1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Liberal comedian suggests the Ching-Chong Ding-Dong Foundation for Sensitivity to Orientals or Whate

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Mar 28, 2014.

1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Oh I agree with you and the article 100% that it's inane and Asians have way more serious racism to overcome and actually find the joke and Colbert himself very funny. I just find the outrage against Suey Park and the "Oh get over yourselves Asians, you don't know what real racial struggle is" mantra annoying.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Sorry, but she destroyed that guy and he just ignored everything she said and read the next question on his list. He doesn't seem that bright but he knew what to make fun of at the end.

3. Joe-House

Joe-House Rookie

Asians whining about racism? They are the most racist people on the planet.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Imagine if this were Asian Jeopardy. We'd have #cancelSNL trending.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VWuJHbVZBQg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Asians are pretty damn racist. Especially those that come from abroad to the US. Homogenous societies are bad, diversity is great.

6. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Coming from the OP, this thread is laughable. Hypocritical, for sure.

7. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

it's pretty ridiculous that she is complaining about being patronized and then goes on to paint all white men with the same brush claiming they have no perspective

8. Bandwagoner

She had a point that he was talking over her. He completely ignored all of her responses. Anything after that was fair game. I think she destroyed him.

9. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

then she continued to stereotype every white male with his behavior. she was just being hypocritical even if she had some good points

10. Bandwagoner

And it proved to get him to acknowledge something she said. Just like she said in the opening, no one pays attention to reasonable statements so to get any attention over the top claims have to be made. ie CANCEL colbert instead of "Colbert that requires an on air apology"

Before she said that the guy was just talking over her valid arguments and going down an obvious list of pre planned questions rather than engaging in a conversation IMO.

Honestly that interview proved her point.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Not really.

12. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Yeah, not at all.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's not a binary answer. For one thing that bucktooth Jerry Lewis routine is an amalgalm of Japanese and Chinese groups that lived during that time. There are billion+ non-Chinese/Japanese/Indians who are still considered Asians and some of those groups that immigrate here end up dirt poor and could live in slave-like conditions. It sucks that they're lumped into other groups that people feel have "made it".

I don't consider myself oppressed as a Chinese American. I'm removed from the Chinese Americans who were segregated along with the other Coloreds in the 1800s or were under immigration and marriage quotas, or quarantined into Chinatowns at the edge of cities. They're great tourist spots today though. Most of the Asians you see now are of First or Second generation immigrants.

It's a good thing that that context is lost because it's a lot better, but it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I don't think Jewish people are oppressed either. Doesn't mean they don't stand up for themselves when it comes to issues that matter to them, rightly or wrongly justified in the eyes of public opinion. Also, in that context, anti-Semitic complaints doesn't inevitably devolve into an issue about race or comparisons with Hispanics or Blacks.

That's more of an analogy and a lot less of a complaint. Asians owe a lot of debt to Black and Hispanic civil rights leaders in the past. I just think about these things in principle and the bar needing to be reached by people with multi-cultural ideals.

This. The reaction has been more annoying. I guess one can brush off Suey Park receiving death and rape threats as just the internets, as she herself is.

I don't like the obligation that every Asian has to brush off jokes made by white people in the media rather than letting Asians telling the jokes themselves. It's a sticky principle that I think will resolve over time.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#cancelcobert IS SATIRE you boobs. She has said as much. Geez. She's a fan of Colbert.

The whole white man is the enemy thing is a bit of satire in and off itself. She's not really all that much different.

Her satirical point is a bit lost though. Because the idea that somehow it's ok for white liberals to use racist language under the guise of mocking racism as illegitimate is basically saying that there is no such thing as satire.

Satire is a powerful means to fight racism. What Colbert did wasn't just use Asian stereotypes to mock Dan Snyder, he's still saying that the Asian stereotype is ridiculous as well. Suey Park and Bigtexxx have a lot in common - they are both trolls, but Suey Park is a far more skillful and crafty one (even at the age of 23). While still she's young and her attempt is clumsy and lacks an articulate and salient point, she has accomplished some of her goals which is to help bring attention to the idea of whether or not a white person has the right to use stereotypes if they are "liberal". It's an interesting idea.

Ok, so taken genuinely, she's trying to challenge the notion of white men being above the fray in using stereotypes as a laugh as doing anything in the fight against racism, while she is doing the very same thing with #cancelcolbert. However, in admitting she is not being genuinely offended by Colbert's comments (and that she is a fan who laughs at what he says), she's being ironically disingenuous in her campaign which in my eyes does more to trivialize real racism and reduce it to words and political correctness.

Instead of playing these types of games, she should pay attention to how stereotypical images are negatively impacting asians in their ability to achieve their goals.

Anyone can be an opportunist and this will certain help her build he personal brand, but it's so cynical in it's execution that it only makes the general public more likely to agree to the counter charge that someone is just doing something for personal reward in real discriminatory situations. But perhaps she's smart enough to know that she will increase her influence and have more of a voice by playing the same type of games Colbert does, albeit with a more cynical agenda.

And no, I am not back.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

^^^^
    here we see a perfect illustration of Ace's proposition: White Liberals Decide Who The Racists Are

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except that Suey Park has said she wasn't offended and was just doing this to create a conversation.

Do you get that? Do you even read what I wrote because it has nothing to do with "deciding" who is racist or not.

I'm reminded of that NPR April's Fool joke where they show how many people don't even read something before responding.

17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

How clever of "Ace" (um, who?)that he gets to speak for the white liberals about the very subject of being immune to saying racist things, all the while interjecting phrases like Gook, Yellowface, and stupid Korean woman into his terribly written piece.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

We should let the racists decide who the racists are. That will work.

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Yellowface is not a pejorative, it's a descriptor of Colbert's act.

"Gook" was a quote from Deadspin.

"stupid Korean woman" was Ace's descriptor of White Liberals' dismissive posture toward Suey Park, not his personal feelings about her.

But again, your post proves Ace's point. He doesn't go around throwing charges of racism at people like Dan Snyder. White Liberals like Colbert do that.

Except when people like Colbert say racist things, White Liberals suddenly decide "intent matters" (it's ok for Colbert to say racist things if it's satire). Dan Snyder is not afforded the same accommodation.

Suey Park is complaining about the double standard. Neither Snyder nor Colbert have racist intent, but only Colbert is given a pass.

20. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I heard Colbert is first in line for Letterman's job. That would be cool!