat this. Don't eat that. You might die!
    Don't each saccharin. It causes cancer!
    Don't let your kids eat Halloween candy, razor blades!
    Don't buy anything. Scam artist are rampant!
    Don't spank your kids. Child abuse!
    Don't say, "Black, brown, or colored. Or you're a racist!"
    Don't breath the air. You might choke!
    Don't get out of bed. You might fall!
    Are your kids safe!?
    Lock your houses! We are not safe! Crime is growing!
    African Killer Bees are coming from south America!
    Help!

Sigh...Remember this type of reporting?

I remember this well. It was getting out of hand. You'd hear this from environmental, social services and civil groups.

Today, it seems like the right-wing "news" outlet Fox, and others associated with the right-wing extreme, have adopted these same *tactics* that the liberal media of the past used before.

So, today...
    The "conservative media" and "journalism" consist of outlandish claims, baseless accusations, and fear mongering (Fox).

The "conservatives" have learned well. They had good teachers. The liberals themselves.
    ;)

P.S. It's important to note that while the current strain of extreme conservatives use the same liberal tactics, their agendas are different. Liberals want strong welfare state, lean towards a social system, strong civil rights and liberal free speech. The extreme conservatives want a strong authoritarian state, lean towards a modern fascist system, weak civil rights and little free speech.

Beware of the extremes!

#1 DavidS, Jul 14, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2004
  2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

BRB-- I have to go beat up some gay people, but I have something to say about these charges.

3. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Power to the people?

Turn off your TV! That'll show 'em.

4. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Yeah, I've got a couple of crosses to burn, then I'm going to pick up my white robes and hoods from the cleaners. Then I'm going to give the master leader of our race his daily tribute, heil! :rolleyes:

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Say hi for me, and while you're at it, ask him why he allowed those nasty American League minority players to tee off on our master race favorite son Roger Clemens last night!:D

6. DavidS

Not saying you subscribe to these ideas. But rather, the Fox media does appeal to the people that do.

I mean, do you honestly think that KKK people would watch PBS? Or Fox? Which? Which one would be more likely?

All I'm saying is this. Ask yourself what type of people Fox news is targeting. Not just the moderate conservatives base. But the extremes right as well.

#6 DavidS, Jul 14, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2004
  7. giddyup

Two things:

1. Everybody who watches has to choose something to watch

2. If Fox targeted those lunatic fringes they would not still be in business.

I get your drift, but your effect has been to equate "conservatives" with the lunatic fringe.

I'm a moderate Republican: I'm conservative about some things (i.e. National Autonomy, Right to Life, and National Defense) while I'm liberal about other things (gay marriage/gun laws).

Who should I watch? Who do you think I watch?

8. DavidS

We're kinda getting off topic.
    Not saying that the conservatives are a lunatic group. But that the tactics that the Fox media uses to get the conservative base riled up and their tactics in "news reporting." That's what I was pointing out. In that, I was just making an observation in how they seem to be the "liberal conservative channel." They use the same type of questioning that the liberal media used before: outlandish claims, baseless accusations, and overblown reporting; traitor, anti-american, flag buring commie!. Not because Fox is after the truth. But because they want to rile up their conservative base; viewership.

As far as YOU. Hmmm. Well, you are more moderate than you were about two years ago.

Who do you watch. Watch them all.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I really don't think people in the KKK are sitting around watching Fox News all day...

10. bamaslammer

I doubt the KKK or Neo-nazis would watch Foxnews. Strongly. I think it is hilarious that you need to state that conservatives are bunch of facist, racist (every bad 'ism you could think of) bastards and try to link that with Fox News. Do you know any conservatives or are you getting your info straight from the Goebbels clearinghouse known as Moveon.org or Commondreams.org? I'm a libertarian (liberal on social issues such as drug laws and prostititution, conservative on defense spending, aggressive foreign policy, govt. spending, etc.) so before you start painting the right with a nasty broad brush, be careful.

RMT, as for Clemens, maybe Piazza was tipping off the AL batters?
    "Here comes the deuce and when you speak of me, speak well." I'm a conspiracy theorist when it comes to that.

11. RocketMan Tex

Were you listening to Rome today? He was all over the "conspiracy theory" angle. My take is that Roger wasn't concentrating as hard as usual, due to all of the All Star hoopla he was involved in over the weekend.

In addition, my other take is that as Roger was getting lit up, Piazza was giggling heartily to himself. I do not think he was tipping off pitches.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

it could also be he was on 2 days rest, right??

he's commented before that his velocity doesn't get going until the 2nd inning. all his pitches last night, as i understand it, were around 90 mph. that's batting practice for the AL All Stars

13. RocketMan Tex

Plus they were way out over the plate, from what I saw on replays last night. Just a bad pitching night for ol' Roger.

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Yeah, but very rarely was this about liberalism. Anything that has to do with death, scams, injury, sickness, etc. is not about liberal or conservative. It is about FEAR which drives people to watch which drives up ratings which drives up ad rates.

This isn't to say that some media outlets don't have slants one way or the other. Some definitely do. But the majority of the broadcast media could give a crap whether you are democrat or republican as long as you tune in and watch.

I remember that thing from the movie Private Parts where the guy was telling the program director that people who hated Howard Stern listened to him longer each day than people who loved him, but both groups listened for the same reason: to see what he would say next.

Controversy and fear drive ratings. Ratings drive ad rates. Ad rates increase revenues and line the pockets of shareholders. It's business.

15. bamaslammer

I never listen to Rome. I'd rather watch paint dry or grass grow before I'd listen to that blowhard. I really think that it was possible that Piazza had possibly given his signs to the AL All-Stars and they just read them immediately. But then again, I don't think it would have mattered if they knew what he was throwing, because whatever it was did not work at all!

I know Piazza was loving it. If I was Piazza, I would be.

16. bamaslammer

As a media professional, we have an axiom: if it bleeds, it leads. Death, chaos, mental illness, sex, sex and more sex sell magazines. They bring in huge ratings. Who the hell wants to watch good news anyhow? People tune in because they are driven by fear. The more paranoid you make people, the more they watch so you can charge higher advertising rates. As far as I'm concerned, all of the TV news channels (Fox or CNN or MSNBC or the not-so-big-anymore Three) are one and the same. When you realize that their purpose is making money, not giving you an unbiased view of the day's events, you tend to take their message with a grain of salt.

17. giddyup

If I am more moderate it is barely; the only position I'm aware of shifting hardly at all on is gun ownership. I'm not down with AK-47s proliferating.

What do you think I am more moderate about?

I usually watch MSNBC with the occasional forays into Fox News and the situational sortie towards CNN.

18. giddyup

Isn't this the central thesis of "Bowling for Columbine" and exactly what Moore is guilty of as regards "Farenheit 9/11?"

19. RocketMan Tex

It's the central thesis of this Administration's many terror warnings.

20. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

But, that is an opinion in a documentary film. There is a significant difference between op ed and news. Everyone with half a brain knows that Moore is painting the picture he wants us to see.

bama is dead on correct. These are, after all, major corporations that do broadcast news. Their main agenda is making money.